MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before purchasing insurance from finsure for your beloved MINI read the condition and policy small print VERY VERY VERY carefully. :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
insurance

Sorry, but legally I might compromise myself if I say any more, just be aware.

·
Registered
448 Posts
A black box in my car, spying on my every move? I'd expected it of the government (they have plans in the pipeline already), but not of the "motorist's friend", his insurer - surely not!

Does the black box record that although I was doing 95mph on the motorway, there were no other cars at all? Will it send details of that journey to the Police? What if the Police *demand* its disclosure?

And can the black box tell if those short, safe journeys I'm taking were done while tired, or with failing (but as yet undiagnosed) eyesight? Is the motorist who does 20,000 miles a year on the motorway really more likely to claim than the school run drivers parking two-deep outside the local primary school (and if so, has the government been informed? Because last I heard, the DoT were still plugging motorways as one of the safest ways to travel)? Might it lead to "vehicular ghettos", where the premium for driving through a high-risk zone is so high we drive around it instead?

Given the number of poor drivers (in both senses of the word) isn't this another disinsentive to be properly insured?

Oh dear - either I've gone mad or the rest of the world has. The scarey part is that this must be technologically achievable, as one insurer is running trials right now.

Trialed as a money-saving measure for the prudent motorist, why do I think we'll *all* end up paying more? For the cost of the black boxes and satellite bandwidth, if nothing else.

·
Registered
330 Posts
What an appalling idea. A straightforward licence to charge you whatever they like, not only do you get done on an empty road by the s*****g GATSO, your insurance company takes a slice too! Horrendous.

Would the Americans fall for this line Bruce?

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Crashandburn said:
...Would the Americans fall for this line Bruce?
About a year ago I heard a news report on the radio that a very similar insurance tracking system, (such as the one in the BBC story), was being evaluated in the US. My thoughts at the time were that no consumer would want to trade their freedom and privacy just to save a few dollars. But, I guess I should never underestimate the stupidity of people who only think short-range.

I don't have anything to hide about where I drive, but, just the same, that doesn't mean that I want it to be recorded by a private firm or by the state. It is hard to understand why someone would willfully give permission to some company to monitor that person's every move in a car - day and night. Strong overtones of Big Brother getting closer and closer to reality (the book 1984 - not the TV show :)).

But you never can tell, some folks think increased government control is fine. For example, people live and work in Singapore with some of the most restrictive laws in the world. The authorities there would argue that the city's strict laws help protect everyone and ensure a peaceful place to live. But given the power to control the minutiae of everyday life, look where at the absurd level this has taken them: The Singaporean government assumed every citizen who enjoys chewing gum posed a threat of carelessly discarding the gum, fouling the sidewalks or other public places. To the bureaucrats this threat was pervasive and intolerable. Their solution: Chewing gum is completely banned - and they back that up with a $10,000 fine for importation of chewing gum. Most people probably didn't care about not being able to chew gum, but what the government did was to take away from each person the little freedom of choosing to enjoy a piece of gum as well as the choice of acting responsibly to dispose of the gum. These subtle erosions of simple freedoms can have a huge cumulative effect.

To me, the insurance policy that spys on you is just such an erosion.

·
Registered
546 Posts
MINZRED said:
Before purchasing insurance from finsure for your beloved MINI read the condition and policy small print VERY VERY VERY carefully. :mad: :mad:
You need to read the small print on all policies - they're not all the same. Most insurers now provide a 14 day "cooling off" period during which you should satisfy yourself that you've got the cover you expected. If not, cancel within that period and get your money back.

It's been mentioned before, but as most potential MINI owners will be buying new, you need a policy that includes "new car replacement" for the first 12 months of ownership - or separate gap insurance. Of the companies mentioned on this site so far, it appears that Elephant does not include this cover in its policy. Elephant's wording can be read on-line and it also has a nasty looking "road rage" exclusion.

If any MINI2 member has a specific insurance problem and wants assistance resolving it, I'd be glad to try to help. If it can't be aired in public, send a private message.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Ricardo,

Very generous offer :D.

Can gap insurance be bought separately? And any idea who's best, or is it still best to shop around?

I have to admit that all I did when I got my Cooper was transfer my policy from my last car to the new one, and pocket the difference. Cheap, I know, but simple ;) . Now that I have to renew my policy (end of the month) I've been following these insurance threads carefully. Currently the replacement bit is missing on my policy - can I still get it even though the car is ~5 months old? Or given that it has a Chilli pack which seems to have caused some owners insurance problems is gap insurance the best route to go (avoids any potential misunderstandings with my insurance company if I don't tell them it has the Chilli pack)?

The car also has alarm and ASC+T, but I suspect most of your mob would just look at the Chilli pack and choose to ignore the added security/safety features - no offence.

Cheers.

·
Registered
546 Posts
GAP Insurance seems to be available principally through dealers and finance providers. I'll see if I can find out if you can buy it elsewhere - I'm sure that I've seen it sold through other outlets but can't remember where.

I know there are some other posts on this site about the cover when bought from the MINI dealership.

The "new car replacement" benefit means that the insurer pays for a new car (to the same spec) if your vehicle is damaged beyond a certain percentage of the list price. It's typically 50 or 60 percent of list. The usual rule is that the car must have been regd in your name from new and the benefit ceases after the car's 12 months old. If you take out another policy (with this benefit) when your car's 5 months old you'll still have the protection for the remaining 7 months or so. Imagine how gutted you'd be if the car was nicked or badly damaged at age 11 months and the insurer just offered you the depreciated market value?

The Chili pack thing is nothing to worry about. The insurer didn't ask you to tell them the precise option pack so they can't and won't use that to avoid liability. A Cooper Chili is still a Cooper - Chili is not a badged designation like Ford's Ghia tag. I think some people may have had problems because most of the people in insurers' and broker's offices aren't MINI enthusiasts and have no idea what a "Chili" pack is. They have probably assumed it's either a modification, or a different model that's not on their 'puter system.

Lastly, ASC+T won't make any difference but your alarm might knock a bit off your quote (likely to be a max of 5%).

By the way, I'm not part of any "mob" (no offence was taken) :D :D - I've spent most of my working life beating down insurer's prices to get a better deal for clients and increasing the cost of their claims. Brokers, well some of them, act for their clients and are duty bound to put the client's interests above all other things.

Sorry to waffle on but it's all part of the training.

;)

·
Registered
330 Posts
No probs with 'waffle', thanks for the info.

You're right - I'd be EXTREMELY gutted if the car was written off like that at 11 months.... I didn't really think Chilli would prove a problem, I declared the cars full cost as value and will do so again when I renew with whoever. Your debate with VC was also most enlightening.

Al least in my case the premium won't be too frightening. There are some advantages to being a teenager++

:D

·
Registered
113 Posts
I took out insurance from direct line website for our first MINI (Chili).

The website only gave me 2 options for a Cooper - Auto and Manual.

I phoned to arrange cover for our replacement Cooper - the guy asked specifically if it was a Chili or Pepper or standard. Told him Chili and he said it would cost an extra £93 because my first policy was for a standard Cooper. Argued the point as the website still doesnt let you choose Chili or Pepper - they are not charging us any extra.

Point is - Chili pack makes a difference (to Direct Line anyway).

Make sure you have the right cover !

Dave

·
Registered
330 Posts
Direct Line seem to have taken your words to heart - they gave me a very competitive quote this afternoon, and I did point out my Cooper had a Chilli Pack. They didn't seem fazed on the phone, I said 'it has no modifications it didn't come out of the factory with, but it does have a number of factory fitted optional extras' and then reeled them off. When questioned about new car replacement they stated it would be to the same specification as the original. Not bad. Main drawbacks were relatively high excess and no guaranteed courtesy cars, but definitely competitive.

I must say though, there is some confusion in some companies. Most though aren't fussed and if you use the line I did (no modifications it didn't come out of the factory with), then they're quite happy.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Unfortunately the British motorist and especially motorcyclists are becoming a very good, easy to charge revenue earner for the Government. They hide under the ecology, road safety buls**t and get all kinds of racist style laws passed.
For example, if the kind of freedom of movement laws and policies were applied to ethnic minorities as were applied to motorcyclists, they would be deemed as racially discriminating!!
There are so many ridiculous laws aimed at motorcyclists now, that I can break 4 of them just sitting on my bike in the driveway of my house!!! I can break two of them walking out of the house with my bike gear on!!! :mad:
It looks like it's starting to happen to car drivers.
This area really gets me on my soap box :mad: ... as you probably noticed.;)

·
Registered
330 Posts
:(

Old news, and it gets worse when you consider government plans to charge for work place car parking. Stephen Byers (HMG's Transport Secretary) is an incompetent little wan*er who I wouldn't p*ss on if he were on fire. I wouldn't trust the sh*t to introduce satellite tracking on congested roads if he was offering to pay us for driving on them, let alone expecting us to fork out yet more cash for the privilege of sitting in even longer traffic jams. This f*cking goverment will KILL cars and the pleasure of driving.

BruceK, the land of milk and handguns is looking ever better to me.......

Rant over.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts