1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up last night.

Drovelong way home from dealers and commute to work this morning,

First impressions:

My concerns about Run flats are not unfounded on 17's but i can live with them . Dunlop SP's on mine.
Love the interior style but some plastics are cheap.
Steering very good and weighty.
Driving positions good (im 6ft 6ins)but not so sure on sports seats. Think they might give me gip after a while.
Car looks the part:nice:
Gearbox tight and clunky but should loosen with miles. Seem to change gear all the time.
Driving gently at moment but performance aint too bad.
Avg now up to 50mpg plus:smile:
I'll have a closer look at weekend but gaps round passenger door dont look even. Slight misalignment i think. It was wet so did'nt notice at the dealers. Anybody else had this?
Rear end getting dirty in no time. Gonna be a PITA (literally).

Baby daughter seems to love it when i took her to nursery this morning.

Overall i think im going to enjoy this:cool:
I'll post some pics when i get a chance;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Congratz on getting your Dooper :)

You will find that the engine is is going to seem quite tight for a while yet, and maybe not as free revving as you would like hence the multiple gear changes. Once it is fully run in you will notice a big difference.
I have to agree with you on the driving position it is excellent with comfy seats as well ;).
I was also amazed at the headroom I had in there and I'm a 6 footer.

Hope you enjoy

·
Saltire
108 Posts
Hey,

I think i would ditto that comments.. .Had my Cooper D Clubman since last Saturday... The sports seat are a bit of a worry, did my first long drive today, 200miles ... Was getting a bit of discomfort on the door side leg support...Maybe just me, i'm a big(ish) guy....

·
Registered
424 Posts
The engine will defo get better as you run it in. I really don't like the runflats on my 17s either. Think i might have to get them changed.

It took me a whole month and a lot of fiddling to get myself a comfortable driving position on the sports seat. But now I love them..

Enjoy

·
Totally Marvellous!
1,165 Posts
Congratulations on your new Dooper :D

I'm six months in now and I guess I just echo what the others have said...

Yea the engine gets a bit better - the mpg certainly goes up! I'm now up to about 55 (but haven't reset for ages!)

Driving position for me's excellent (what is it with tall guys and Doopers? :D ) but I totally agree with Mejy (not a tall guy I assume ;) ) about the sports seats - you'll *eventually* find a comforatable setting...

Funny you mention the doors - my drivers door seems to finish a fraction of an inch lower than the bodywork next to it, but all the gaps seem to be totally even, so I'm not worried.

Dirty ass at the end of May?!? You must have gone for the Pepper White like me then - just you wait til the winter months 'cos you ain't seen nothing yet... :p

Which reminds me, there's a dirty dooper on the drive calling...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tell you what though all the bugs sticking to the windscreen is really getting on ma tits after a week:angry:

Anybody had any success using something like Rain X to reduce the amount of the little ****ers that stick?:puzzled:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Tell you what though all the bugs sticking to the windscreen is really getting on ma tits after a week:angry:
I'll second that, the little gits just love to die on the screen of a Dooper :angry:

I haven't got a solution other than regular cleaning but I really hope someone has an answer to it!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm loving the torque on the little bast*rd :D
I prob shouldn't be driving it the way I am but I'm not exceding 4k rpm, and the dealer said ti really doesn't require much in the way of running in due to it being 'conditioned' in the factory. That being said, he did say don't molly coddle it or thrash it, neither of which I'm doing.

The seats are fine for me (5'10") though I've not taken it on a single long run yet so thats yet to be confirmed.

Oh and just about every family of bugs is making a beeline for my car :(

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm loving the torque on the little bast*rd :D
:(
Is there really any?

Maybe i've made a mistake in my purchase but after getting over the initial exictement of the retro surrounding im finding the Cooper D dull as **** to live with.

And the run flats are an absolute pain in the arse.:frown: Absolute ***** ride and i'm scared of getting a puncture because of the cost of the ****ers.

Should have bought a 1 series :rolleyes:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Is there really any?

Maybe i've made a mistake in my purchase but after getting over the initial exictement of the retro surrounding im finding the Cooper D dull as **** to live with.

And the run flats are an absolute pain in the arse.:frown: Absolute ***** ride and i'm scared of getting a puncture because of the cost of the ****ers.

I've heard many people complain about the ride quality of the 17" RunFlats, thankfully the same can't be said for the 16's, which is what I currently have. If your ride is that hard, I'd definitely look to change the tyres to standards.

As to your torque query, are you kidding me?! 2-4k RPM is torquetastic! Maybe I'm overegging it slightly due to my lack of experience with diesel cars, but I never expected it to pull like this. I can honestly say I'm bloody happy with it so far.

My only very small gripe is that one of the air vents keeps snapping shut when I have the AC/Fan on full blast.

Sorry you're not enjoying yours :(

·
Registered
214 Posts
No complaints about torque from me either.

1-series does have the bigger engine, but I am very glad that BMW dealer did not take me seriously enough to speak to me (let alone test drive). I am loving my car!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Perhaps i was being a little harsh. There is torque (some).

Think i might be missing RWD more than i thought i would. My motoring backgroung is in beemers.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I could think of nothing more boring than a one series. I took a passing look at one but that hump to get in the back put me off, I know the mini is a tight fit but it was just silly on the one series.

They had a lovely three series, graphite gray as I would call it for 17K and it looked the part but I think I just felt it was not a car I would enjoy to drive, drove my mates three series and it was a dull drive, comfortable sure footed as it was it did not make me think I’d want one.

Guess I did not fancy the Rep look.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I could think of nothing more boring than a one series. I took a passing look at one but that hump to get in the back put me off, I know the mini is a tight fit but it was just silly on the one series.

1er is more about driving / chassis dynamics than looks.:wink:

Prob i have with the mini is RFTs seem to rob the handling of 'feel'.:frown:. I should'nt change them cause its leased on a PCP but might still be tempted to.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I’ve only been out in test drives with the Mini’s but I always felt they acquitted themselves quite well and the whole idea behind the Mini in my case is the odd run up north or through the trossacks.

Honestly the Drive from Glasgow A81 to Aberfoyle over to Callander past loch Katrine up beside Loch Lubnaig up to Lochearnhead then along Loch Earn to Crieff is to die for.................

Detailed map of Scotland Loch Lomond and the Trossachs

·
Totally Marvellous!
1,165 Posts
1-series does have the bigger engine, but I am very glad that BMW dealer did not take me seriously enough to speak to me (let alone test drive). I am loving my car!
Hear Hear!!!

I was contemplating the 1-series, and you had EXACTLY the same experience with BMW as me :mad:

I'm so glad I wen't for the car I did - lovin my Dooper (and MINI2:D) to bits... :)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Is there really any?

You need to get your car checked out. I can honestly say I really like the way my Cooper D drives. Recently we've been away a lot and I've hired lots of different cars in that time, plus with my Cooper D being my 18th car I have a good idea of them.

Plus, right now I've got a MINI One courtesy car sat on the path whilst mine's in for a few niggles being sorted and it's pants! I'm really missing my D.

I came out of a TDI 130 Bora into the MINI and although it's not as fast, it doesn't feel far off at all and eveeryone knows that VW TDI engines regularly produce around 20% more power than stated on paper.

Oh, and last time BMW gave me a 1 series courtesy car I hated it. It was a 116, felt like jelly, looks boring and I couldn't wait to take it back. I'd rather drive my Peugeot van lol.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You need to get your car checked out. I can honestly say I really like the way my Cooper D drives. Recently we've been away a lot and I've hired lots of different cars in that time, plus with my Cooper D being my 18th car I have a good idea of them.

Plus, right now I've got a MINI One courtesy car sat on the path whilst mine's in for a few niggles being sorted and it's pants! I'm really missing my D.

I came out of a TDI 130 Bora into the MINI and although it's not as fast, it doesn't feel far off at all and eveeryone knows that VW TDI engines regularly produce around 20% more power than stated on paper.

Oh, and last time BMW gave me a 1 series courtesy car I hated it. It was a 116, felt like jelly, looks boring and I couldn't wait to take it back. I'd rather drive my Peugeot van lol.
1er is more entertaining drive with a decent engine. Always will be cause its RWD. I'm a purist. Had a go in a 123d recently and was very impressed. Could'nt afford it though. £28k with leather, bluetooth and 18s:eek:

Nothing wrong with my drive. I'm being a little hard on it i guess. 1k miles now passed and starting to open up a little. MPG settling about 59.4 so not too bad there.

I've also got a Passat TDi and it true dervs get better with miles on. Thats now on 30k miles and a different car from new.

Enjoying car more now it's improving day by day:nice:. Maybe was missing my big ole petrol the other day.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I’ve only been out in test drives with the Mini’s but I always felt they acquitted themselves quite well and the whole idea behind the Mini in my case is the odd run up north or through the trossacks.

Honestly the Drive from Glasgow A81 to Aberfoyle over to Callander past loch Katrine up beside Loch Lubnaig up to Lochearnhead then along Loch Earn to Crieff is to die for.................

Detailed map of Scotland Loch Lomond and the Trossachs
Epic road:nice:. Know it well. I did some of the project management for the new Health Centre in Callander.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts