MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Can you please let me know how many miles you can get to a tank ?

Ie has my 2002 Cooper S a few months now and it drinks the same as my 1999 Subaru Impreza Turbo !! Surely this cant be right ????

Im getting about 210 miles from a tank (That's normal driving and not being to heavy footed)

Please let me know what you guys get, Please be sure to tell me your model and miles to a tank so i can do a like for like

Cheers big ears

ROB

·
Uranus is composed of gas
3,507 Posts
My '05 S got 300 miles to a tank (but I think you Brits calculate your mileage differently), which came out to ~23 mpg.

My '06 S JCW got 290 per tank if I drove it like a grandma. 275 if I drove it like I stole it (which was most of the time).

Hope you didn't buy your S thinking it got great mileage. These cars are fantastic, but they're not exactly fuel efficient.

·
Now Aero Kitted!
330 Posts
hi mate
If you drive with a little weight in your right foot (!) then I'm afraid you're gonna get approx 220 - 50 per tank, I found that using super unleaded in creased that by about another 20 or so to the tank. Sometimes a remap by someone like GTT will not only improve performance but also miles (and smiles) to the gallon. in my experience the MK2 S is a LOT better on fuel on average 35 - 38 to the gallon. hope this is of some help.
incidently if you're in Essex pop along to one of our meets, look on essexmini2.com
all the best
Den

·
52 Cooper S
107 Posts
I have a 2002 cooper S and i get about 220-250 to a tank also. Shell Vpower adds a little more i think, but as above if i'm heavy with the right foot it drinks a lot more than that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all your replies

Seems like im a bit under everone else but i might treat myself to the more expensive unleaded !

Rob

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hmm. I don't drive like miss Daisy is in the back and I'm averaging 36.6 over the last 3 tanks. Mostly motorway and cruiing at 75-85 plus the occasional "hoon" Maybe I'm just lucky.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi i get 250-280 maybe up to 300 miles in my 03 mini cooper s. I use shell v-power unleaded as i get so many more miles out of the car instead of normal unleaded. I have to fill up every 6 days due to using my car for my job. I love the cooper s but it certainly isnt fuel friendly!!! x

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm. I don't drive like miss Daisy is in the back and I'm averaging 36.6 over the last 3 tanks. Mostly motorway and cruiing at 75-85 plus the occasional "hoon" Maybe I'm just lucky.

iS YOURS A COOPER S ??

·
Registered
418 Posts
When I had a R53 MCS I used to get around 260-280 miles on a tank

Best I ever had on a tank was 350 miles

Worst I ever managed on a tank was 120 miles

On R56 MCS (the new one)

Best I ever had on a tank was 520 miles
Worst I ever had was 250 miles
Average at the moment is 380-400 miles

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I had a R53 MCS I used to get around 260-280 miles on a tank

Best I ever had on a tank was 350 miles

Worst I ever managed on a tank was 120 miles

On R56 MCS (the new one)

Best I ever had on a tank was 520 miles
Worst I ever had was 250 miles
Average at the moment is 380-400 miles
Thanks for that info, one more question how does this R50, 53, 56 business work ???

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
Thanks for that info, one more question how does this R50, 53, 56 business work ???
R53s are the old new style MCSs (i.e. 52 plate through to 56 plate), and R56s are the new new style (so 56plate to now). R56s do away with the supercharger (turbo instead), some have stop start and they across the board are more fuel efficient (although some also do say less fun - but that's a different thread :D)

As for MPG - what kind of driving are you doing? If I get through a tank just driving around London I get v low 20s (or 220 miles). Best tank I've had was on a long drive up to Scotland (350 miles).

If you really want to know whether your car has a fuel guzzling problem try this. Fill up, reset your trip meter and then drive at least 50-100 miles somewhere on the motorway at around 70mph. (obviously good to coincide this with the need to go somewhere 50-100 miles away :) ). Fill up again and work out how many gallons you've used for how many miles you went. It's 4.55 litres to the gallon. Hey presto. If the answer is less than 30, you have a problem!

·
Waiting for Works Clubman
338 Posts
I have an 02 plate R52 MINI Cooper S. I get 300 miles to the tank; always have, pretty much right from new. I've done well over 100k in it, and it's been 300 miles between fill-ups 90% of the time. That's from a mix of M/way (or DCway) driving and town driving. If it's nothing but town driving, it's usually about 260-270 miles between fills - and maybe as low as 250 miles. Once or twice I've managed to nurse 320 out of it.

But I cant remember *ever* getting less than 250 miles from a full tank.

Of course, a lot of these guys say that they're not heavy footed, yet when I've met up with other MINI2ers, they always seem to drive a lot quicker than me.

·
oooh ... pagers!
7,799 Posts
i average about 350 a tank in my 06 MCS. i don't claim to drive it like i stole it, though ... :eek:

best i ever had on a tank was 398. i was really scared near the end that i was going to run out of fuel before the next services area ... and that was across 2 mountain ranges where i could do a fair amount of downhill coasting. :D i think the car was about as close to empty as possible when i finally found a gas station.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks For All Yor Replies Guys And Girls !!!!:)

·
clubMINI Master
992 Posts
Wow,

I use V Power and I drive my, completely unmodded, MINI's hard, I don't use the air con much and I am pretty good on the brakes. But

MY 03 S gets on average around 570 kms out of a tank ...approx 350miles
MY 07 S Cabrio gets around 500 kms out of a tank on a good day with a hill ...approx 300 miles!

·
The Red Fox
4,979 Posts
Beat THAT!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Im regularly getting between 370-390 miles on a tank.

Standard R53 JCW MCS and using V-Power (Alright) and Tesco 99 RON (Get LOADS of miles out of it)

What can I say...Im a legend! :D:D:cool:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts