MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can 05 Mini retrofit Interior color dash?
I have a HB/B MCS on order and i got to put the interior color dash as option and dealer said it's too late to change it now :(

·
Cross-Country Roadfinder
120 Posts
Heck yeah!
I have an '02 MC, and the only one in the world with a *BRG* dash! :)
When i was over at dealer's recently, I saw the colored dash, and went up to parts. They stated that it was only available in (a) blue, Chili Red, and Yellow.
So, I took my dash off, gave it to my local body shop, and for much cheaper than you could order the parts,got 'em all painted.
Looks absol-****in'-lutely great.
(I hope to get a gallery up soon...)

Me.

·
Another Happy Owner
204 Posts
foxtrotxray said:
Heck yeah!
I have an '02 MC, and the only one in the world with a *BRG* dash! :)
... (I hope to get a gallery up soon...)

Me.
That sounds sWeeeet!!
PM me when you get your gallery up! id love to see it!
better yet, post it in a thread so we can all drool!!

·
Cross-Country Roadfinder
120 Posts
I could, sure. There's a DIY FAQ on it (I think) that I followed, and although it wasn't exact, it did help tremendously. Also note that I have an '02. Despite the differences in the dash - '05 Mini's have a 3-part dash. Earlier models have a 5-part. The two far-end pieces in the '05's are cojoined with the next-in pieces - the two models are interchangeable. At least as far as putting an '05 Dash on an earlier.

Now, I didn't do anythign with the '05 dash, other than admire it, and then find out that they're not made in BRG. :( But, actually, I shouldn't complain, because it was much, much cheaper just getting my current dash painted, rather than buying pre-painted parts...

I'm going out to get pics now, I'll post 'em in about an hour. :)

Me.

·
Cross-Country Roadfinder
120 Posts
Allrighty.. Two pics. Unfortunately, the sun wasn't fully out, so the color may be slightly off. (IMHO, however, the pics came out really nice.) The HU usually has an orange, matching display (matches the dash), however, I was testing with colors, so that's why it's the completely unmatching cyan. :) And also yes, that's 93,595 miles. Pic #1 was taken mostly in sunlight, #2 was taken in shadow.
[Edit: Sorry. #2 is mostly in sun, #1 is in shadow.]

Me.

Attachments

·
Cross-Country Roadfinder
120 Posts
Let'see.. Dash removal notes:
The DIY FAQ is mostly good, some things that may/may not be mentioned:

1. The section behind the steering wheel - It does require you to remove the Tach. There's a rubber skirt attached to this piece, with a small loop of it going under the Tach. (This keeps stuff from falling behind there, while letting the steering wheel be adjusted for the driver. Make sure to turn off the key before unplugging the Tach! Better be safe than sorry - a replacement costs around $300(USD). Once you got the Tach removed, it just slips off.
  2. The piece around the Speedo/Nav is pretty simple - however, despite appearances, it is NOT the whole thing - It's only the bottom, dash-colored half. (Makes sense, don't it?) However, the top of it is held in by little snap-clips. You may need a small, flat-head screwdriver to push down on them after removing the screws from the bottom. (Reinstalling is a snap - literally.)
  3. The airbag cover is the hardest part. For this, you *DO* need to remove the whole dash top cover. To remove the cover, there are two snap panels on either side of the dash, facing outwards to the doors. (Open the doors, look towards the front of the car. There they are.) Snap these off, there are two screws holding the corners of the cover down. Take these out. Save them. The dash cover should be loose, pull forward and up. It should, with a little finaking, come out. Got it? Good. Now, time to mess with the airbag cover The FAQ recommends disconnecting the battery. You can if you want, I didn't, since you aren't actually messing with any electronics. I just left the key off. Anyways, there's a flat metal plate attached to the top of the dash. I understand that it could be rivited or screwed in. Mine was rivited, and didn't have the tools to remove the rivets, so I worked around it. Under the plate, you'll see a metal bar, about 5 inchest long, fastened to the dash with two hex-nut screws, with two fabric bands attached to it. (This is the device that keeps the cover from smashing into the passenger's face when the airbag deploys. The bar is fixed, the cover is attached to the bar with the fabric bands.) You must remove this bar and slip the fabric bands from it. This was the hardest part for me, because I couldn't cleanly remove the top plate. Once the bar's out, you can proceed removing the cover. Screw on the bottom (if you're US, you'll have to open the glove box. If you're UK, I think you can pop down the cover under the wheel.) There are then two screws on TOP, facing the passenger. Remove all of them, save all of them. Then work the cover out, gently. The top section (where the screws were) has to go under a dash support bar, so pull the bottom out first, then arc it up while pulling down, and it should slide free. That paper bag you have in there is not a special liquer store - it's the airbag. Don't taunt it. :) For putting it all back, do everything in reverse. And unlike me, don't DROP your 11mm socket into your dash. I still haven't found it.
You can drive around town with no dash - I did for the week it took the body shop to paint it. It doesn't affect anything, other than the car's good looks. :) But it's worth it. I also recommend getting them ALL done at once, as the body shop pointed out to me that different mixes of the paint may vary slightly, but enough to where you would notice a difference between panels.

Uhm.. Oh yeah. Dust particlaes on it show up alot better than the standard dash options. So you gotta keep it clean. :)

Cheers!
Me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
That looks great! :)

I was thinking of having mine done in gloss black but i'm worried it will look a bit boring compaired to the Silver it is now.

Out of interest has anybody got any pictures of a dash done in Black?

·
Cross-Country Roadfinder
120 Posts
all-black said:
That looks great! :)
I was thinking of having mine done in gloss black but i'm worried it will look a bit boring compaired to the Silver it is now.
Out of interest has anybody got any pictures of a dash done in Black?
Funny you should say that. My test piece I had done (so they could see *IF* they could do it) was done in a gloss black. Now, it's not the whole dash, but it did look good. So good that I almost toyed with getting it all done up in black..

Me.

·
Registered
381 Posts
How much does the dealer charge for a pre-painted dash?

How much did it cost to get yours painted ?

·
Cross-Country Roadfinder
120 Posts
I'm not sure exactly how much it was all together (because they didn't have my color.) However, I *DO* know that for me, a prepainted corner of the das was $112 (USD).

..The whole thing cost me $275(USD), so I'm pretty sure I made out...

Me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts