MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
King of Holden
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw what I believe was a brg / w MIN get pulled over by the MA state troopers on 290 this morning, about 11AM, by the Solomon Pond Mall exit, going towards 495. Was it you? I almost got nabbed by the same guy, but I hid and got off quickly. Who was it?

·
King of Holden
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
snek said:
Did you know Holden, MA is on of the few communities that publicizes its speed traps?

So now you know.
Oh yes, well aware. The problem is that Holden cops tend to remember certain people and vehicles, and once they know you you're done. I had a friend of mine get pulled over and the officer added so many additional offenses to the ticket that it took up 2 tickets. He cannot drive in the town anymore, as everytime he does, whether he is goofing off or not, they are right there on him. Also, they don't have much to do, no real crime, so they just pull people over for silly things, or speed around with lights on and sirens blazing when there aren't any calls.

·
MINI2 Master Baiter
3,406 Posts
minimort said:
Oh yes, well aware. The problem is that Holden cops tend to remember certain people and vehicles, and once they know you you're done. I had a friend of mine get pulled over and the officer added so many additional offenses to the ticket that it took up 2 tickets. He cannot drive in the town anymore, as everytime he does, whether he is goofing off or not, they are right there on him. Also, they don't have much to do, no real crime, so they just pull people over for silly things, or speed around with lights on and sirens blazing when there aren't any calls.
Holden's the next town north of me, I've got some real good inside stories on the PD. But you'l never get me to tell, I want to be able to continue driving through their fair hamlet.

But they do have nice.......oh, wait. I need to shut up now.

·
MINI2 Master Baiter
3,406 Posts
snek said:
I don't know about that - their technology just crashed my computer. Maybe it was just a coincidence...
They were probably downloading your cookies. And reading your email.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I fought the law and the law won. I had my appeal yesterday. Statie showed up . Lidar . No defense against it. Case was taken under advisement,but I assume I lost. $210.00 fine for 86 in a 65 zone.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
MINIRANDOLPH said:
I fought the law and the law won. I had my appeal yesterday. Statie showed up . Lidar . No defense against it. Case was taken under advisement,but I assume I lost. $210.00 fine for 86 in a 65 zone.

Not so fast, Eliot (sorry about that pun ;)) Usually when a case is taken under advisement, the judge doesn't want to embarrass the cop in court. However when the motorist loses, the judges have no qualms about saying it loud and clear right in the courtroom.

·
Sitting on a park bench..
1,183 Posts
MINIRANDOLPH said:
Bummer, guess I'm just delaying the inevitable, I got tagged for 83 in a 65, Lidar.....:( Seems to be a lot more unmarked on the Mass Pike these days...

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
Aqualung said:
Bummer, guess I'm just delaying the inevitable, I got tagged for 83 in a 65
Sorry to hear ...

Please (Ivan especially) correct me on this:
I believe the MINI speedo reads high - so if you are pulled doing 83 then presumably the speedo was reading 90 or something around there?
Is there a typical "minimum overspeed" before you get pulled? Are you likely to be pulled for doing a "MINI speedo" of say 80, which is a road speed of maybe 74?

·
MINI2 Master Baiter
3,406 Posts
GBMINI said:
Sorry to hear ...

I believe the MINI speedo reads high - so if you are pulled doing 83 then presumably the speedo was reading 90 or something around there?
Is there a typical "minimum overspeed" before you get pulled? Are you likely to be pulled for doing a "MINI speedo" of say 80, which is a road speed of maybe 74?
All depends on the mood of the puller overer. I once got pulled over (many many years ago, 1981 I think, my first and last speeding ticket) for doing 43 in a 35MPH zone. This was at 3:00AM, clear roads, nobody else around. Stone sober. Going back home from dropping off a person I did not know that had a disabled car.

Happened up in Looneyburg. I'll never forget the cops name. Sooner or later we'll meet up again.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
My speedo usually reads about 4.5% over.
Lots of things affect this. Tire pressure, air & tire temperature, tire wear, tire size. Not to mention tire manufacturing standards are like +/- 5%.
The nice thing about my gps is it accurately tells me my speed.
It makes you wonder the accuracy of radar and laser guns?

Eliot I'm sorry to hear about the ticket. Even if you lose, at least you tried. You can only regret if you don't try. I remember you from MAMA as one of the more moderate drivers, and it shows it can happen to anyone.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
GBMINI said:
Sorry to hear ...

Technically, even one mile over is illegal and you can be pulled for that. (Heck, it the cops thinks your speed is unreasonable and improper - for instance during a snow storm - he can pull you over for speeding even if you're under the posted speed limit.)

But practically speaking, in MA we have the unwritten 'Statie Eighty" rule on the highways. The rule of course disappears during safety awareness campaigns (around the holidays), towards the end of the month after a long dry ticketting spell (due to inclement weather, Democratic Conventions and similar interruptions) or after a fatality on ther road. Then after a week or two of low tolerance, things return to normal...

·
Resident Panpsychist
2,655 Posts
There is and interesting link about LIDAR HERE.

Under the section "Fighting Tickets" it makes mention that LIDAR is not "on judicial notice" in most states. That means that unlike radar and aircraft speedtraps, the theory of operation associated with LIDAR has not been "proven"; thus, the prosecution is compelled to present expert testimony in asserting their case. That means $$$ that the State must spend for the expert testimony to support the validity of a speeding ticket based on a LIDAR reading.

My advice would be to research whether the State of Massachusetts has put LIDAR "on judicial notice" and, if not, fight the ticket and make the State pay 10 times the value of the ticket to bring in an expert witness!

FWIW,

Theo :yellow:

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Theo said:
There is and interesting link about LIDAR HERE.

Under the section "Fighting Tickets" it makes mention that LIDAR is not "on judicial notice" in most states. That means that unlike radar and aircraft speedtraps, the theory of operation associated with LIDAR has not been "proven"; thus, the prosecution is compelled to present expert testimony in asserting their case. That means $$$ that the State must spend for the expert testimony to support the validity of a speeding ticket based on a LIDAR reading.

My advice would be to research whether the State of Massachusetts has put LIDAR "on judicial notice" and, if not, fight the ticket and make the State pay 10 times the value of the ticket to bring in an expert witness!

FWIW,

LIDAR is not "on judicial notice" in Massachusetts - however the burden of proof that LIDAR is not a valid speed measuring device is on the violator! MGL Chapter 90C: Section 3

·
Resident Panpsychist
2,655 Posts
snek said:
LIDAR is not "on judicial notice" in Massachusetts - however the burden of proof that LIDAR is not a valid speed measuring device is on the violator! MGL Chapter 90C: Section 3

Unbeliveable!

So, we are presumed guilty until we prove our innocence?

Why don't we just use the "Trough of Justice": if you float, you are guilty and put to death...if you sink and drown, you are innocent and all charges are dropped.

What's happening here? Is there a body of data that a "presumed guilty" person can access in order to offer a defense? I reserve my right to keep and arm bears, however.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts