MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
Apologies for the massive essay this is my first post, my bother is a member and said this was the best place for advice....

I literally just bought an R56 MCS knowing it had eml for coils. Only has 47k full service etc so thought why not!

So first thing, replaced all four coils, cleared the code and hey presto running good.

That’s when I hear a rattle coming form under the timing chain cover. I open it and find the top chain guide completely snapped off from the metal bracket! Just sitting there! (See pic)

So I picked up the plastic guide and put the cover all back together again. I could not find a single bit of plastic missing anywhere inside. I also cannot find anywhere that sells just the top guide. (First problem)

Is this fundamentally important? I know the side ones are, can I go without? (Silly question I know)

There is a strange rattle/vibrating noise that comes on like a switch out of nowhere at around 2200 revs and seems to go away about 2700 revs. Doesn’t effect performance no lights on dash but only seems to do it when it’s warmed up (not cold) and then does it all the time when in that rev range. This was here before the coils were changed

Is this connected?

Any advice or help would be amazing everyone!

Attachments

· Registered
13,599 Posts
its snapped the top guide for a reason the broken guide is part fo the out come of the main issue ie your timing chain has stretched and tensioner cant keep up with it, only solution new chain kit needed i always say 60.000 miles and they are pretty gone

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi mike thanks for getting back to me!

Yeah I did think it was going to be a whole chain job rather than just replacing the tensioner bolt. Annoying as it’s only done 47k miles and already had the chain replaced three years ago.

I don’t suppose anyone knows of a good person/place to take it down near me? Hastings East Sussex?

· Registered
591 Posts
Yes that is causing the noises. I would not even start that engine without the top guide, if the chain jumps a tooth you are looking at valve damage or worse! If you need to move the car to a garage for the timing chain get it towed. Turning it over is a huge risk!

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey everyone I’ve found a decent mechanic local to me who is going to do it, I said I’d order the kit in ready for when he comes over. I’ve found one from Lohen for £156 is there anything else I’d need? Will get the oil and filter done at the same time too

· Registered
13,599 Posts
anything i'd need thats the 1000 dollar question with cars, mine field is what it is to be honest some thing that cannot be worked out over the internet and even if car is in front of you never really know what its going to do next, i got a vauxhall with 57k on it all main dealer history today randomly now creaks on clutch pedal common problem like all the makers who say its not common they have never seen this issue before blah blah £180 for new pedal box in parts and its the mother of all jobs like vauxhall started with a pedal box and decided to add a car around it, think i'm at that point with cars its time to go do something else nothing but hassle and disappointment on every level, think the only bit of useful advice i can give anyone get one on a lease agreement for 3 years pay monthly fee for use of it and have none of the crap that follows us all with secondhand already used up cars. 47k for a chain is a disgrace how about all the cars with less than that its a crime or should be. my question is at what point does any car become used up in the eyes of the owner compared to the makers i wonder. i've always worked on 100.000 miles should be fairly hassle free hence why i never buy anything with more on it unless its had garage bills for some major work that can be proved. even then so much that is attached is getting old and it all gets brittle plastics and and wires get brittle etc, without all the other stuff that nails them, as for your question your mechanic should know whats needed with stuff that can be seen and the other stuff well it it will be what it will be from experiences

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks mike, yeah I knew I was buying a car with an engine that’s not the most reliable, but it’s all part of the game I guess. Can’t have your cake and eat it in this day in age it seems!

I’m sure after this is done and if the rattle is gone I can at least enjoy the car for what it is for a bit....

· Registered
13,599 Posts
i know buddy i'm just down on all bloody cars to be honest just seems from all ,makers are all just rubbish almost like every time you drive them work on them its games of Russian roulette just waiting to make you look silly i feel, i have given up using a positive outlook with all of them from now on and just be down right its all rubbish use a pushbike less hassle all round lol, guess the greener me has arrived

· Registered
189 Posts
Modern cars are orders of magnitude better than those I grew up with. I've been particularly impressed with the way the mini is put together and its rust proofing. I'm guessing that you're not a young lad either Mike so have also played the game of chasing rust around the floor plan and sills. I don't miss that at all.

Rose tinted spectacles make it easy to forget how crap cars used to be.

· Registered
13,599 Posts
ha ha you just made me remember when i was 15 years old and my dad had a 1968 ford capri 3.1 that the rust moths had got to and back then the mig welder was just a dream, learnt to gas weld on that car all the floor pans and boot floor cut out and gas welded back in over 2 weeks at least, my old man was not stupid i was half his size and could get in to the impossible positions to weld such a job.. i still love welding with gas these days but never have a chance to, done a load of tig but still the gas is alive when welded with, i've been in trade all my life pretty much always had a love for it,, but this finally is starting to dwindle with the endless next big issues that should never happen, love is lost

· Registered
591 Posts
You'll also need a crank shaft seal. Plus, if these do not come with the Lohen pack, you can get from the BMW dealer - 2xcam shaft bolts; lower crank sprocket; guide rail bolt seals x 3; crank shaft bolt x 1; rocker cover gasket set; beer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.