MINI Cooper Forum banner

121 - 140 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
how do I remove the plastic trim panel?

You have to first remove the plastic trim panel that runs along the bottom of the door opening, then it could be anywhere in the taped up loom between the front edge of the drivers seat & the BC1 unit in the footwell sidewall.
Let us know how you get on - with pictures if possible :)
I'm certain that the diode is the problem with my son's 2001 mini one. This thread has been really helpful. My problem - how do I remove the plastic trim panel?
I've taken the rubber door seal off but I can't see any screws or other fixings and I'm worried that I might break the trim panel if I apply too much force.

Drew

·
Damned
4,520 Posts
....I've taken the rubber door seal off but I can't see any screws or other fixings and I'm worried that I might break the trim panel if I apply too much force.
Drew
The trim panels use a simple 'push-fit' fixing that is pressed into holes in the inner sill. Just get a couple of large flat bladed screwdrivers into the edge nearest the door opening to prise them away - Theyre pretty strong so dont worry about breaking anything (he says hopefully) ::smile::
...been ages since I uploaded any photos, lets see if I can remember how....

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought a 2002 mini about 2 weeks ago now.
When buying it I noticed the drivers side tail light out.
A few minutes later I noticed the front drivers side parking light was out.
That night I realized also both lights around the tires out.

So I went and bought some bulbs and replaced the front parking light and nothing!
Replaced the tail light and nothing. Uh oh.

Drive up to mini and they said it would be 140$ to diagnose the problem.
I came in for my appointment and looked at the new minis.

An hour later they tell me that they changed bulbs and diodes and that wasn't the issue. No ****??
So now they say they need another hour and another 140$.
So I said go ahead because I ain't leaving with 140 light and no answer.
An hour later they said the problem is the bc1 module as they plugged theirs in and it worked. It would be $1260 to fix. Also under the carpet is wet. They did a water test on the windshield and the sunroof which passed.
So I asked for a manager and said you are a bunch of snakes!
Tell me 140 then after an hour tell me it's another 140 and I will only pay for one fee as I was told from the beginning.

I paid and left. Now I need a new bc1 and fix where the water comes in.

This seems to be a huge deal with so many getting wet and where does the water come from, does anyone know?

We should not have to pay for something that seems to be a malfunction with their product!!
This should be a recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Latest update:

Mine's a 2006 so the diode is integrated in the BCM, so we tried to get to that to do some testing. I got to it but couldn't get it out, so I took it in to the local German car mechanic and got a diagnostic.

Definitely the BCM and going to put me out $900. I knew going into this that it would be expensive but [email protected]
Oh, I wish I found this sooner, after spending 30 minutes in a 90º garage pulling up trim and carpet looking for the diode. :crying:

Mine's a 2006 US mini, and I didn't see the diode either. I looked down about 30" of the wiring harness from the BC1. So I'll assume you're correct and it's not integrated into the BC1.

It seemed like the diode issues in this thread were related to its position in the floor, and corroding due to moisture. If it's integrated in the BC1 now, I would think that would eliminate this problem with the diodes, unless these diodes just disintegrate over time.

·
Damned
4,520 Posts
.....If it's integrated in the BC1 now, I would think that would eliminate this problem with the diodes, unless these diodes just disintegrate over time.
Diodes in normal use are generally pretty indestructible, unless subjected to higher currents & voltages than were originally intended.

However like most electronic components, a little bit of moisture over a prolonged period will corrode & destroy them.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Diodes in normal use are generally pretty indestructible, unless subjected to higher currents & voltages than were originally intended.

However like most electronic components, a little bit of moisture over a prolonged period will corrode & destroy them.
Damn a member from the old mini 2 has returned.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Probably NOT the (elusive) diode in this case then.
Are they stuck on the whole time, or maybe randomly - BUT only whilst ignition is on?
If so might be worth taking a look at the actual brake light switch near the pedal - has been known to go wrong.
How hard would it be for someone with half a brain (she's doing an MPharm) to replace the brake light switch with no tools, if they'd never done any job on any car ever, (apart from check the oil, coolant and brake fluid) ?

I ask because we recently gave my daughter a 51 reg R50 Cooper, instead of trading it in, and she tells me the brake light is permanently on, but only when the ignition is on. As she's 220 miles, away at University, in Wales. I'm thinking of sending her a switch and telling her to phone the RAC. She has the "haynes book of lies and spells" in the boot, but it'll probably say "If anything doesn't work as it should contact your dealer"

·
Damned
4,520 Posts
How hard would it be for someone with half a brain (she's doing an MPharm) to replace the brake light switch with no tools, if they'd never done any job on any car ever, (apart from check the oil, coolant and brake fluid) ?
Found this 'HowTo' relating to an R56 Brake Switch - not sure if its exactly same as yours but take a picture of your footwell & compare
MINI Cooper R56 Brake Light witch and Clutch Switch Replacement (2007-2011) | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article

·
Registered
1 Posts
where is the cable to the high level brake light that you disconnected? My brake light is on but never was before we took it to the shop! it used to go off when i put the E-brake down but now its on all the time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, guys! I didnt read all the posts. but i specially registered to this forum to post this.

SO
1. if your Mini build date is later than 2003 august you will never find a diode! That info is 100% true. I am a mechanic, used to work at BMW dealership and have all diagrams.
2. if ur car is later(newer) 2003/8 then no diode. its gone. no more.
3. Ur car is later or before than 2003/8 but have the issue with brake lights and the diode is ok or diode doesnt solve the issue u may have the key/starter lock issue. contact issue inside. u can just change it or open it and repair the contacts.

I f this helped press like please.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi

I have a Mini One (2005) my brake lights are stuck on when I take the key out of the ignition, the indicators work on the outside of the car but the light sometimes does not flash on the dash, the dash sims etc etc. I thought I would try and replace this diode, I have brought one but I cannot find it? I have had the wiring loom out but there is no trace? Can anyone tell me if there is one in a Mini one?

Thanks, a struggling woman!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Found this 'HowTo' relating to an R56 Brake Switch - not sure if its exactly same as yours but take a picture of your footwell & compare
MINI Cooper R56 Brake Light witch and Clutch Switch Replacement (2007-2011) | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article
Working on my granddaughter's 2001 Mini Cooper. That is a good guide but it is not an easy job unless you study the pics closely, have good dexterity and cope well in confined spaces. After doing all of that the brake lights are still on and I have just located the diode. Looks like that's the next job. It's all a bit hard fought... and fraught!

·
Damned
4,520 Posts
.... I have just located the diode. Looks like that's the next job. It's all a bit hard fought... and fraught!
Welcome to MINI2 - been a long time since I said that {Sold my last one almost 6 years ago}
Hope the diode swap fixes it for you.
Why not take some pictures of it before & after - hardly any photos of this job around :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am writing this out of gratitude having followed the thread and the instruction set given by Pelican parts
Knackered Diode.jpg
Diode location.jpg
Diode location.jpg
New Diode installed.jpg
The car with the problem is a 52 plate UK 2002 Mini Cooper.
All brake lights were staying on permanently no matter whether I turned the ignition on and off, disconnected the battery or indeed after following the excellent instructions for replacement of the brake switch shown elsewhere on this thread.
I really did not want to go foraging under the carpet for the diode but had no choice when replacement of the brake switch did not achieve the desired result...
If you do that first it will cost £15 approx for the replacement switch. Study the pics closely on the Pelican parts instruction sheet.
If the new switch will not go in rotate it through 90 degrees and it should snap into place easily. That had me scratching my head for a while.
Talking of which an LED inspection light helps a lot as it is hard to see what you should be doing in the footwell.
When the new brake light switch did not work it was time to get brutal with the plastic trim after removing the rubber door seal.
Cannot mess about - just yank away till you get it out of the way. Not easy.
Next you need to go looking for that pesky diode.
It looks like this (see pic) and this is where it was located (next pic).
Access was not easy so I used a new and very sharp Stanley blade to slice my finger/cut the carpet base.
I also needed to cut away some of the tape on the wiring loom to free it up.
I wedged a long steel bar under the carpet so get better access but still chafed my wrist while my cut finger bled all over the floorpan.
Joy oh joy. The fix worked! The new diode only cost me £1.49 from Ebay. See pic of new one installed.
I think this must be a pretty regular occurrence because the Vendor has sold 87 of them.
I taped up the new diode as best I could having fought with it to plug it all back together in a confined space with a poorly bandaged finger.
Checked the brake lights once more (fine) then struggled with the plastic trim which went back kinda OK although not perfectly.
Some of the plastic fittings were unwilling to relocate but by now weak from loss of blood I was not going to bother too much.
Washed the car, vacuumed the interior and threw away the half filled coke cans and coffee cup and assorted other detritus.
Car is once more serviceable. Grandad is still a hero...

121 - 140 of 140 Posts