MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I'm yet to try the PITA bleed bolt but I've bleed the one nearest the radiator. Reason for this is I changed my expansion tank and now as soon as I start the car I can hear and see bubbles coming up into the expansion tank. Hope it's just airlock or maybe the expansion tanks faulty? Throwing it out for ideas.

· Registered
443 Posts

· Registered
13,599 Posts
they say the bt-3 is higher level its what i have work well for the money, can also use the solution in the garage level sniff tester tools, the bt-3 is a better level and the bt-1 and 2 cant be used if some rad welds are ever used as will show a false positive, where the bt-3 should not its more accurate saying that i will drain anf flush the system before using it anyway, but it does work well, also can use a ultra violet dye in water and use a black light to find leaks with, link below its also can be used in engine oil and aircon to find leaks
ultra violet

· Registered
2,316 Posts
And if you aren't on it or have not heard of it I advise you to join the R53 Owners Club on Facebook. Now up to 6,800 members, all with Gen 1 Cooper Ss - R53s. So it is a tad more focussed than this very generalist forum. It is very active, heavily admined (think there are currently 22 or 24??) so none of the usual nonsense you can get on FB groups.

· Registered
13,599 Posts
still recruiting for fb site :)

· Registered
83 Posts
If all you have done is fit a new bottle then I would say you have an air lock. You need to follow the bleed sequence to get it out. It can be a pain but honestly it's the only way. I changed a rad not to long ago and had the same problem but after messing for a while with the bleed screws all is good. Also do NOT fill your system through the header tank as won't work. Fill through the cap next to the thermostat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.