MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi new here today so be nice, just changed the front brake pad on the wifes cooper s and i need to know how to turn off the brake pad warning light thanks.dennis

·
Mini Madness
341 Posts
You need to buy a new sensor wire, as these wear through with the pads to indicate they need changing - check out eBay or your local dealer.

Chris

·
SUCKIN DIESEL!!!!
7,669 Posts
What year is the car?....as there is a detailed reset proceedure for all 06> 2nd gen cars once the sensor has been replaced!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I had to reset the light by diconnecting the battery for a length of time then reconnecting it. Remember not to close the boot after you have disconnected the battery as the boot lock is electrically operated - I did this and had to remove the child seats and the rear seat to find the emergency release cable.

This will only work if the sensor has been replaced.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Just looked back to when I asked the same question. Disconnect the battery for 10- 15 mins as this resets everything...........but remember the boot!

·
Registered
476 Posts
on the back of this, at what stage should the brake pad warning light come on?? I got new pads and discs on as dealers told me they were down to the last recommended mm before they need changed? Warning light hadn't come on by then

·
SUCKIN DIESEL!!!!
7,669 Posts
Theres only a sensor on one side front and rear.

I've been steel on steel before wih no light, just depends if one side waers slightly more than the other.
If the light doesn't come on then you've save yourself the price of a replacement sensor!

·
SUCKIN DIESEL!!!!
7,669 Posts
Not sure about MINI prices, but I know these are now available aftermarket from a good Motor factors, I recently managed to get one for my 06 Beemer - about £7

Cant imagine the sensor being much more than a tenner. If your fitting your own brake pads, you can fit the sensor - it just clips into the edge of the pad, and theres a plastic plug on the other end, which plug into the loom.
What year is the car?

·
MINI2 Torque Monkey
8 Posts
06 On R56 Minis

The latest model has condition based servicing which means that the pad sensor wears down with the pad. I changed my front pads and my service light said 1100 miles since!

It still has the wear-through warning light at the end of the pad life, but when I renew the pads, I'll be fastening this sensor up away from the wheels.
It doesn't take much to look inside the wheel to realise your pads are shot.

[I've got one from the dealer when I went in for a service. It was about £15.]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts