MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
MINI Owner!
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Cooper for a couple of weeks now and only have 500 miles on it (I know I need to drive it more! I plan on doing so since it is now winter break and there is no school for 2 weeks!). It's a stick and my Dad and I can both drive it and I'd like to teach my Mom (seems only right!). However, I'm having second thoughts since she's NEVER driven a stick before and there's no telling what she could do to the engine :p. Since my car's not broken in yet should I wait until that mark or not worry about it and let her try? Eesh... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
26 Posts
My new Cooper was the first stick I ever drove, so I can personally say it seems to be a pretty beginner-resilient car. I stalled it a lot at first, but never heard any grinding sounds or experienced funny smells. One time I parked the car, put it into neutral, and then decided I should put it into reverse. I had already taken my foot off the clutch and was yanking really hard, wondering why it was suddenly so hard to shift. I finally did manage to muscle it into reverse without the clutch, at which point the engine immediately shut off. No nasty grinding sounds or anything.

Dante's still going strong 20,000 miles later, so I'm sure yours could survive your mom. :)

·
Slippery When Wet
2,556 Posts
Yes. Absolutely teach her. Everyone should know how to drive a stick... even if its just as a "just in case." Plus I'm sure you'll be more patient with her than your Dad would be ;) At least thats how it would be in my family :rolleyes:

I learned how to drive a manual on my Cooper. They are resilient little buggers. She couldn't possibly do that much damage.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Teach her. You can't put your Mini above helping your mum! Anyway it'll be tough enough
not to come to any harm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.