MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am thinking of fitting a CAI unit onto my MCS. Everything else on the engine is standard.

Basically my questions are....

How do you rate the JCW filter against say an ALTA one?
Will i have to let my insurer know that i've fitted it?
Have people found that fitting non JCW parts affects aftersale opportunities?

Cheers :indi:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
1. Induction kits dont make much noticable performance increase on a standard car so there will be even less between 2 different induction kits.
2.yes you have to tell insurance
3. Jcw parts shouldn't effect aftersales much as they can mostly be removed and even if not most people would rather have them.

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Hi KitKat,

I don't have either on my car, so can't answer the first one.....

Any modification to your cars standard spec requires you to inform your insurance company. Else, you run the risk of your policy being declared void.

Fitting any kind of modification does limit the resale market. Most people will look for cars which are unmodified and unmolested - very few buyers actually seek out modified cars. Hence why modified cars don't command such a high resale value.

Hope that helps....and no douby someone will be along shortly who can advise on the merrits of either CAI ;)

Jon

·
Registered
460 Posts
If you fit a CAI make sure its a proper closed box system, we have tested a couple of open boxes on our cooper s and found a normal panel filter to be far more effective the only CAI we sell is the m7 as its a closed box system and relatively cheap next to other CAI's as in reality you only need a panel filter, some people just prefer the look of the CAI

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
If you fit a CAI make sure its a proper closed box system, we have tested a couple of open boxes on our cooper s and found a normal panel filter to be far more effective the only CAI we sell is the m7 as its a closed box system and relatively cheap next to other CAI's as in reality you only need a panel filter, some people just prefer the look of the CAI
Which open boxes did you test? and how did you score them all? It would be good to know?

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
At the end of the day you can easily remove most after market filters when selling :) And mostly its just a sound increase instead of a performance increase but the performance doesnt drop off as quick so far as I have found as the filter gets dirty. Probably just an effect of having more surface area.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Which open boxes did you test? and how did you score them all? It would be good to know?
not relay going to say as it would open up a large kettle of fish but they were run on our cooper s over more than 2 months of all types of driving ;) but the tests will be repeated next month so we can compare them to the m7 we sell (this time we will run it with a scan gauge and publish IAT results)

we still maintain a panel filter is best, as its been proven to flow well over the required use by tests in the states buy a few of the tuners over there

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
IAT is measured after the air has been through the throttle body, the supercharger, the intercooler and the hot alloy horns, its not a great measure of an air filter.

Maybe you could look at flow rates and logging the temps as they leave the airbox?

I may free up a channel on my logger and do some tests.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
not relay going to say as it would open up a large kettle of fish but they were run on our cooper s over more than 2 months of all types of driving ;) but the tests will be repeated next month so we can compare them to the m7 we sell (this time we will run it with a scan gauge and publish IAT results)

we still maintain a panel filter is best, as its been proven to flow well over the required use by tests in the states buy a few of the tuners over there
Interesting in our tests the GTT Cold Ram has measurably lower pressure drop than a performance panel filter.
Taking data off the T Map is not alot of good for this test ,as far too many things to cloud/distort results plus is after the SC.
You could take data off the upstream map sensor (Dave :cool:), which will give resultant pressure loss of ...air box+air cleaner+ induction hose+ throttle body+ and the black plastic plenum. Or if you want to test airfilter and airbox ONLY :cool:,then take a 90 degree take off from just after the airfilter then test on the road at WOT and monitor pressure drop on a vacuum guage (nanometer) below atmospheric. Must be at 90 deg as you want static pressure readings not dynamic pressure.
This test is the only accurate way as its actual conditions on the road (very important as the flow at the base of windsreen helps flow to the filter) and other restictions cannot distort the data.
This is how we tested it in our thread of 3 years ago.
Agreed it needs to be insulated to avoid hot air entering, I believe the GTT Cold Ram kit is the only one double insulated on the hot inboard face using a twin skin system. GTT Cold Ram is also unique in having a true 360 degree rolled edge Rampipe (machined from a solid 4.5 " billet of alloy) mounted inside the filter, this prevent currents in the flow as it enters the bellmouth.
As with the intercooler you want minimal pressure drop COMBINED WITH lowest intake/charge temp. 0.5 psi here and 0.5psi there soon adds up, and the SC will not just compensate for this loss. A turbo will do (if you know that your doing when plumbing the actuator).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info....think i will go for the jcw one as i think that'll affect the aftersale less.

James - Is this a closed box system? If not what is an example of one?

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
Thanks for the info....think i will go for the jcw one as i think that'll affect the aftersale less.

I use the JCW KitKit.

It is a closed box system which seals the airbox off from the rest of the engine bay, it is a contained unit. Cai's like Alta and GTT I think are sealed against the bonnet or can be supplied with a lid to produce the same effect. K&N 57i kits suck in hot air and worsen performance.

The JCW kit has a flap which opens electronically over 4500 rpm to allow air to enter from the ducts at base of the windsreen from an opening in the cowl area behind the air-box to increase airflow. The flap can be removed completely from the unit (like JCW challenge cars) to allow cool air to enter at any rpm so if you use hard throttle from 2,000 - 3,000 rpm you'll get the increased airflow otherwise there are no benefits till 4,500 rpm. I also used a better flowing ITG filter and sold the orginal JCW one on ebay.

I highly recommend removing the electronic flap as it makes much easier DIY fitting and makes a better all round CAI. I got mine for £199 from the USA along with the same 380cc fuel injectors used in JCW cars for an additional £130.

See my brief report here: 380cc Injectors & JCW/M Intake... nice difference!!

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
JCW CAI as Batou recommends, however I use the GTT Hybrid filter instead of the JCW paper filter - very discrete mod as you only see 3 black plugs on the outside of the filter housing.

THE GT TUNING PERFORMANCE PARTS DESIGN & PRICING POLICY
I looked into this and ending up going for the ITG at only £47 delivered, does the same job and you don't have to change anything on the filter housing so better stealth wise. Sold my paper JCW one for £20 and the electronic gubbins for £25 lol :D . Spent the extra cash on fitting :)

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
Thanks alan, I know Dave at 'Think Mini' is a huge fan of this little mod aswell.:smile:
Which reminds me - I need another one for the LHD GP. We are back in UK from 17th July for just over 2 weeks so will pop down and see you, we need to talk about Promapping the RHD GP including softening the Traction control cut in, can you send me a PM with details and costs of both items.

·
Registered
460 Posts

yes JCW combined with an ITG or GTT element is a very good set up as batou said just junk the electronics and leave the flap open

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What is the purpose of the 380cc injectors? Where and how does that play a part?

Also bit off topic but...why would upgraded spark plugs make that much of a difference, arent sparks purely used for the ignition of the engine on first start up.

·
Registered
460 Posts
IAT is measured after the air has been through the throttle body, the supercharger, the intercooler and the hot alloy horns, its not a great measure of an air filter.

Maybe you could look at flow rates and logging the temps as they leave the airbox?

I may free up a channel on my logger and do some tests.
well lend you our m7 box off our cooper s if you up for testing, as i think a 3rd party would leave the results more open and free of any mines better than yours, and it would offer the base line of just one car as our cooper s will be different from yours

·
Registered
544 Posts
Interesting in our tests the GTT Cold Ram has measurably lower pressure drop than a performance panel filter.
Taking data off the T Map is not alot of good for this test ,as far too many things to cloud/distort results plus is after the SC.
You could take data off the upstream map sensor (Dave :cool:), which will give resultant pressure loss of ...air box+air cleaner+ induction hose+ throttle body+ and the black plastic plenum. Or if you want to test airfilter and airbox ONLY :cool:,then take a 90 degree take off from just after the airfilter then test on the road at WOT and monitor pressure drop on a vacuum guage (nanometer) below atmospheric. Must be at 90 deg as you want static pressure readings not dynamic pressure.
This test is the only accurate way as its actual conditions on the road (very important as the flow at the base of windsreen helps flow to the filter) and other restictions cannot distort the data.
This is how we tested it in our thread of 3 years ago.
Agreed it needs to be insulated to avoid hot air entering, I believe the GTT Cold Ram kit is the only one double insulated on the hot inboard face using a twin skin system. GTT Cold Ram is also unique in having a true 360 degree rolled edge Rampipe (machined from a solid 4.5 " billet of alloy) mounted inside the filter, this prevent currents in the flow as it enters the bellmouth.
As with the intercooler you want minimal pressure drop COMBINED WITH lowest intake/charge temp. 0.5 psi here and 0.5psi there soon adds up, and the SC will not just compensate for this loss. A turbo will do (if you know that your doing when plumbing the actuator).
Roland: in your opinion is there any benefit is sealing the GTT CAI top to improve the seal in a similar way to ALTA version 2?

I'm not convinced my GTT CAI seal perfectly to the bonnet lining :rolleyes:

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
What is the purpose of the 380cc injectors? Where and how does that play a part?

Also bit off topic but...why would upgraded spark plugs make that much of a difference, arent sparks purely used for the ignition of the engine on first start up.
Increases maximum fuel flow and reduces everyday load on the injectors keeping them cooler. Required for a JCW? No but its adding that extra safety margin to cope with bad fuel and partly blocked injectors maybe.

Uprated or cooler iridium plugs just give you better life and are much tougher for extreme conditions. Last think you want is a melted plug when its 35degrees C outside and you are flooring it away from some lights with 70-80degrees intake temps. :)

JCW is alllll about keeping it reliable for warranty.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts