MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The string of bad luck extends on my '02 Cooper.... a month after the self destruction of the gearbox it would appear she has now taken a dislike to the cat!! :(

Although the internals have not collapsed completely it is not working and has started to cause a notable stutter in acceleration. I understand if it's left, there is a strong possibility that it will more than likely to block the exhaust flow altogether.

At the moment i can't afford to buy a new cat and was wondering if it is possible (as a temp fix) to remove the insides thus hollowing out the cat so my engine doesn't go bang!?

Help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :rolleyes:

·
The de Chromed MINI
3,218 Posts
Are you running a stock manifold and so a stock cat?
If yes then ebay is your friend ;)
I picked up a complete cooper S exhaust, manifold and cat back for the huge sum of £31!!
or if your running an aftermarket manifold (with detatchable cat) then a de cat pipe would do depending on when your MOT is due ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response.
The system is fully stock, does that mean the cat won't be separate from the manifold? Next MOT is not for 10 months, that's why I was thinking of hollering out the cat as a temporary measure.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I was thinking about opening up (cutting a rectangluar window) the cat and gutting it for now, (get my uncle to weld it up) then i'll buy another when i've got some cash together.

If i did go for a cooper-s version... is that not different- would my cooper exhaust attach still?

I wasn't aware that the manifold and cat were together... presubily in the picture below the cat is the section of larger diameter pipe to the right of the number 10?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/z/o/229.png

·
Registered
286 Posts
How do you know it is collapsing? Has it been tested with a backpresssure guage or vacuum guage? Be sure before acting. The symptom you have can come from low fuel pressure too and this is more common than catalyst collapse. If there is an O2 sesnor after the cat, gutting it won't work because the car will stay in open loop and go rich on you so be sure to check.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi mate, thank you for your input. I had considered a broken map sensor or as you say poor fuel pump.
After noticing a change of exhaust tone at motorway speed and an increase of soot on the tailpipe i figured something was wrong. I have had the car emisson's tested (mot) and it failed.

Since all of this I've purchased a '06 plated cooper-s manifold/cat which i'll be fitting tomorrow, in fear of the whole cat collapsing and causing more damage

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts