MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an ongoing issue with my dealership where i bought a 2003 MCS, initially it looked like it had not had a recent service. They have now produced paperwork showing an oil service just 400 miles ago (before i purchased the car)

Oddly this service does not appear on the MINI UK database, which they say is quite normal as there is a delay from when the service happens (April) till when it appears on the database. Also unfortunately there technician also stamped the book with the wrong mileage and date, AND looks as if they forgot to reset the service indicator as it tells me i only have 6k to go till next service...

Personally i'm suspicious as hell that this has been done - As it was just an oil service is there anything i can look at to confirm is has been done physically. I guess after so few miles (now 500ish) oil should look clean, but is there anything that would show signs of very recent attention.

TIA

Dean.

·
MINI2 Veteran
701 Posts
I have an ongoing issue with my dealership where i bought a 2003 MCS, initially it looked like it had not had a recent service. They have now produced paperwork showing an oil service just 400 miles ago (before i purchased the car)

Oddly this service does not appear on the MINI UK database, which they say is quite normal as there is a delay from when the service happens (April) till when it appears on the database. Also unfortunately there technician also stamped the book with the wrong mileage and date, AND looks as if they forgot to reset the service indicator as it tells me i only have 6k to go till next service...

Personally i'm suspicious as hell that this has been done - As it was just an oil service is there anything i can look at to confirm is has been done physically. I guess after so few miles (now 500ish) oil should look clean, but is there anything that would show signs of very recent attention.

Dean.
The oil service is basic to be honest with you. I would check the oil, see if its mingin. If it is, demand that the service is carried out.

Some dealers dont actually do the service, and just reset the counter. But sometimes the stamp is worth more than the service itself if u know what I mean.

I would ask for full info, and the tick off sheet for when the service was done, if they refuse. Advise the dealer that mini will be informed, and you will be requiring another service if they can not provide sufficient proof.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've since found out from my man at BMW that the car still has TLC until August this year, and no service has been recorded since a brake one in 2006.

I shall pull the dipstick tonight and have a look :confused:

Dean.

·
MINI2 Veteran
701 Posts
I've since found out from my man at BMW that the car still has TLC until August this year, and no service has been recorded since a brake one in 2006.

I shall pull the dipstick tonight and have a look :confused:
Dean.
Watch whatcha doing with that dipstick lol!

Umm, yer, pull it and have a look what the oil is like. - Get on top of the tlc thing, make sure u get every service!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
have you though about contacting the previous owner and asking when it was last serviced.?
Yep - still waiting for log book unfortunately

When we picked up they car the forgot to give me the new owner supplement until a week later, so assume that is when they sent off the bit to DVLA, so hoping to see it real soon.

Dean.

·
Cleaning Whore
356 Posts
put dipstick in, take it out, rub the oil off the dipstick into your hand, then see how see thru it is. If its black it has not been serviced recenty, if its a golden sort of colour it has been!. You will need to rub in your fingers though and not just look as it will all look black....

take a lead off the plug take plug out see how clean plug is is also another way to look....

also take top of air-box off and take a look inside, it should be nice and yellow :) (the panel filter) lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
put dipstick in, take it out, rub the oil off the dipstick into your hand, then see how see thru it is. If its black it has not been serviced recenty, if its a golden sort of colour it has been!. You will need to rub in your fingers though and not just look as it will all look black....

take a lead off the plug take plug out see how clean plug is is also another way to look....

also take top of air-box off and take a look inside, it should be nice and yellow :) (the panel filter) lol
Thanks - how does this colour look to you.

A bit out of focus - sorry

Is it Golden brown ?

Dean.

·
XR3i / JCW MCS
543 Posts
imho thats not too bad, doesn't look exactly brand new but it's been changed or had a major top up fairly recently

·
MINI2 Veteran
701 Posts
Remember, they use long life oil in the minis. If you saw what it looked like when it went in, you would be after an oil service.

Have the oil replaced in the next couple of months me thinks.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
funny i rang my dealer today about this exact same problem

i could of swore that they had just stamped the book to say it had been serviced, as the oil was as black as the ace of spades!! I rang them and asked how much an oil change would be, as i was worried as the oil was really really black, he said that its fully synthetic and after a few miles down the road it would really be "as black as your boot!"

So he said that it didnt need done

1 - 11 of 11 Posts