MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys, Im currently working on new GTT '3 in 1' Top Suspension Mounts ,these have to be ready for testing on the CC Mini action day at the end of the month, so I'm completing all drawings this week, and we'll be cutting metal the following week.
We call them '3 in1' as there are 3 issues with the stock mounts we want to illiminate all in one product.
1) GTT mounts will use large heavy duty spherical bearings...this allows 12 degrees of misalignment with zero positional deviation of the rotational centre point. You can never achieve this with a mount that has any sort of rubber or other compliment material encompassing a conventional ball race. -No rubber also means no chance of wearing or splitting. :cool:
2) GTT mount design includes effective 'Anti Mushroom' . -The GTT top mount flange is much thicker than other designs ,but more importanty ,it spans right out to the edges and into the corners of the bodywork towers. This will make a huge difference .It spreads the load over a greater area and pushes where the bodywork is stongest...in the corners. Any reinforcement needs to be UNDER the tower, a thick plate clamped on top (even 2 inches thick and made of kryptonite) isnt going to do very much, except look strong.
3) We are increasing camber from stock 0.5 deg to 1.0 deg. TBH this is IMO the perfect setup for fast road & trackdays. Your not going to trash your tyres because of the minimal increase on the road,and thats plenty enough for the track. If we can muller everything on the track on the stock 0.5 deg think what 1.0 deg may achieve. I have tried 2 deg and it slowed me down, IMO too much but it depends how you drive.
If your in a race series and want (and are prepared to adjust every time) fully adjustable camber these are not for you. If we design them fully adjustable , we would compromise either compatability (ours fit any strut /spring that fits stock top mounts) or the substantial build with 360 degrees of support on all parts.
Mind you Ive just had a thought...how about 2 position mounts ? One set of bolt holes to give 0.75 deg and the other 1.25 deg . ...Yep I think we can do that......off back to the drawing board . BTW We dont want caster to change so Im not doing eccentrics..
.see you later.

Best Regards Roland GTT:smile:

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,Yes I think we can (and therefore will:D) have 2 position camber. There will be 2 sets of bolt holes in the flange . I hanvt got the r53 at home today but I think the centre hole in the tower will be big enough to allow you change between the 2 settings without removing the struts.
If we want to get clever we can even design another version with adjustable ride height ..or at least 2 position height quite easily. We could have say -12mm. The reason I say -12mm is its possible to reduce ride height on the rear by 12mm too. Therefore you could lower 12mm all round and still be on stock springs!
Anyway that parts for another day... Ive got coilovers which have adjustable height.
..off to make my 'fag packet drawings' (I dont smoke :confused::D) into proper ones now.
We will be making 12 sets on the initial batch.

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi ideas , no idea (at all) of pricing as yet. Both camber settings (0.75 or 1.25 deg) should be able to be used even on stock/eibach springs. All drawings complete (seven parts) , should be in production by Friday.:cool:
Best Rehards Roland GTT

·
F43i0
3,727 Posts
Hi ideas , no idea (at all) of pricing as yet. Both camber settings (0.75 or 1.25 deg) should be able to be used even on stock/eibach springs. All drawings complete (seven parts) , should be in production by Friday.:cool:
Best Rehards Roland GTT
you can put my name down for a set ;)

·
Overly excited!!
1,364 Posts
Would be good to se a set on, and off, the car at the MINI Action Day at the end of the month. Feel free to bring along any new products, you can store them in my boot while on the track :D

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry no... (maybe? next year).....Mini Action Day at CC is the next one..
We will bring a set of new GTT Top Mounts to this for people to see.

·
LBC SUCKS BUTT!!
849 Posts
Sorry if this is an innane question, but will this fit aftermarket suspension? Also, do you have a rough price for the mounts?

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will put my life on the line by pushing hard round CC with 300+ horsepower, 341mm Porsche brakes on DS3000 pads, and sticky track day tyres, using lots of (bumpy) kurb on the 2 chicanes.
One lap like this = 1000 miles of road use:eek:
TBH the engineering is so substantial that the chance of anything letting go is practically zero anyway. The spherical bearings are a proven motorsport part and the biggest in the range too.
These will be available one week after the CC event. This gives us time to strip down and check everything after being on the track.
Designed to fit any aftermarket susp. kit ....(.ie you dont need '2 and a quarter' springs')

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Guys, ok slight design improvement ..we're going to have 2 position still, . ....Position one is still 0.75 deg....just bolt it up and off you go.
But the second position will now be on elongated rebated slots (3 equispaced slots rather than the usual 2 ) ,better and more even clamping. These will achieve 1.25 deg camber at one end and 2.5 deg at the far end of the slots .-You can select anywhere between aswell.
I Can't wait to get them on!

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Guys, as you may know we tested these new GTT top mounts on the track at CC on Saturday. Although wet the difference was huge . In the wet we would normally be sawing the wheel about three times as much as we were. I did tend to saw quite a bit previously. We did have the Super Flex steel front control arm bushes in there too. All in all awesome!!!
Downsides? yes very slight knocking from the springs at the front ,but zero play . If we changed to ' Two and a quarter springs' I think the spring noise would go. Theyre not essential,but I'll probably end up making some top spring seats for them at some point . With this setup you can then have any poundage springs you want.:cool:
I'll put some more pics up later. BTW I opted for the 0.75 degree camber setting ( ie not a lot). This works well for me.Best Regards Roland GTT:smile:

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
...so what exactly is causing the knocking - are the spring catching on something, hitting something metalic, loose, or ????

Is the benefit seen with the bushes and the mounts 50/50 or does the benfit tend toward just fitting the mounts?

Cheers,
K.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts