MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
13,571 Posts
never tried it but i would guess bmw would not want to many changed parts between to 1.6 displacement and 2.0 ie piston crown may well be how they alter the CC like they do on prince 1.4 and 1,6 its the shape of piston that alters the CC, i would find one local and take your old head with you compare them, would make sense for bmw to keep the head and block the same for cost

· Registered
13,571 Posts
below in pic of timing chain instructions on 2.0 n47

Attachments

· Registered
13,571 Posts
dont know to be honest i have avoided those n47 diesels for many years now mainly had dealings with the 2.0 and would say its dam nasty proper pain in arse to put right, as are most of bmw new tech engines made to be light and not to last it would seem. the pic above was on bmw list as my software dont want to find mini n47 and the 1.6 it deffo dont,

· Registered
13,571 Posts
so check head bolts is same, check head gasket, check inlet exhaust valves then camshafts that might if all match up work, fairly sure the block and castings are same as just would not make sense to design a whole new castings just to loose 200cc easy to do that within the piston ie move pin down bore or hallow out piston etc, another thing to match up pistons see what the measurements are might need call engine builder to confirm that

· Registered
13,571 Posts
ironically the 1.6 was prob designed to be lower emissions, but still the weight was the same less power just as heavy dont work out sums for power to weight etc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.