MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My R56 is burning oil and I just want to rule out the PCV system before I get the stem seals or guides done.

I've pulled the breather hose which connects to the left side on the top of the valve cover and the pipe is soaked in oil all the way down, and has pooled where it can.
Automotive lighting Fluid Liquid Gas Motor vehicle

Just want to verify if this is 'normal' on the Prince engines?

There's a lot of suction on the oil cap at idle, and removing it causes the engine to violently sputter and shake, I'm guessing this is normal as I guess it induced a vacuum leak via the PCV?

Also, if I leave this hose disconnected/plug the line to the intake, and start the car, will that be OK? I'd like to see how much comes out when its running.

There's also a high pitched whine/moan sound around drivers side wheel arch on the belt side at all times, but diminishes higher in the rev range. Could maybe be a bad pulley/alternator bearing however.

It does the old blue exhaust smoke after idling for 30 seconds+ and revving above 3k, doesnt smoke on a cold start and doesnt usually smoke while driving but have noticed it once or twice in my mirror after sitting at a light, keeping rpms between 2-3k for a while and then gunning it. and its eating through the sump so I'm guessing its guides/seals but is there no chance this oil is pooling somewhere around the intake manifold and then getting sucked up under hard revs or something?

I have replaced the PCV membrane but hasnt made a difference, are there no other valves in the cover which could be stuck?

Maybe I sound like I dont know what I'm talking about but love this car and trying to learn a bit too, so any advice is appreciated, cheers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mike, cheers for the reply.

This engines only done 55k miles so I'd be hesitant to do the rings yet.

How can I tell the difference between it being the stem seals and the PCV? Is their a way to test the valve cover?

It doesn't smoke when its cold, only when warm, and it likes doing it after engine braking or after sitting idle for a bit after a long drive, and it seems to be worst after getting off the motorway sitting on the motorway at 3k rpm for a while and I've noticed a high pitched whistling noise at 6k rpm that almost sounds like a turbo spooling lol.

Cheers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, aware its hard to diagnose just from a description but would ideally like to know for certain what it is before I send it off for half a rebuild.

I've just checked codes and I'm getting mapped sensor, control. Aware that the map/maf on these are combo units if I'm not mistaken? Could be related, or has something else probably broken on it now? Haha, god this car is ace but isn't half unreliable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts