MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
What's this red line for?
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked the FAQ and did a search...couldn't find anything....

If I get 17 inch bullets for my new mcsc can I put all season (non-runflats) tires on them after my perf runflats wear out?

It rains alot in Atlanta. Can I get by with just perf tires or do I need All season?

Thanks

·
What's this button do?
568 Posts
gaminicool said:
I checked the FAQ and did a search...couldn't find anything....

If I get 17 inch bullets for my new mcsc can I put all season (non-runflats) tires on them after my perf runflats wear out?

It rains alot in Atlanta. Can I get by with just perf tires or do I need All season?

Thanks
While I've only paid attention to threads with 16" wheels, the 17s should be fine with regular tires as long as you have some way to deal with a flat when you hit a bit Atlanta pothole...

We just got back from a trip to NC, much of it spent in heavy rain, and the 16" "Performance Summer" Goodyear runflats did fine. Wife had the DSC light come on once, but she thinks she hit that switch instead of the fogs...

We're supposed to get a blizzard this weekend (1/2 to 1 inch of snow :) ), and that's my only worry about the summer performance tires. We'll probably drive the Beetle if we have to go anywhere.

-Eric

·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Eric.

I think I'm going to ditch the runflats when I get the car, keep the bullets and put on a good perf tire. I don't plan on hitting the twisties all the time...but you never know :D

I am kind of curious though why you can't get 17 bullets with all season tires from mini. I'm just wondering if you can't put aftermarket all season on that "performance" wheel. I can't imagine that's the case.

·
Obsessive Not Compulsive
413 Posts
Strange that you don't have the option of performance or all-season run-flats with the Bullets.
Seems to me you always had a choice with the S-lites.

·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to the latest mini options in the U.S., you can get your choice with S-Lites. But with bullets, you have to get perf. tires.

It doesn't matter though. I've decided to dump the run flats when I get the car and put on some Toyo Proxes 4 :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
IMHO, being a former Atlanta resident, I wouldn't worry too much about running an all season tire; you should be just fine w/ a high performance (so long as it does well in the rain). Besides, if it does snow, you won't be out in it anyway (or at least you shouldn't w/ how some of the other drivers act new to such weather ..)

Good luck! :D

·
Registered
514 Posts
gaminicool said:
I've decided to dump the run flats when I get the car and put on some Toyo Proxes 4
Excellent move! I just did the same - with only 350 miles on the Dunlop runflats, they came off and the Toyo Proxes 4 went on. The ride is very quiet and the grip is fantastic. I must say though, that I find the pavement irregularities seem to be transmitted more into the cabin than with the runflats (not that there's anything wrong with that...)

The only issue I had in putting the tires on the Bullits was dealing with the crew at the local NTB who couldn't figure out why I was putting new tires on a brand new car and making sure they didn't dispose of the Dunlops.

·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your responses. I appreciate the feedback.That's good to hear that you like the Toyos. With a cabrio coming, I want a quiet ride + runflats are costly.

Indimini, did you sell your runflats? Was it easy to do?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.