MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I am a new proud owner of a black and white cooper with white bonnet stripes.
I am experiencing a noise which I can only describe as a watery swishing sound ( or some fluid moving anyway like in a bottle) from I think behind the console. This noise only really is heard when I bring the cooper to a stop or if I'm pulling off from stationary.
My dealer said it could be related to the air con (I have auto air con) not being used and said I should keep it on. Obviously with the noise of the air con I can't really hear the swish swoosh noise but I'm interested to know if this noise has been heard by other owners and whether this is normal and part of having the air con turned off. I have not had air con in a car before and would be interested to hear from other owners about this.
Thanks
Sunny

·
www.totalmini*****
15,256 Posts
I hear it in my S as well. If you rev the engine (in neutral) with all of the aircon turned off it can be quite easily heard. I believe it may be water being "swooshed" into the coolant header tank, which is situated on the front bulkhead at the back of the engine bay.

It is annoying, but I'm not sure what can be done about it.

Any one agree or disagree with my suggestion?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hi,

I have the same gurgling swoosh on my 3 month old S with Auto air con. I have had air con on my previous Audis and VWs and never heard this noise. I tend to get it when I first start up from cold but then it dissappears as I run the air con all time. I don't think it's anything to worry about as it seems to be a common trait.

Tim

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
16,430 Posts
its strange how this has come around again for discussion as soon as the weather turns colder. There was a lot of discussion about this last winter & there never was a conclusive answer. Theories ranged from fuel in the tank, coolant or air con. The only conclusion that was reached was that most people have heard it from time to time, it goes away once the car is warmed up & it seems to be completely harmless.

·
www.totalmini*****
15,256 Posts
In think it's coolant. Once the water has warmed up and a bit of pressure has built up it goes away. During the summer the water is "warmer" and so doesn't make any horrid noises. My old VW used to make this noise ion the winter too!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I thought it was the washer bottle for the headlights - as the 'bottle' I'd assume is down by the passenger footwell. I've never heard it whilst stationary, but only when pulling away/stopping sharply or 'sweeping' round corners.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Penguinblue said:
Hi,

I have the same gurgling swoosh on my 3 month old S with Auto air con. I have had air con on my previous Audis and VWs and never heard this noise. I tend to get it when I first start up from cold but then it dissappears as I run the air con all time. I don't think it's anything to worry about as it seems to be a common trait.

Tim

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had this problem since delivery of the car and it is very annoying !

Today the car has been back in for an alleged fix - which is to replace a coolant hose behind the dash but it has made no difference at all so looks like I am back to square one.

Any advice welcome

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all your replies....I'm glad none of you who have experienced this problem have had to take the car back....mine still makes the noise but I'm more reassured now that its nothing more than a personality trait of my mini...abit like its interior screaks.
Sunny

·
Registered
668 Posts
We experienced this on our MC for a while but haven't noticed it recently.

I think it was coolant - always when starting from cold having been parked on a slope.

The general view in earlier threads seemed to be coolant.

·
2,756 Posts
I also have the watery slush noise in my S.. was told by the service manager at the dealer that it was in the coolant as well and that I should not worry about it.

I can mostly hear it when i start the car or if the car has been sitting idle for a while.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I think it's possible that it could be air trapped in the heater core, under the dashboard. I know that my car was delivered with air in the coolant system, since I added almost two pints of coolant in the first 3000 miles, and had no visable coolant leak. And numerous owners have reported brown/orange coolant, which might also be attributed also to entrapped air.

Someone with this problem ask your dealer next time, if air can be bled from the heater core.

·
Registered
668 Posts
wmd said:
I think it's possible that it could be air trapped in the heater core.
Both our MC and MCS have suddenly "lost" quite a worrying amount of coolant. I topped it up, and neither car has lost any since. I suspect it is due to trapped air bubble which clears, with the resultant coolant level loss.

·
MINI Traitor
4,974 Posts
RedMini said:
Both our MC and MCS have suddenly "lost" quite a worrying amount of coolant. I topped it up, and neither car has lost any since. I suspect it is due to trapped air bubble which clears, with the resultant coolant level loss.
I suspect you're spot on ;) If you add some water now it will suck that back in, and you'll be right :) You might want to add demineralised water, rather than just tap water though.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.