MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 spec Cooper with chilli pack, the insurance sompany are asking me for the alarm spec, does anyone know?

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
The alarm is Thatcham Category 1 :)
It is not included in the Chilli Pack, but I take it you have specced it as an option?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Well, there's only one official MINI alarm, so if your insurers don't know what it is then there's not much hope for them... :(

The alarm is indeed a pay for option on a Cooper, so unless you specced and paid for it you won't have one.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
StevePSB said:
Well, there's only one official MINI alarm, so if your insurers don't know what it is then there's not much hope for them... :(

The alarm is indeed a pay for option on a Cooper, so unless you specced and paid for it you won't have one.
My insurance company as me exactly the same question but at that time (Jan 02) Mini Cooper's were pretty rare. I'd have thought they'd know by now.:confused:

·
Mini Design Philosopher
1,028 Posts
I attempted to 'seek' a quote recently for a Cooper, from Morethan insurance, and was asked for the manufacturer of the fitted immobiliser. Of course me being just silly I said BMW Mini. Apparently this wasn't adequate information for them - even the fact it was thatcham cat 2 approved wasn't good enough either. I'd love to quote who does make the immobiliser, e.g. bosch XYZ or whatever but I can't. Later Morethan concluded they couldn't give me a quote since the car wasn't fitted with an alarm. I take delivery in four weeks, and I do hope other insurance companies aren't so damn stupid.

I've since added the alarm to my spec.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
If you have the red flashing light at the end of the stalk then you have a Thatcham CAT1.

If you do not have the light then you have the Thatcham CAT2 ;)

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
zoooooom said:
If you have the red flashing light at the end of the stalk then you have a Thatcham CAT1.

If you do not have the light then you have the Thatcham CAT2 ;)

Didn't know you could have the alarm as CAt 2?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
interceptor said:
I don't understand? :(
Each category is for a different type of security, NOT in order. So CAT 2 is an immobiliser
and CAT 1 is a combined alarm and immobiliser. All UK Minis are CAT 2 with S's CAT 1.
You can upgrade CAT 2 to CAT 1 as an option on One's, D's and Cooper's. About time
they all came with CAT 1 as standard, they are all desirable cars. CAT 5 should be offered
as an option, I think that is the one that uses satellite tracking and any unauthorised
movement the owner is phoned and if they give authorisation a mega-microwave gun in
orbit is directed at the car to fry the crims brains :eek:. Or did I make the last bit up :D .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.