MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
MINI2 Freak
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

finally got back on the site after a months absence and I finally have J3T - my cosmos black cooper. Anyway, I'm having white lights fitted (if they ever arrive from Germany!) and my dealer has given me these red reflectors which he says have to be on the back of the car when it eventually goes through it's MOT. Have any of you that have white lights been given these little strip reflectors and if so do any of you know where they go??

Jon:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
allowed to flout the Law ?

BruceK said:
Some pictures KarmanS took show the reflector solution offered by MINI when white or clear rear lenses are used . . . Can't say as to whether this approach will be meet your local lighting regulations though.
In this case I doubt it Bruce?

When J3T`s Dealer advises him that the Ministry Of Transport (MOT) Test will require his MINI to have the separate red rear reflectors, he appears to be saying "in 3 years time you`ll have to comply with the Law, but meanwhile you can flout it"!

I`d be interested to know why the BMW Dealer doesn`t feel compelled to ensure that J3T`s MINI complies with the vehicle lighting regulations upon completion of their work, when it leaves their workshop?

The KarmanS pictures clearly indicate a proper (Legal!)solution` whereas J3T appears to have been supplied with a couple of self-fit reflector strips!

How convenient is that then?

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick here?

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
I was planning on putting red reflectors on my mudflaps but my dealer won't let me have the clear lenses until the proper BMW ones arrive :mad:

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Yeah, is that a standard bumper with holes cut in or what:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Indecisive MINI Owner
473 Posts
LMB said:
Look brilliant though:)

Goes really well the colour of the car.
Thanks for the compliment.

No I didn't pay for the new bumper, it's the old one with new reflectors set in it, but it looks damn good if you ask me, gives the bumper a totally new look.

They did everything at the garage too, for a couple of hundred £'s, but I didn't have the time or guts to cut up my MINI :)

Paul, I don't know why I blurred the numberplate, as there's photos all over the site of my car :D

·
MINI2 Freak
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, I thought that was what MINI wanted to do with them but I have to say I am not happy about the position. I will get the white lights fitted and deal with the reflectors at a later date if they will let me!!!

Jon, did your dealer have to order your lights?? if so how long did it take?? The lights that originally turned up were from germany but one of them was cracked so they sent them back to be replaced and that was two weeks ago now!

Jon

·
Amiga 500 to PS3 20 Years
4,636 Posts
Well I'm not fitting the reflectors. I personally think they ruin the car.

All I'll do is come MOT time stick a couple of reflectors on the bumper with blue-tac. After I leave the testing station I'll take them off again.

The lights have reflectors in them but they're white just because our (silly) laws say they have to be red you have to hack apart your rear bumper.

Well I say who cares they both reflect light don't they?

·
Indecisive MINI Owner
473 Posts
Yeah, the dealer ordered the lights, and it took about a month from Germany to get them.

Ginge, thanks for your input ;)

·
4,636 Posts
Yeah sorry bout that I'm on nites at the mo' so I'm a bit stressed.

Seriously though why remove all the red lights off the back of your car only to add red reflectors. Defeats the object of the exercise.

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
J3T said:
I will get the white lights fitted and deal with the reflectors at a later date if they will let me!!!
I have been waiting over two months now for my clear lenses, me dealer told me that he had everything except the 'legal requirement' reflectors. He wouldn't let me have them otherwise..

:mad:

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
The Alfa 147 has similar reflectors built into the Bumper just like the MINI:) :)

·
4,636 Posts
Well JCW's didn't want to cut holes in my bumper without my permission and BMW hadn't supplied the reflectors.

I just said I'd find some stick on reflectors and fit them myself.

Only problem is I can't fit the 3rd brake light coz you have to take the rear wing off. It looks like it's poppered on but I'm worried if you unpop it you'll need new poppers to refit.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I used to have clear lenses on my yellow mini one. As I decided they didn't look right on yellow, I swapped them over for the originals and gave them back to my dealer. Why can't you just swap the lights over come MOT time, then swap them back afterwards.

·
4,636 Posts
Erm. From experience of fitting the clusters myself they are an absolute arse to fit.

If they were just held in with the bolt as it appears it would be ok but they are also held in with two spring clips. You can only just get your hands through the gap to release the clips (on the furthest side of the cluster) one at a time (scraping your knuckles at the same time).

Inevitably once you release one and then go to release the second the first one pops back in.

What's annoying is there is no point in the spring clips being there. With the bolt done up the clusters are quite secure. A bit of overkill on BMW's part methinks.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts