MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My girlfriend was lined up to buy a 2009 Mini Cooper S auto, however the owner has since come back to us and advised it has major engine issues and he will no longer be selling it privately as he doesn't want to rip someone off. Its a bummer, as she had her heart set on it, but glad that we avoided a lemon.

Now I've been doing some research and apparently the 2007-2010 Cooper S models have an N14 engine, which is known for its problems.
I've also found that pre-2007 autos are CVT, also bad.

So basically I'm trying to find out what the best auto mini would be to buy for my girlfriend as its her first moderately expensive car to be used as a daily driver.

I think I've narrowed it down be a base model 2007+ if going with a petrol.
However, if anyone has feedback/info on the 1.6L Diesel and the 2.0L diesel, that would be great too, as we have found several of those to consider too..

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Aaron

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
avoid all Auto's TBF none of them are worth their salt.

The TF60-sn used in the r53 cooper's and r56's require frequent services 30k to stop the valvebody gumming up .

And the CVT is crap.

Get a manual r50 or 53 avoid all r56's their engines are plagued with issues.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
That's straight up not happening for her.
AaronW, if you get a Gen 2 petrol, make sure an experienced Mini mechanic has checked it over and obtain proof of any work done on the timing chain tensioner, has the timing chain ever been replaced, has any work been done on the HP fuel pump. If you determined to get an Auto, find a place that can and will service it correctly or be prepared to spend a lot with a Mini dealer when it goes south. On a pre inspection, check the auto trans oil level when engine is cold and also once warmed up, check the colour. If its red then OK, if its brown it need a service oil change, if its black and smells burnt walk away or be prepared to pay for a full rebuild as the clutch pack would be shot. See when the auto was last serviced and what was done on the service. Low km's are not a good indication of how the car is, the same with the service history. What you need is the VIN # pulled at a Mini dealership to find out what ALL work has been done at a dealership level and this includes recalls. You cant get the VIN # pulled until you can prove ownership of the car btw. The Gen 1 has a more robust engine where the Gen 2 is a more advanced but less robust engine that requires a more expensive regime of repairs when things go wrong. Have you considered approaching a Mini club in your state and get to know the members and what issues they have found with their cars and how they addressed their issues and who is the favoured mechanic ! If your in Victoria, look for clubMini Vic on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/clubMINIvic/

The biggest issue you will find on any Mini is neglect by prior owners who didn't want to pay the dealership service charges and didn't bother to maintain the car and are looking to offload it on an unsuspecting buyer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ended up finding a really great condition 2005 R53 Cooper S Chilli, she's stocked! Picked it up 2 days ago.

Now just need to replace the head unit as there's no aux...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi everyone,

My girlfriend was lined up to buy a 2009 Mini Cooper S auto, however the owner has since come back to us and advised it has major engine issues and he will no longer be selling it privately as he doesn't want to rip someone off. Its a bummer, as she had her heart set on it, but glad that we avoided a lemon.

Now I've been doing some research and apparently the 2007-2010 Cooper S models have an N14 engine, which is known for its problems.
I've also found that pre-2007 autos are CVT, also bad.

So basically I'm trying to find out what the best auto mini would be to buy for my girlfriend as its her first moderately expensive car to be used as a daily driver.

I think I've narrowed it down be a base model 2007+ if going with a petrol.
However, if anyone has feedback/info on the 1.6L Diesel and the 2.0L diesel, that would be great too, as we have found several of those to consider too..

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Aaron
The TF60-sn used in the r53 cooper's and r56's require frequent services 30k to stop the valvebody gumming up .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts