MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.

I've always wanted a mini, and I have found one near me that I like.

However, I'm looking for any help anyone could maybe point out in relation to it. It's an 08 plate jcw mini, 72000 miles priced at 6750. Which going by several different valuation sites, is too much, could anyone provide any guidance? What to look for? Things that should have been done for a car at this age etc?

Here's the car

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...r56-john-cooper-works------------2008/9577283

Thanks!

· Registered
21 Posts
I'd take the valuations with a pinch of salt - they're for average cars (and/or pitched too closely to "trade"/auction value), and who wants an average car? An "average" car of that age might have worn out seat bolsters, a couple of *** burns, damaged wheels, at least one panel dented, no service history history for the last few years, 2 or 3 brands of tyres and so on. I've always paid a premium over the valuations to get a nice car & covered the difference with a few years worth of GAP insurance.

Sadly a lot of private sellers seem to pitch their cars at peak retail value, not appreciating that as a buyer from a private individual you have practially no comeback compered to a dealer (not that you'll get much help there IME). Yes, that does seem quite a high price (especially for the location) but it's a Cooper S Works, it looks straight & seems to have an enthuisiatic owner, realistic price is probably more like 6k, the extra being haggle room.

Things to be cautious about - how long has the current owner had it for (mainly, are they a dealer looking for a quick flip of an auction car while avoiding their statutory duties), and (if mike_1967 has been along already while I've been pontificating) is there evidence that the cam chain has been done?

:)

· Registered
13,577 Posts
(if mike_1967 has been along already while I've been pontificating) is there evidence that the cam chain has been done? na i'm sticking with people car faults advice when buying something is always going to have many peoples views and ways of going about it,
only thing i would say a pet hate of mine is AA and RAC do a buyers guide,, trouble is thats for a under 4 year old cars i would feel. where buying cars around 2008.. different rules i feel.. will explain this i have had someone come to buy a 2007 vw passat it had new clutch and flywheel and master cylinder and slave cylinder just done all bills for parts etc.. it had covered 100k, they walked away from it because it had had this done to it like it was a sign of being hammered maybe, reality was the car was owned by a doctor and was hos from new, me i buy something because its had all the big stuff done before one thats has not its a better bet,
then theres the other end of it offer a mechanically perfect car for sale with a few marks on it and it will never sell even at half its value . which says to me a average car these days is no faults no paint damage and 12 moths mot as anything short of this when selling a private sale or dealer sale just dont sell unless spares repairs it would seem,, thats just my take on it

· Registered
56 Posts
FWIW, yesterday on a website I saw a 2010 MCS convertible going for over 9k. No, really. It has a claimed mileage of only 14k, but even assuming that's true, a 9-year old car selling for just under 40% of retail when it isn't a marque - that's far too high. My own similarly aged MCS is probably an optimistic maximum of 4k when traded in for a new car.

For me, a decade old car with low mileage has still aged - parts deteriorate, plastic hardens, paint fades, the soft roof will have been affected by UV. But - I bet it sells for 9k or VVNO.

So what's in a price? There's no such thing as expensive - just good and bad value.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.