MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
FloridaMini
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new Mini Cooper S 3 weeks ago, and I LOVE IT!!! I've noticed though, after washing it every weekend, that the wheels seem to be getting extremely dirty and I think it's from the brake pads. Does anyone else have this problem?

·
"Big Munch"
90 Posts
Everyone Does, Wash Or Wipe Often :d

·
motorist
208 Posts
MINI brake pads are a great argument against white wheels. You can replace them with other brands that are cleaner.

·
Registered
135 Posts
there's basically a break in period for brake pads. So you WILL see a lot of break dust for the first little while. There's no way to avoid it. Just clean your wheels regularly and it'll be fine.

·
motorist
208 Posts
I have 22,000 miles on my pads and the dust has not yet let up. I think the break-in period is the same as the wear-out period!

·
Fly it like you stole it!
95 Posts
I put EBC Green Stuff brake pads on mine and it was amazing the difference, they say it cuts your brake dust down 80-85% and I beleive it. By far one of the best investments I have made. I basically have ZERO brake dust on my wheels, I love it, and the brake performance is increased with the EBC, trust me everyone, do it.

·
International Merrymaker
426 Posts
I have EBCs on order, and am going to throw them on as soon as the tools get here :D

·
MINI Traitor
4,974 Posts
Choprpilot76 said:
I put EBC Green Stuff brake pads on mine and it was amazing the difference, they say it cuts your brake dust down 80-85% and I beleive it. By far one of the best investments I have made. I basically have ZERO brake dust on my wheels, I love it, and the brake performance is increased with the EBC, trust me everyone, do it.
I fitted them, and they do make noticably less dust, but they still get dirty eventually. Also, if you are an enthusiastic driver, there is a very good chance they will warp your discs :( They have done it to mine twice, so now I have to throw the factory rotors away. I've switched back the the factory pads because they work better. It's not worth the agrivation IMHO for a little bit of cleaning :(

·
International Merrymaker
426 Posts
...but how agressive is agressive? I like to get on it sometimes, but I am not usually activating the ABS system.

·
Only Unbalanced
924 Posts
Greenstuff? Yeah, or nay

swamos said:
. Also, if you are an enthusiastic driver, there is a very good chance they will warp your discs :( They have done it to mine twice, so now I have to throw the factory rotors away. :(

Ah ha! I was searching for just this topic!

I had Greenstuff on my 2002 S. My rotors warped, but I didn't think anything of it.

I asked an aftermarket enthusiast garage about them for my upcoming MCSC and he said he won't install them because many people have come back with warped rotors.

I know there is an aftermarket alternative (Mintex, maybe?) Anyone have any success with these pads?

The dust ain't making it. And, I must say, the greenstuff pads stop on a dime! I DO want something else.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
I've done this research until I beat it into the floor. There is plenty here on MINI2 and even more on NAM.

There are just too many reports of scoring and warping with the greenstuffs.
There's not a single report of it with the Mintex.
The mintex are even cheaper.
Both generate little brake dust and good for street performance.

I've had the mintex on for just over 1000mi now, including an autocross, and am very very happy with them.

·
0.1mpg (Miles per Grin)
281 Posts
Discs

I've yet to own a car that doesn't shed brake dust onto the wheels. 19 years and counting. I think it's something to do with the way disc brakes work. Then again, I'm from the 'Turn The Key And It Goes' school of thought, rather than the 'How On Earth Does It Do That' school.

·
MINI Traitor
4,974 Posts
DUCTTAPE said:
But they're not GREEN!

Seriously, do the Mintex grip as well?

thx
I didn't even find that they stoped all that well. I could anways feel the factory pads pulling the car down at the rear when coasting to the lights :( Now that I'm back to standard, the cars stops much better :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts