MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am absolutely fed up with all the whiners and complainers moaning about their cabrio roofs leaking, fading and fraying.
Coud we please hear from those of us who have roofs which are working properly, fit well, and go up and down so that we can enjoy open motoring whenever we want to regardless of whether it is 28 degrees Fahrenheit or 28 degrees Celsius.
Speaking personally, my roof appeared to have the dreaded "fingerprint fade marks" but I just gave them a rub with my hand and the marks wore off and the colour of the roof was underneath - they appeared to be remnants of some dust or talc which had been used in the transportation process.
As for leaking, tonight I took my MINI through a "touchless" carwash which pumps water onto the cabrio top at 40 gallons per minute and 1200 psi which is probably heavier than any rainstorm I will ever encounter and there was not one drop of water inside the car.
While I feel the pain of those of you who have had problems with your roofs, I have this to say:
1) Make sure that you shut the roof properly and keep the button pressed until the motors shut off
2) Make sure that you always shut the windows in the correct sequence, rears first, then fronts
3) If you have a problem TAKE IT BACK TO YOUR FREAKING DEALER AND GET IT FIXED and stop complaining to US. We cannot help you! Your dealer can and should help you. If your dealer does not believe you, take him through a car wash and show him. That should solve it once and for all.

·
Registered
514 Posts
It's only been a week now, but after 400+ miles and over a dozen roof operations, there are no signs of problems with my roof. :) I have a power washer unit (1200 PSI as well) I use at home on my cars and no matter where I sprayed, no water entered the vehicle.

I can sympathize with those who've had problems. But based on my personal experience, I believe that Mini has designed and built a wonderful convertible!

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
:D

Love this thread, I was only thinking the other day, why are all cabrio owners such a bunch of moaners:p

My G/F has a MCC the roof rattles a bit on the passenger side and no its not the seat belts, but it doesn't leak even when jet washed and there are no excesive roof wearing issues. The roof comes down whenever it is not raining and we love it. So much so I have just ordered a MCSC for myself :D

But, I guess people are allowed to tell us all about the problems on their roof if they have them, some people are more picky, some will have got the odd bad car, so it will happen and you will always find that people will post about problems than happy/good experiences, its just human nature. So lets not try to bash those that are unlucky and have issues, let s just focus on those that don't have problems:)

·
Benny the Yellow Cab
347 Posts
Mine is fit and fine. Hasn't been through a high pressure wash to tell about leaks...and likely won't as Benny gets hand washed only...but...I'm very happy. I emphathize with those who have problems though and encourage them to post so we can all learn from them.

Peter...in Denver

·
Registered
67 Posts
So far, so good .... and I have had mine since early September. However, I did treat the top with 303 convertible top protectant.

ftbt

2005 Works Cooper S Convertible, DS-w- White Bonnet Stripes, Sn. 6808.

2002 Works Cooper S, Sn. 1165, + '05 JCW upgrade; DS/W; Sport + Premium + H Sport Springs, Competition Front & Rear Sway Bars, Rear Camber Control Arms + 17" Team Dynamics Pro Race 1's; 215-45-17 Kumho MX's + AP Racing Formula Big Brakes, XDrilled Rotors, Goodridge SS Lines + Clear Bra + Cobra Daytonas + Schroth Harnesses and a full tank of 100 octane ... life is good!

2002 Cooper CVT LY/W

·
I can't spell
2,856 Posts
No problems here in my almost 2 months of ownership. But now that I have said that, it will start leaking or something.
I have taken the car through the carwash several times and we've had some pretty bad rain here a few weeks ago. No leaks and no wear marks. I did spreay my top with that 303 stuff (I think that's what it's called) on her first wash. It makes the water bead up and keeps the top looking great.
I also do sympathize with the owners who are having problems, and I am sure seeing that there are several owners who aren't having problems, they will think "why me?"

·
Registered
401 Posts
Don't even start to **** me off...

I bought a 30,000 dollar car, I don't need it defective. As taking it back to the dealer doesnt' help because they admitted its a problem and they admitted they don't know how to fix it. I'm pretty sure if you ended up with water in your back seat when it rained hard you would be ****ed too. So you got lucky, and no leaking or fraying, but just wait one day it might happen and you will be here with the rest of us complaining.

Howard

·
Now Cooper D Clubman
553 Posts
All of cabrios I have seen including 4 demonstrators at dealers and a bloke I spoke to in car park today all had roof wear problems. I'm glad you have no problems but if you spent £18500 ( around $30000) I'm sure you would try and warn others. Dealers will not change any roofs until modified one is in prodution unless it leaks. That could be 3 months 6 months I don't know. Mine is badly worn in only 3 weeks I think that gives me and others the right to complain. A lot of the time the dealer fobs you off but BMW have finally admitted there is a problem. I'm happy for you but don't read the problem threads and then slag us off for expecting our cars to be perfect. My last hard top Cooper had no snags in 6000 / 4 months so I know they can get it right.

·
Registered
437 Posts
My top has been great. I was very worried before delivery (Sep 30th) after reading all posts from Europe on this site. If you look at my top, there are two areas above the rear passenger windows that appear more "glossy" than the rest of the top. If that's what the roof wear is, then I could give a frog's fat one...still looks great. Having said that, if something happens to my roof, then I'll be talking a different story.

Which makes me wonder: What if somebody takes a knife and cuts my roof in half, huge slash through the top. Are the local Mini dealers able to fix that? Replace the fabric, or the whole roof?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I can finally put in my $0.02.

After having the car for a couple of days, I couldn’t believe I had the white marks show up on my blue roof. I took a damp cloth and blotted them away. So far so good.

The only problem I've had with having the top down is having too many leaves falling into the car. :D

Tom

·
'MINI' or 'MAXI'??!
392 Posts
thebigyin said:
......1) Make sure that you shut the roof properly and keep the button pressed until the motors shut off
2) Make sure that you always shut the windows in the correct sequence, rears first, then fronts
3) If you have a problem TAKE IT BACK TO YOUR FREAKING DEALER AND GET IT FIXED and stop complaining to US. We cannot help you! Your dealer can and should help you. If your dealer does not believe you, take him through a car wash and show him. That should solve it once and for all.

.... well how patronising are you?

lucky you having such a wonderful car that does everything you would expect! bet if ur car leaked etc etc etc as does a lot or people's you too would winge moan scream shout and be totally pi** ed off at the thought of spending 'x' amount of money for a car that is no where near living up to your expectations?!

Well, glad you and others like you are happy but for us foke with the dodgy vehicles... we will moan 'til we get a perfect (or as near perfect) car as you have!.... and yes we do take are cars "back to the freaking dealership" for all the good it does.
ok rant over, but god ur soooo patronising.

:mad:

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
thebigyin said:
I am absolutely fed up with all the whiners and complainers moaning about their cabrio roofs leaking, fading and fraying.

You might be fed up reading people's problems but not as fed up as the unfortunate folks who are having to put up with the fault.

I'm sure they are grateful for your support :mad:

·
Elated Motorer!
52 Posts
I have had my MINI for 6 glorious days and we have been through 3 frosts, one snow, one rain and 1.5 days of open motoring and I have zero problems to report! I'm in love :)

Honestly though, I do feel for you all that do have issues and i sincerely hope they get resolved. After the weeks and weeks of waiting for the MINI to arrive, I would be devastated if something was wrong with her. Especially when the dealership gives you the runaround. I hope i'm not approaching the week of perfection, now your doomed mark!

·
Now Cooper D Clubman
553 Posts
[QUOTE=thebigyin
Speaking personally, my roof appeared to have the dreaded "fingerprint fade marks" but I just gave them a rub with my hand and the marks wore off and the colour of the roof was underneath - they appeared to be remnants of some dust or talc which had been used in the transportation process.

Thanks for including this quote that is exactly I thought ( except I thought it was wax or grease) after I put the hood up on the first day. Where the hood folds and the wear problem appears, that part of the hood only touches the canvas around the rear window and with friction as you drive wears the canvas away slightly each time you drop it. In fact I looked at pictures when it was 1 day old and the marks are there. If you can honestly say you have no "shiny" or slightly faded marks above the rear windows then good luck. If you have then we will see you on this web site in the summer when you use the roof more. Don't get me wrong I love the car and all the other "wingers" and "whiners" do to but you have high expectations. Also the shear numbers of "us" surely points to a design problem and we are only trying to help / warn others so they do not become wingers and whiners. Also mine has worn and fraying on the edges ( see pics) and have come up with a solution myself. The cloth needs "training" to fold correctly and not in on itself. all you do is pull out and fold the crease in so it folds right next time. I suggest everyone checks and I am informing BMW for them to include it in their pre delivery inspection. I hope you all appreciate a little positive feedback for a change. The dealers have also offered to replace the roof or the car so taking to them and them in turn informing BMW will get positve results in the end for us all. Cheers.

Attachments

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
thebigyin said:
Coud we please hear from those of us who have roofs which are working properly, fit well, and go up and down so that we can enjoy open motoring whenever we want to regardless of whether it is 28 degrees Fahrenheit or 28 degrees Celsius.
As for leaking, tonight I took my MINI through a "touchless" carwash which pumps water onto the cabrio top at 40 gallons per minute and 1200 psi which is probably heavier than any rainstorm I will ever encounter and there was not one drop of water inside the car.
While I feel the pain of those of you who have had problems with your roofs, I have this to say:
1) Make sure that you shut the roof properly and keep the button pressed until the motors shut off
Okay, my hood does not, and never has leaked. However, not only do I have the 'normal' wear (and believe me, if you want to try rubbing my marks off...good luck to you!) but it is also fraying 40cms back from the front of the hood where it folds for sunroof mode. It has also broken down mid opening twice.

Tbh, your post was very patronising, you actually believe people wouldn't shut their hoods properly? And as for putting your windows up in the right order, if you press the window up button, it does it for you!!

Other than that my hood is fine...I am not a moaner, just telling you like it is....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.