MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have a question about Brake Pad Sensors if someone would be so kind.

I had my front brake pads changed today by a local mechanic, he just changed the pads saying the sensors did not need replacing. I have searched these forums and tried all the recommended stuff to get the warning light to go out, but no luck.

Is there a way to reset it, or am I right in thinking that if the light has come on the sensors would always need replacing along with the pads?

Thanks

Laura

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
If the light has come on then the sensors need to be replaced as they work by wearing against the disc so are only useable once;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the light has come on then the sensors need to be replaced as they work by wearing against the disc so are only useable once;)
Thank you. He only changed the front pads, so only the front sensor needs to be changed?

Laura

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Thank you. He only changed the front pads, so only the front sensor needs to be changed?

Laura
As long as the it was only the front pads that needed changing, if the rears have gone then they will need to be done too along with the sensor there.

Once the sensor has been changed it might be necessary to disconnect the battery to reset the sensor but everything should fine then:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As long as the it was only the front pads that needed changing, if the rears have gone then they will need to be done too along with the sensor there.

Once the sensor has been changed it might be necessary to disconnect the battery to reset the sensor but everything should fine then:)
Thanks.

Laura

·
Obsessive Not Compulsive
413 Posts
Once the sensor has been replaced, all one need do to clear the dash light is turn the key to position 2, wait about 30 seconds and the computer will re-set and the light should be extinguished.
This worked on my '04 R50 Cooper, if you have an R56 there is no key to turn, so not sure if you would just push the start button without foot on clutch or brake so engine will not start?

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Once the sensor has been replaced, all one need do to clear the dash light is turn the key to position 2, wait about 30 seconds and the computer will re-set and the light should be extinguished.
This worked on my '04 R50 Cooper, if you have an R56 there is no key to turn, so not sure if you would just push the start button without foot on clutch or brake so engine will not start?
Thanks for that, its useful to know:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts