MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about purchasing a 2004 MINI CVT with 4000 miles on it? It was a loaner car so it has never been titled meaning that the full length of the warranty would be in effect. In addition, they will add another 3 months or 5000 miles to the length of the warranty. Should I just wait for a 3 months for a new 05 model? Has anyone purchased a loaner MINI before and did you have any problems? How much, if anything, were you able to knock off of the MSRP? Thanks for your input!

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
One of our MINIs is a CVT; the CVT has been pretty reliable, so with the extra warranty you should be well covered. The CVT also protects the engine from over-reving and abuse to some extent, i.e. you can't miss a down shift and hurt the engine.

The big question is price, the car is now last year's model with 4,000 miles, normally that would mean a big discount, but the MINI is a high demand/limited supply vehicle. Nevertheless I would ask for $1500 off, maybe $2,000 depending on the dealer and situation and go from there.

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
Welcome to MINI2!

I'd expect way more then $2000 off the price of the car. A loaner (I'm sure it was occasionally used for test drives) would have had the hardest 4,000 miles possible. No one is going to really pay attention to things like the break in period or driving the car nicely when its not their own, its just the way those cars get treated.

If you can get a good deal, plus the warranty you already mentioned I'd look at it, but even at $2000 off, you could just order one to your specifications, it'd be an '05 so it'd be newer (and have the latest improvements) and then you can spec, so you might even save money, by not getting an option you'd be forced into getting with the loaner.

Very few people on here have bought loaners or demos, because everytime someone asks, they get a response similar to what I've said, and it doesn't make sense for them. Clearly some people are buying them, but I imagine they have special circumstances like wanting a car immedietly and not being able to order.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts