MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
Depends what you mean by problems.
If you take out the original speakers, you won't be able to hear the stereo any more - is that a problem? ;)

I suggest you install new speakers!
The rear speakers are standard shape 6x9.
For the front speakers, I bought adaptors from MikeyTheMini to simplify the job.

NOTE: If you have the Harman Kardon upgraded system, it is NOT a good idea to replace the speakers unless you are also replacing the amp.

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
Front speakers take about an hour to replace, only problem for me was the connector was difffernet, so I had to cut them off and pop on some different ones. Using a speaker adaptor on the fronts lets you fit 16cm speakers instead of the standard cars 13cm.... very well worth it, transforms the noise.

Unless your a bit brave, leave the rears to a professional. I did it myself but i'm not easily scared off a project.Takes about 3 hours first time out. Bound to break at least one of the little plastic poppers that holds the plastic nterior panels on.

Look in the DIY section for guides on how to do all this.

·
MINI2 lurker
613 Posts
MikeyThemini also does little speaker plug adaptors so that you dont hvae to cut the original wires off and in the future can easily replace the oem ones if required. Definitely get some 16.5 cm pods from him though as this really opens up options for the larger, better components.

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
As Mini_blake says I have the connectors & I keep spare pop clips for the rear panels cos they always break
See my diy guide
If you are doing it - apply sound proofing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.