MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having huge problems with the brakes on my 2004 MCS. I replaced the front discs and pads late last year. Front EBC standard discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads (not really road legal!) anyway they destroyed the discs in about 4000 miles and I had to replace the front discs and pads again. Warped, brake wobble etc etc.

This time, I was skint....... bought a Mintex brake box set and replaced the front discs and pads. Have driven the car really sensibly (get around 32mpg) and I've got really bad wobble through the steering wheel and brake pedal while braking relatively heavily. I always use a run-out gauge while fitting the discs and know they've been straight when first fitted.

The current set are not warped through heavy use, I've heard rumours about brake pad deposits on the discs upsetting disc wear and ultimately leading to a lot of feedback/wobble through the steering wheel. Not convinced though................

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Any suggestions?

It's been suggested to go for drilled or drilled and grooved discs (Black Diamonds) to help them from getting too hot and hopefully find a solution that lasts longer than 4000 miles!

Any advice would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
10 Posts
OK first make sure that the discs are now warped by putting a DTI on the discs to check for runout. If they are then either have them skimmed or replace them.
I don't know how hard you are on brakes but getting 32mpg would indicate that you don't fly about too much. If that is the case, Brembo O/E discs are of very good quality and if you want a bit more bite from the pads then EBC green stuff are a good fast road pad.

If the discs are not warped then have a look at the lower arm bushes because if they are worn when you brake the wheel will move back in the arch changing the caster angle and causing the car to wobble/pull and be generally unstable.

Good luck

Sean

·
Registered
4 Posts
Massive Brake Wear

Hi guys

I track my mini frequently on tarmac races, supersprints and track days. for the last year i have been having massive issue with brake wear.

I am currently running DBA slotted rotars, braided lines and endless pads. My issue is that I am wearing through a set of the rotars and pads every day. At my last track day i wore through a pair of endless pads is 2 circa 20 minute sessions.

I track my car with a number of other minis (doing similar times) which don't suffer from similar wear issues.

The brakes generally feel inconsistent, sometimes they bite and the abs cuts in and does its job, other times the wheels are partially locking up (the abs is not cutting in when it should be) and other times there is no bite or abs at all and the brakes feel like two hard sponges pushing together.

My mechanic is at a loss to explain.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Trent

1 - 3 of 3 Posts