MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Wax on, Wax off
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious, but it seems like a valid cliche that British ex-patriots will be biased towards buying a Mini (just like my wife and myself are doing).

So how about a British "roll call" so we get to know each other, I'll start with me and the wife:

Name: Peter
Born: Wales
Lived: Newport - Wales, London - England
Now Living: Worcester, MA (since 2002)

Name: Samantha
Born: Wales
Lived: Cardiff - Wales, Gibraltar, London - England
Now Living: Worcester, MA (since 2002)

P.S. I suppose other nationalities can join in if they have lived for a period of time in the UK ;)

·
Mini2 (I wish I had 2)
102 Posts
Ex-pat

Hi,
I was born and raised in Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire. Moved to USA in '78 with parents, but I was only 9.

Visited many times. My Dad was born in Mirfield, for you trekkies that is the same town as the bald captain on the enterprise.

Cheers to all :p :p

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
Name: Ian
Born: South London
Lived: South London, Bath, Newcastle - England
Now Living: Gloucester, MA (since 1996)

Name: Margaret
Born: Norwich
Lived: Norwich, Newcastle - England
Now Living: Gloucester, MA (since 1996) - same place as Ian! ;)

·
RC sailplane flier
39 Posts
Name: Stuart
Born: Poole, Dorset
Lived: Basingstoke, Alton, Sydney
Now Living: Cheshire, CT (been in the U.S. since 1976)

On the off=topic forum I have enjoyed the various threads on food. I started one on Weetabix (my favorite cereal) and have really slobbered over the chocolate bar thread. My favorite are Crunchie bars and Maltesers. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hello All,

My wife Diane is actually the Brit in the family, so I thought I'd respond on her behalf, especially considering that ever since we bought the MINI, it's been tough to pry the keys out of her hands.

Name: Diane
Born: Smethwick, Warley, West Midlands, England
Lived: Birmingham, Brighton, Sydney, Berlin
Now Living: Methuen, MA (been in the U.S. since 1992)
Favorite cookie: Chocolate Digestives

BB

·
Registered
125 Posts
Name: Ian
Born: Lancashire
Lived: Rochdale area, Lancs - Coventry - back to Rochdale area - Stittsville, Ontario, Canada - Allentown, PA
Now Living: Norfolk, MA (since 1999)

·
MINI2 Master Baiter
3,406 Posts
C'mon Ian, be nice to the newbie. True it's clear that we on the left side of the pond do not follow proper protocols. But hey, this is in the New England thread where we follow no rules at all.

How about turning htis post into a rally? Get all the transplants together, meet up at the Minuteman Statue in Concord? Could be fun..........you guys could march in formation down the path, we could hide in the bushes and throw Nerf balls at you.

Oh boy, am I asking for it now.........

·
MINI2 Master Baiter
3,406 Posts
GBMINI said:
JB,
This is not the "New England Thread" - this is the "British and Living In England Thread".
I was not very hard on the poster - but be aware that this is at least the second time today that he has posted the same stuff in an inappropriate place ... it does not take much effort to find the "FOR SALE" forum.
Wow. I was under the impression that this was the "British and Living In New England Thread", located in the New England forum. I guess I stand corrected. I'm used to that though.

Jeffrey, tail between his legs, sliding back into the doghouse (Didi I just say "dog"? Ooops, that's another thread too. Sorry)

·
gadgetmeister
6,220 Posts
Missed this thread... I can never keep up with everything that's going on here..! :)
Name: Gavin
Born: Cambridge (the real one ;) )
Lived: Over there; Cambridgeshire, Hereford, Saffron Walden. Over here; Belmont, Lexington
Now Living; Lexington, working in Cambridge (the one in the colony ;) )

Thinking aloud on Baker's theme... how about a 'The British Are Coming' run..? We could start in Lexington (easy for me!) and drive up through the Minuteman park... Not sure how long it would be if we just kept to the battle grounds, but there must be some good twisties around here we could string together...

·
MINI2 Master Baiter
3,406 Posts
GadgetGav said:
Thinking aloud on Baker's theme... how about a 'The British Are Coming' run..?

Jeffrey, now looking for a wholesaler of Nerf balls......I alone will need at least a gross.

·
gadgetmeister
6,220 Posts
Since it's a nice day, I thought I'd tatke a quick scouting run up to the Minuteman Park. Turns out the actual call was 'The Regulars are out' becuse back then, the residents of the 13 colonies considered themselves to be British... See Jeffrey, we can all just get along ;)

·
MINI2 Master Baiter
3,406 Posts
GadgetGav said:
Turns out the actual call was 'The Regulars are out' becuse back then, the residents of the 13 colonies considered themselves to be British... See Jeffrey, we can all just get along ;)
I'm still bringing the balls. It's the principle of the whole idea.

But there's tons of good stuff up in that area. A great art museum, Walden Pond, lots of houses to tour. Grab a canoe rental, go to Egg Rock. See Henry's house (replica). A nice stroll around Great Meadows with a pair of binoculars. Shoot over to Fruitlands in Harvard. Hit the bakeries and all.

Hmmmm.....a Nerf Ball Blunderbuss. Gotta do a tour of Higgins, see if I can scam one together quickly.

·
gadgetmeister
6,220 Posts
bakerjc said:
I'm still bringing the balls. It's the principle of the whole idea.

But there's tons of good stuff up in that area. A great art museum, Walden Pond, lots of houses to tour. Grab a canoe rental, go to Egg Rock. See Henry's house (replica). A nice stroll around Great Meadows with a pair of binoculars. Shoot over to Fruitlands in Harvard. Hit the bakeries and all.

Hmmmm.....a Nerf Ball Blunderbuss. Gotta do a tour of Higgins, see if I can scam one together quickly.
Balls to you too then! ;) I got a great 10 shot nerf arrow gun for cube to cube battles at work - I'll have to bring that!
Do you mean the DeCordova museum..? I've been there a few times with my camera. I love the tree sharks :cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
11 Participants
bakerjc
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing