MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
><((((º>`·. ¸¸. ·><((((º>
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the lookout for a used Mini One...post 07/2004 model with as little milage as possible. Looks like there are good deals to be had buying private, but is it worth the risk compare to the peace of mind you get from buying from a cherished dealer...if you lot were in my position what would you do and why?

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
If you save over a grand buying privately than I would go with that!
As long as you check the car over mechanically and HPi before you buy, you shouldn't have many problems with a lowish mileage example.

Si

·
Miss Independent
791 Posts
Just to confirm, TLC is to do with Servicing not warranty!

·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks chaps, I really should of done more research before posting...you live and you learn!

Seeing as though this is going to be my first car and my first buying experience, I think I'll go with a Cherished option for peace of mind although it means me getting a MINI with higher milage, earlier model and I'd be paying more.

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
Have you not got a family member or friend to help you. Maybe someone that is mechanically knowledgable?

·
settling in nicely
246 Posts
if there's a a vast difference in cost between cherished or private for the same spec of car, you could perhaps buy a 3rd party warranty from somewhere like warranty direct for peace of mind?

·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice lads, This is how I came to my decision.

Pro's:
1. Sale of Goods Act 1979
2. Cherished dealers should live and die by their reputations so I can expect a good standard of customer service and quality cars
3. Dealers are bound by laws which gives me certain rights if things go wrong
4. After-sales support and servicing

Con's
1. We pay for the busty receptionist, slick showrooms & "free" coffee
2. Greater risk than buying from a dealer
3. So much to check!

I reckon not having to do all the checks and going through all the hassle is worth the grand extra you expect to pay in the dealership. You pay for the peace of mind, aftersales support and knowing you protected if things go wrong.

So I'm getting it from a Cherished dealer....next step is to identify one.

Anyone agree/disagree with my thinking?

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
You could save more than just a grand, is personal circumstances I guess. I buy out of auctions, that really is a risky business-but you can pick up a fantastic bargain there!

I would still say shop around, Piston heads has lots of lovely reasonably priced MINI's. Some people are feeling the pinch at the moment, make use of this when you buy a car!

·
IJ 2009 - Team 81
3,223 Posts
There is a lot to be said for Cherished cars, but as you say you are paying a premium. The warranty is worth that though, as both my MINI's have had a fair bit of warranty work done.

Auctions are great if you have some knowledge and can check the car over well.

That said a decent aftermarket warranty may do it cheaper. Get a quote, and then weigh it up.

I think the right choice depends on your budget, and what age/spec of car you can afford. Is the spec more important to the age for you etyc. If you could give us an idea of budget and any specific spec we can give you an idea of where to look.

·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is the ideal car:

Mini One
Post 07/2004 model
circa 30-35K miles on the clock
1 owner
Budget £7.5K-£8K

Nice to haves:
Pepper pack
Alloys
HK HiFi
Chili Red in colour
White roof
-------------------------------

Am I being reasonable

I would then look for some s spokes and put a cooper s side skirts on it, and if I need to upgrade the sound.

I'm not looking for a specific colour but as listed red is a nice to have, however a mate of mine told me that red fades the fastest under UK condition and he pointed that out on at least 3 cars that drove by(none of them MINI's) its was after sitting in the sun all Saturday afternoon drinking beer and fantasining about the Mini I'm going to be driving. Timescale to get my car is 7/8 weeks. i plan on taking it on a UK roadtrip for 2 weeks starting 15/12.

·
IJ 2009 - Team 81
3,223 Posts
According to the Cherished site there are 16 cars natioanlly that match the following criteria
Less than £9000 (6 less that £8500)
Pepper Pack

Most are post 07/04 as MINI don't sell any cars over 50k, and most pre facelifts will be approaching that. And I think MINI steer clear of the Midlands gearbox on pre facelift cars for the cherished scheme. Most are also quite basic with not much more than the Pepper pack. If I'm honest I doubt you'll find many ONEs with HK.

So it is possible.

And if you're upgrading your alloys I'd steer clear of S spokes as each ones weighs about the same as the car. Try running in lead boots and you'll understand where I'm coming from.

·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like I'll have to either increase my budget or brush up on my negoiation skills...if I want the desired spec.

Sometimes I wish I never set eyes on a MINI...then I would of been content with a 4 gand VeeDub!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I have bought all my Mini's Cherished.

Really like the ease and the whole feel about buying through them.

Thought quite a lot about buying privatley, but I feel the deal Cherished gave me was at the same level if I had gone private anyway.

·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes especially with the "current economic situation" <------ I HATE those 3 words!

Things is, with MINI's exceptional resale value and the way they hold their prices coupled with alot of people downsizing their cars/cutting costs caused of the whole credit crunch mean that dealers wont move alot on prices?

I asked before but realistically how much would you expect a dealer tomove on price, ballpark figures. Mooney bought twice now how much of a discount did you get and if you dont mind me asking which dealer did you use, any recommendations

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
BTW. Mini Ones don't come with the option of a red body and white roof, this was only available for Coopers and S's. You can do it afterwards though (paint the roof or vinyl it) so don't pay out for one with a white roof if its lots more than a all over red one.

Good luck!

·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Didnt know that, thanks Laura, BTW, if my Mini look half as good as yours, I'd be well chuffed!

Now I got go find out whats the diff. between painting the roof and getting it vinyl'd...

thats whats great about this forum, you learn something knew about MINI's everyday....

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Yes especially with the "current economic situation" <------ I HATE those 3 words!

I asked before but realistically how much would you expect a dealer tomove on price, ballpark figures. Mooney bought twice now how much of a discount did you get and if you dont mind me asking which dealer did you use, any recommendations
Well - I have bought 3 times from MINI dealers. All different. The first one I got from North Oxford Garage who did not discount the price at all, but gave tax and added some stripes for me - foc.

Next one I found up in Peterborough. And at the same time I traded in my first Mini with them. (they must have been pretty brave to take it as it was my red/white one with all the trim painted and all the alloys were terrible. The overall deal here meant I saved about £1k. They gave me around £500 off the car I bought and to be able to fully clear my old car finance with Mini they payed about £500 over book price for my trade in.

My last and current Mini I got from Sytner Wycombe. I had a bmw before and always used the BMW side for stuff and they had the best selection and showroom and were most happy for me to test drive a multiple load of their cars all at one time.
I had a BMW to get rid of, which they offered me £1k for (sold it via Pistonheads for £4k the very next day)
So called them up and offered on the car I test drove. Once again - I didnt get much off of it. The reason we looked at it in the first place was because it was priced very much equally to the ones available privatley.
Got about £400 off in total including the usual tax and petrol etc...

I think Mini price their cars accordingly, and when they keep an eye on the local markets you will find they are less likely to take money off.
The cars I tend to go for are the ones that have just come in from a trade in and I try and snap one up that I fall in love with, as there have been a few in the past that I go to see and people are just putting deposits down on them

I bet you would get a much better deal out there if you keep an eye on how long one has been up for sale for and go for the ones that they would be dying to get rid of.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I would have thought 7.5-8k would buy you a superb Mini One! My 54 MCS with 17k on the clock with a fairly high spec is only costing me £8900, its from an Audi dealer though!

Maybe you should look at non bmw dealers? This way you get the dealer experience (warranty/finance etc) without the bmw mark up?

Regards

Tom

·
Registered
651 Posts
If you have to go with an earlier model, just be careful and check the well known problems, such as noisy worn gearboxes, power steering pump, steering column, worn balljoints, can't think of any more at the moment...
If you get from a dealer this will have 12 months warranty which would cover any problems like this.
We had a 2nd hand 52 plate Cooper and it needed new gearbox/clutch, balljoints and there was play in the steering column, good job we sold it on ebay!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts