MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've just bought a R56 Mini Cooper. I have been told that the Cambelt Cover is leaking oil due to the seal being worn.

Does this need repairing right away, and any advice of how much this should cost to repair? I always feel, as a woman I get charged more at garages.

I don't know if this is a job that need repairing right away, or if these anything I can do to stop it getting any worse for now.

Thank you :)

·
Registered
6,667 Posts
good gar
That needs fixing straight away.

A good garage does not charge more if they think you know less about cars.
good garage will when a car is in bits give the customer options on anything that while they are in there and its a part to address any other issues that might be lurking. nothing worse than ignorant garage seeing a issue and wont say nothing or do nothing as soon it will be back and can charge another load of labour when could of replaced a part as part of the first job,, and use the excuse that the owner only wanted first issue sorting,
getting back to oil leak from cambelt cover i take it you have a mini diesel between 2006-pre march 2010 1,6 cooper d or is it petrol one if petrol they dont have cam belts its a chain

·
Registered
6,667 Posts
Yes, it's a 57 plate. I've now booked it in to get it repaired.

Thanks for the advice
if its diesel and oil leaks from cam seals or crank seals would do the timing belt and water pump at same time, if not done within past 80k as water pump dont tend to last much past this,, thats how i would approach it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes a timing chain .not a belt. The cover is on the passenger side and can be removed seperatly from the valve cover. So it would use a separate basket .should be a pretty easy fix. If you know someone that would do it for you on the cheap. If the oil is not leaking so much as to cover the engine and need topping off frequently. Than it's probably not an emergency.

But like one person said it it is leaking around the cam shaft seals than I would get it done and while that is being done have them checkout the timing chain and guides and the tensioner.
Hope this helps

1 - 11 of 11 Posts