MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Mini Nut
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In comparing two camshafts what are the differences to look for apart from build quality. I understand the whole differnce between cast cams, steel billet and hardening or nitriding processes.

Can someone explain the on the road fiffernce between

Inlet - Duration 264°
Exhaust - Duration 272°

or

Inlet - 256 degrees
Exhaust -248 degrees

Cheers

·
Registered
41 Posts
There are BOOKs on Cams... and Books .. and books..LOL
There are a LOT of things to consider!! ICL/ LSA/ overlap... blah blah..
To help.. usually the MORE duration on intake, the more loss on low end and gain on top end!! Howmuch loss and gain?? you need the other specs!! Or ask around on the cam you are running and see if others like them. No help, huh??

Just me.......................................

Thumper

·
Registered
41 Posts
As with all mods... it is WHERE you want to end up!! Slow drives thru the countyside, speeding along the M ( LOL, just had too!!) any Camahsft over stock ( at this point) will cost you low end.... "how much you say??" Depends... is the answer!! LOL see where this is going??

Me?? the lowend loss has to be a lot befor I have consern!! I will just rev a bit higher on starts and run the gears just a bit higher on normal shifts. Just to have the power in the mid and topend!! As far as HOW Much of either.. takes a dyno and that cam and your combo... cool?? Just think, loss of low end with larger duration!! cool??

Just me..................................

Thumper

1 - 4 of 4 Posts