MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I am very confused and really need your advice.

I have a 51 mini one and about two months ago my key remote wouldnt work and I had to use the key to get into the car. At the same time, my right indicator started flickering really quickly when I indicated to go right. It only happens on my right indicator.

Cut a long story short but I took it into the local dealership and they said they couldnt find any electrical faults and that my car probably needed a new BC1 unit.

I had the work done but when they drove my car back to my workplace after doing the work, they found that my right indicator was still flickering quickly. I kicked up a right stink asking why had I paid nearly £500 for something that hadnt fixed the problem.

They took my car back into the garage and replaced the right indicator bulb (as apparently it needed replacing!!) and agreed to take out the new BC1 unit and then put my old one back in, reset the old BC1 unit and since then, my key remote has been working and my indicator has gone back to flickering in the normal way...... until today................

I have just been on the motorway, indicated to go into the right hand lane and the indicator has started flickering really quickly again......

I am wanting to ignore it and hope that perhaps my car was having a bad day - but I am starting to think that I might need that new BC1 unit after all!!

Forgot to say as well, that after they put my old BC1 unit back in, I noticed that my right sidelight (which is housed in the same spot as the right indicator) wasnt working. I wondered if they had not wired the sidelight back in when they replaced the indicator bulb? So last week, I took my car back in to get the sidelight fixed. They said that the bulb had gone and I was hoping that by them replacing the bulb, the sidelight would work and as the right indicator had worked fine since the BC1 reset, I thought that would be the end of my electric problems.

How naive of me!

So, could my indicator now flashing quickly again have anything to do with the fact that they replaced the sidelight bulb last week? Might this have confused the BC1 unit (which had been reset and was working fine up until today)

or is the sidelight issue a red herring

and I just needed that new BC1 unit all along? It seems strange that it was the right sidelight plus the right indicator that had problems (I understand that the BC1 unit controls the electrics on the right of the car, is that right?)

I really dont want to pay nearly £500 for a new BC1 unit that might not fix the problem.

If it isnt the BC1 unit, what else could possibly be causing the indicator to flash really quickly? Like I say, the indicator was replaced at the same time as my old BC1 unit was put back in the car so I dont think it is the bulb again

Any advice much appreciated!! :smile:
Jane

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
My Mar 02 MINI One was randomly unlocking itself a while back, it was due to lack of the plastic water shield cover fitted on the later BC1, drying it out & fitting the cover cured the problem. The BC1 can cause many electrical faults if even a drip of water enters it, so this may be your problem on a 2001 Mini if it does not have the later cover fitted.(BMW part no. 61356942512 only about £2) However if left a long time the BC1 connectors can corrode and then a new BC1 is needed to correct the random faults.............not cheap!
You can see the BC1 behind the drivers footwell side panel, if you shine a torch in by the bonnet pull lever, (when held open), you can see the black plastic cover (or connectors if cover not fitted).
Search this previous thread for more details :-
http://www.mini2.com/forum/faults-fixes/133001-my-mini-alergic-wet.html

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for your help. I will try and take a look at the weekend and see if I can see whether it has a cover. I suspect it doesn't....... from what you say and what the other thread you attached says, it looks likely that I have no choice but to get a new BC1 but I am concerned as to whether it will solve the problem (because they did replace the BC1 and the problem remained which is why they took the new BC1 out and put my old one back and re-programmed it which seemed to work until today .......:()

·
Registered
1 Posts
bc1 problems..

I have a mini on 04 reg.. and i have exactly the same problem with my right indicator..

I will indicate to turn right and the indicator will flash really fast then stop flashing..

My left indicator doesn't even waork at all. and i have been told only mini can sort this problem with a brand new bc1 which has to coded and installed 2 the car and its around £900 including labour. Is there any other way or sorting this annoying problem??

·
Registered
5,861 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Mar 02 MINI One was randomly unlocking itself a while back, it was due to lack of the plastic water shield cover fitted on the later BC1, drying it out & fitting the cover cured the problem.
Hi, I was having very similar problems on a 2004 Mini One. Turning lights staying on (in the dashboard only), car randomly unlocking itself, car radio turning on and off by itself on every second bump, etc. The kids were giggling that pixie dust must have creeped in through the exhaust pipe or something. We tried changing the battery and even the driver's side electric lock, to no avail.

Before coughing up 900+ euros for a new BC1 unit (car computer), I decided to do a bit of research on the internet and ran into this forum. Thank you all who posted on this issue, it helped me tons!

After consulting this thread I checked the CD changer plugs in the trunk. They were fine, however I taped them anyway to be on the safe side.

After that I inspected the BC1 unit below the front-right A-pillar and sure enough, there was moisture in the furry tape that covers the harnesses leading into the car computer. It seems that water trickles down the wire harness and even climbs back up through capillary action.

I think I fixed it: I used plastic bags, insulating tape, some of this new Sugru stuff (sugru.com) and lots of patience. I combined all of this to make plastic hoodies for each of the 4 plugs connecting to the BC1 unit. After drenching the plugs in WD-40 to absorb the moisture, that is.

I described what I did with text and pictures here:

bit.ly/
PVWgZs

(Sorry for mangling the address, it won't let me post it otherwise 'cause I'm a newb on this forum. You'll have to reassemble it if you wish to see the pictures of the waterproofing hoodies for the BC1 plugs)

The posted message is in greek, however the photos may be useful to some of you. The Sugru was used in order to form a rubber plug within the harness cable bundle, so that moisture won't creep in.

Hope someone finds this helpful. The car has been running with no problems for 2 days now, if it continues without problems for a month I'll declare the "pixie dust" issue closed. :p

P.S. My Mini actually had that plastic cap on top of the BC1 unit (which I think was added in later Mini One models), however it did not seem to provide adequate waterproofing. The water seems to have been creeping up the wire harnesses riding on that awful furry tape through capillary action (as I mentioned above).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Weird electrical problem

I am hoping someone might help me with my 2005 Mini Cooper which I used to love until now!

Cut a long story short I left the back of the sunroof open over night and we got a huge rain storm and I found the foot well on the driver side with about 1" of water. I tried getting it out but it is still damp. I have had the car in the garage with a heater trying to dry it out.

When the car is parked after about one hour the brake light and rear lights, dashboard lights all come on, I disconnect the battery and connect it again to drive the car.

I am not quite sure what to do next and not sure if the two events are related. Any advice would be muchly appreciated.

Stephen:)

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
On a USA LHD Mini the BC1 is located in the passenger footwell (ie. drivers UK RHD), if this footwell has also got wet/damp the cables/connectors leading to the BC1 module are also likely to have got wet........this is what usually causes the problems you describe as the damp shorts out the connections for the BUS network wiring system sending signals to the wrong components. Worth following instructions in my link below to dry out the connectors and module perhaps carefully with a hairdryer and see if it cures the problems:
The BC1 (Body Control Unit) - Forums

·
Registered
1 Posts
I Am Having problems With My Mini One 2008 model 1.4
My ABS And My Screen Wash warning lights on Dash Keep coming on, actually on all Time, Local Garage cant Find Fault with ABS Is There any chance this could be common fault and How Do I stop this .
Garage Thinks ABS could be coinciding problem with screen wash warning

1 - 9 of 9 Posts