MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys I'm looking at getting a mini cooper coupe sd I've found one with fsh 92000 miles all the toys
thing is it is cheaper than any others I can find on the net
going to see it on Saturday is there anything I should be looking for problem wise
picture wise looks immaculate
but is looking to good to be true

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

I’m also in the same boat. Come on chaps any advice for newbies!!

The one I’m looking at is a 62 reg got 52k on it.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
52k one would be good mileage to buy at, i always say timing chains need to be thought about from 60k on wards as so many do fail. a 92k car needs to have proof of timing chain done, service history is a big one as well. clutch needs to bite 3/4 up and be smooth. the root of all evil on these prince engines is timing chains they stretch and will run when miles out cuasing other issues with cat and 02 sensors,, hence why i say to people 60k is where i change my sons cars at and both are north of 120k now turbo cars both run well still 9k oil changes

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Hi Mike,

Cheers for reply, you saying you,change timing chain at 60k ?? Must cost a fortune!!
depends if you take it to a garage or not, chain kits are £200 ish for good brand. most garages it would seem charge £600-£900 for the job which is theft i feel. as 4 hours job done thats a lot of mark up and labour charges,

yep at first 60k they had new chain and bottom sprocket and tensioner, at 120k both at full timing chain kit with vanos sprockets that kit costs £225 for a FAI branded . the first change parts were around £100 as only do a partial change its the bottom sprocket and chain that tend to get worn out,
its funny mini bmw and psa are totally aware of this and still use same parts on prince engines except the tensioner was doubled in length around 2010 just to push when it fails more towards the 100k mark, but reality is i have seen just as many 2010-2013 cars as did with the earlier ones just tend to be 10k later maybe.
if your buying from a dealer could say to him will buy it if they change timing chain as your fully aware of these issues. all the dealers are aware of the prince engine,, could argue would save him a load of hassle in the future ie if chain goes south within the 6 months he will be liable under EU law to fix it and that could be destroyed engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
mike1967
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing