MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of ordering a 2005 MCS for track use in SCCA or NASA.I was wondering if I have the JCW conversion done does this change the class I can compete in or limit/prevent me from competition in the US.(I went to both sites but could not find the rules for Mini's which I assume are in the GCR book for both respective organizations)

·
Best Personal Regards
2,022 Posts
You will be able to run in NASA track day events I am sure, with your car in 'stock condition, be it an S or not.
Serious road racing will require, as you know, some mods......NASA will let you get by with a roll bar and a fire extinguisher.....no one else will. I don't really know NASA's class structure, but I am sure they will accommodate you.

Both SCCA and BMWCCA will require a bolt in roll cage and a proper competition seat (SCCA) or bracing for your dead stock seat (BMWCCA).
SCCA will require seat belts no older than two years old (US spec) or 5 years old at most if FIA spec. BMWCCA is a bit less stringent.
SCCA will require a fully plumbed in fire extinguisher system, BMWCCA will require a normal B/C kind of 2.5 pounds strapped.
both orgs will re

As to classes:

SCCA Nationals:
You will be classified SSC in a Cooper and I believe SSB with the S. You will be uncompetitive in both. JCW is not accommodated by the SCCA (that I know of) but if it was, more than likely it would be in T-2, where again you will have to deal with seriouly high HP machines.
IF BMW went to bat for the MINI in these classes, I am sure they could become competitive....absent factory pressure for added "competitive adjustments".....no way.

In BMWCCA you will compete in H Stock or Prepared with the Cooper and in J with the S.
If you have the JCW you get to duke it out with the JP boys and them's gotte'm M-3 modded to the max.......

So....can you race....you bet.....can you win.....not likely ....do you care....I wouldn't! Racing a MINI is a blast and you will surprise a lot of people!

The S is highly competitive in Pro Endurance Racing......NUZZO Racing MINI's are truly giant killers but they also get some unbelievable mods like an intercooler that is about four times larger than stock.

Finally, there is SCCA Production.....or GT Classes....in which case, go get you a tube frame, a thin fiberglass body, bolt on a killer motor with a competition gearbox on it and go get them. The rear light lenses of the MINI will be about as close you get to having a stock piece in that baby.........

Hope this helps......

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Here's a tip that might be helpful. Scottsdale (AZ) MINI sells MINIs set up to the racing specs (class) you specify. To facilitate this they usually have some base cars held back for this purpose that are not sold through the normal sales channels, which also means less waiting time. The base cars are lighter than what most people or dealers usually spec (no sunroof or option packages) but are still nice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
SCCA Classing changes for '05

pocketrocketowner said:
SCCA Nationals:
You will be classified SSC in a Cooper and I believe SSB with the S. You will be uncompetitive in both. JCW is not accommodated by the SCCA (that I know of) but if it was, more than likely it would be in T-2, where again you will have to deal with seriouly high HP machines.
IF BMW went to bat for the MINI in these classes, I am sure they could become competitive....absent factory pressure for added "competitive adjustments".....no way.
Actually, a number of changes have been made for the Mini in 2005.

The "S" has moved to SSC (yes, alongside the non-S). It's now 75lbs heavier than it was in SSB. Many think it may be the car to have. Even the '05 is allowed, but the limited-slip is not. That may be its doom.

The Works kit is now approved in the S, but in the new T3 class (which is regional only for 2005, but T3 cars can run in T2 at National events). The T3 class has not yet been approved by the BOD, but that is supposed to happen this week. Touring class cars may use a limited-slip.

·
Best Personal Regards
2,022 Posts
I find it great that SCCA has finally classed the JCW. I happen to be the one that requested the Comp. Board to classify it. I believe the JCW with LSD will be a fun car in T-2 and will surely blow some Camaros and F-Birds away....some.....me thinks the Caddies will still rule the roost......
Hopefully T-3 will prove popular. With the consolidation of GT-4 and 5 into one but the addition of Spec Miata to the nationla class line up, I doubt the SCCA will want ANOTHER National Class soon

·
my second passion, a tin!
729 Posts
The biggest event in our part of the world "Targa Tasmania" does not allow the JCW kit as its an aftermarket install.:rolleyes: This is from the FIA rules for Targa rallies.

Currently Mini Aus and Cooper works are going in to bat for us but its not looking good. Dumb thing is we get placed in the 2.5l to 3.5l class even with a stock S so compete head to head with STI's and EVO's

·
Best Personal Regards
2,022 Posts
As you can see from above, at least the JCW got recognized, and we always really were for Regional Racing.....SCCA has two "catch all" classes for road racing at the Regional level...STO (Street Touring Over 2.5 Litres) and STU....... those are the classes modded (and safety equipped) Cooper S and Cooper can compete.
Dunno 'bout rallying....I am too much of a moron when it comes to going fast around dirt roads.....I tend to do "regularity" ones but not in my MINI....who wants to chip the paint off of the best looking automobile this side of the known universe (not to mention its blinding speed of course)

·
Registered
6 Posts
pocketrocketowner said:
As you can see from above, at least the JCW got recognized, and we always really were for Regional Racing.....SCCA has two "catch all" classes for road racing at the Regional level...STO (Street Touring Over 2.5 Litres) and STU....... those are the classes modded (and safety equipped) Cooper S and Cooper can compete.
Actually, at the regional level, every region is different. My region (San Francisco Region) doesn't have the classes you mention, though we do have ITE (catch-all for pretty much anything based on a street car.)

Don't forget that (heavily) modded Coopers can compete in the Production and GT classes too.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Once again SCCA shoots itself in the foot, making sure of smaller fields of more costly cars in the future.
The biggest sedan fields ever were under the A,B,C sedan rules. Playing fields were level since tube frame race cars with facsimile bodies were not allowed, weights were set by displacement with adjustment for head design, and enough modififications were allowed to make the cars fast and fun. The trouble was that brand new cars were generally not competitve with older designs that club racers had developed for years and years.
The new MINI Cooper would have been great car for B Sedan (1600 cc)with the class requirement of stock suspension and induction systems. After about 4 or 5 years of racing the weaker parts and cool tweaks would be known, and the average Joe could field a competitive car. AND it would get better year after year with little outlay of cash. All the money in the world didn't matter if you couldn't drive fast. One would have to settle for being blown off by a well driven Triumph Vitessa from the sixties that had been modified and campaigned since it was new.
If you just want to compete with a stock car, run whatever showroom stock class you are placed in and hope politics had made your car competitive. If you want to drive a racecar just buy the engine block and head, transmission case, and windshield. Everything else can be, and will be by those that can afford it, replaced with aftermarket components.
Or buy a Formula V and race with the real racers.

·
Best Personal Regards
2,022 Posts
olddad said:
Once again SCCA shoots itself in the foot, making sure of smaller fields of more costly cars in the future.
The biggest sedan fields ever were under the A,B,C sedan rules. Playing fields were level since tube frame race cars with facsimile bodies were not allowed, weights were set by displacement with adjustment for head design, and enough modififications were allowed to make the cars fast and fun. The trouble was that brand new cars were generally not competitve with older designs that club racers had developed for years and years.
The new MINI Cooper would have been great car for B Sedan (1600 cc)with the class requirement of stock suspension and induction systems. After about 4 or 5 years of racing the weaker parts and cool tweaks would be known, and the average Joe could field a competitive car. AND it would get better year after year with little outlay of cash. All the money in the world didn't matter if you couldn't drive fast. One would have to settle for being blown off by a well driven Triumph Vitessa from the sixties that had been modified and campaigned since it was new.
If you just want to compete with a stock car, run whatever showroom stock class you are placed in and hope politics had made your car competitive. If you want to drive a racecar just buy the engine block and head, transmission case, and windshield. Everything else can be, and will be by those that can afford it, replaced with aftermarket components.
Or buy a Formula V and race with the real racers.
You're talking to a Vee driver....12th at the Run-Offs this year, 3rd in 2002, UK national Champion in '95......on and on...will be Vee racing in Germany in 2005! And mah MINI wherever they will let me.......

One of the best classes in SCCA (of course AFTER the Vees) is A Sedan. Unfortunately, I am starting to see manufacturer interest (GM has Heinrici in a Camaro) which inevitably means more money.....to be spent by....the drivers......

·
Registered
434 Posts
Pocketrocket, you probably know Mace German from the San Francisco Region. He crewed for me as a teenager on my Mini. He could see that SCCA was shifting away its club racing history and was able to race for many years with the same car in V. He also saw many of the drivers drop what they were doing to leave the paddock to watch the V race. I enjoyed a period of time when the average field in C sedan was around a dozen cars. I see now the GT5 cars often run unopposed. It took two years of politics to get oil coolers ok'd for production classes back then because Denver was worried it would be too great an expense for the owner/drivers. Trying to get SCCA to have the look and feel of NASCAR has driven a lot of club racers out of racing. Working on each other's cars to get everybody on the grid for Sunday and the course workers Saturday night bonfire/keg party are casualties of the money pit SCCA racing has become.

·
Best Personal Regards
2,022 Posts
You are right in more ways than one. I love Vees, love the National level for my class but little else in SCCA. "Race go to your motel, treat workers and officials like ****" seems to be the motto. Lots of people now race Vintage....that is where the true racers have gone.
Vees are unbeatable.....you should see 'em in Mexico......on street tires...400 bucks gets your tires for three years..... :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all your responses.Hey Pocketrocketowner, interstingly enough I am just finishing a BRD Formula Vee racer that I am planning to race this season.I met a couple of Vee racers and they seem like a fun group so I am looking foward to it...Scotty

·
Best Personal Regards
2,022 Posts
ScottRGerber said:
Thanks for all your responses.Hey Pocketrocketowner, interstingly enough I am just finishing a BRD Formula Vee racer that I am planning to race this season.I met a couple of Vee racers and they seem like a fun group so I am looking foward to it...Scotty

You'll never look back....it has been 26 years for me..........the best is of course the people..... to a man.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tried Scottsdale today but was told they do not order cars stripped as mentioned here. After calling about 20 dealers, it looks like the only way to get one without all the packages is to order one (typically takes about 2 months, really not that bad). If someone else has better info please let me know.

By the way, ordered a stripped Cooper for SSC only to have SCCA put the S in SSC. Maybe I can trade it...........

·
Classic & New Owner
93 Posts
This past weekend out at Phoenix International Raceway the SCCA held their annual "Double National" event. There was one MINI S racing in SSC and he looked pretty good placing first in his class. Looking at the car it didn't look all that modified, but it did have a full roll cage in it. The SCCA let us guys & gals in our MINIs do parade laps during lunch time.

One of my friends showed up with one of those spec racing MCS's from MINI of North Scottsdale. He had just purchased it in the last month. Price????? 42 large!!!!! :eek: That included, Racing tires/wheels, shocks, springs, sway bars front and rear, exhaust (B&B exhaust) full cage rollbar, Sparco seats and full harnesses, air intake, Stoptech brakes at the front and I'm not sure about the pulley. He had a MOMO wheel that he was going to fit soon also. He was told that there will be 14 or 15 of these spec racers here in Phx by March. His first race is in Feb. at Firebird so I will check that out.

One of the interesting things about this spec class is that MNS builds (mods) all the MINIS and for $300 per race they show up in their trick trailer setup for tech support at each race (any parts you might need are extra).

Below, Mark's spec racing MCS

1 - 16 of 16 Posts