MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Sugardaddy
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have anyone done this in their MINI? I'm really really thinking about it, any info would be nice.

I was thinking a touchscreen and a regular computer, you could use navi, mp3 and such? that would be so nice.

Thanks in advance,
Mario

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have been thinking about this since I picked up my car last night. I am by no means a skilled mod-er, but the car is too cool not to add more gadgets to.

It may be of interest to you that I saw my first Mini up close and personal in Sweden back in August of 2002. Was it yours?. The Mrs. and I were walking from the direction of Gruna Lund to our friend's apartment in Karla Plan (sorry about the spelling). I noticed a very unique looking car accross the street and dragged fer to it to check it out. Little did I know that 2 years later I would be ordering one.

Dennis

·
Sugardaddy
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jedi67 said:
I have been thinking about this since I picked up my car last night. I am by no means a skilled mod-er, but the car is too cool not to add more gadgets to.

It may be of interest to you that I saw my first Mini up close and personal in Sweden back in August of 2002. Was it yours?. The Mrs. and I were walking from the direction of Gruna Lund to our friend's apartment in Karla Plan (sorry about the spelling). I noticed a very unique looking car accross the street and dragged fer to it to check it out. Little did I know that 2 years later I would be ordering one.

Dennis
Ooh, I hope you enjoyed your stay in Sweden, It wasn't my car tho. I'm new to the MINI, just like you, got mine about 3weeks ago. :)

I was thinking about iPod, but the PC would be able to do so much more, and I got alot of PC components laying around anyways so, I'd say I know computers pretty well, but building them into the car is a whole other story, how do you do with the power? Hard Drive shaking? Cold?

Cheers,
Mario

·
Registered
78 Posts
Car PC

Yes, I tried it my MINI for just that, mainly to add GPS mapping. For me, it ended up being both too expensive and too much of a hassle to use on a regular basis. There is a growing community for these car projects, and I'd highly recommend checking out the http://www.mp3car.com/ forums for tons of useful information. The cheapest touchscreens will probably run you $250 or more, and in my limited experience it didn't work out so well. I had continual problems with the screen needing to be recalibrated, which I couldn't do without pulling out the mouse. You also have to figure out what kind of computer you put in (the Mini-ITX motherboards works very well for these projects - low power, tiny size), and how to power the system (the recommended power supplies, made specifcally for auto use, really add to the cost).

If you're looking for a project to do for fun, I'd say go for it; just be wary that it probably won't be a "plug it in and go" solution. Let me know if you have any questions!

·
Sugardaddy
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This looks good, how how how????

1 - 5 of 5 Posts