MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Mini Lover
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The reason I ask is because I have just had my windows tinted front and back, and I knew before doing it that getting the front done was illegal but hey ho for the extra £30 to have the fronts done I might aswell. I got nothing to lose (only £30).

Reason I ask if the police can make you wind UP your windows is because I have been told that if you get pulled, wind down your windows and they cannot physically make you wind them back up, nor can they do it.

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
Your going to look a tit if your sat by the side of the road with you windows down in the rain lol!? I've never understood tints, they look very chav imo.

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
This is why I'm against front tints:

How does excessively tinted glass affect road safety?
It restricts the driver's vision, especially in dark conditions. This may prevent drivers from seeing other road users or pedestrians. It also prevents other road users and pedestrians from confirming through eye contact that they have been seen.
I like to be able to see that some is actually looking properly, I'm always wary overtaking or approaching them and I shouldn't have to be! Because if there was an accident they have no insurance due to their car not being road legal :angry:

·
Mini Lover
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your going to look a tit if your sat by the side of the road with you windows down in the rain lol!? I've never understood tints, they look very chav imo.
Tints on a corsa yes very chav, but tints on a Mini, a chav couldnt even afford a mini :p

·
Mini Lover
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
P.S my tints on the front drivers & passengers are Light tint, not real dark like some people do.

·
Mini Lover
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Then why are you worrying about the police if they are light enough to be perfectly road legal? ;)
Because the Mini comes with a standard tint to the glass anyway so touching it with even the lightest tint knocks it over the edge :)

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Yes, an officer can make you wind up your window at the side of the road in order to run a light meter test on your tinted windows ;)

If the tint is illegal, you will normally be given a vehicle defect notice. This gives you 14 days to remove the tints, and present your vehicle at your local police station for inspection.

The legal light limit is 70% i.e. your front windows must allow 70% of light through. If the police receive a very low reading from your windows (more like 30%) you would not be allowed to move the vehicle until the tint has been removed.

·
Mini Lover
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers dude.

Sorry to ask a question thats prob been asked a thousand times before! I was just wondering as to where I stand with the law in an event I was to get pulled.

I was a little unsure as to wether to get the front done the other day, but when the company told me for the extra £30 I could get them done I thought I might aswell.

I think the safest thing to do in that event of being pulled would be to let them do what they need to do, and if I have to remove the front tints then so be it! rather do that than have to go to court or even recieve a hefty fine! all for being a rebel! :p

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
i was told when i got my windows tinted that you can now get 3 points for each illegally tinted window, the same as bald tyres

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
As with any vehicle defect like tyres, windows, lights, brakes etc - if the officer deems it dangerous enough, they can give a fixed penalty notice, three points and a fine.

Depends on the officer though, the severity, and your attitude to them ;)

·
Registered
754 Posts
Another thing to bear in mind. If they are illegal and you were unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident, that could be attributed to the tints, then the insurance company could refuse your claim.

Insurance companies will find any small excuse not to payout.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Insurance?

Ignoring the legal angle, I would be more concerned that, if involved in an accident, the insurance company could claim that your car was in an illegal condition, not roadworthy and would fail an MOT and then refuse to cover a claim.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
The reason I ask is because I have just had my windows tinted front and back, and I knew before doing it that getting the front done was illegal but hey ho for the extra £30 to have the fronts done I might aswell. I got nothing to lose (only £30).

only thing you could lose is your life or maybe someone elses.

Why people think they need to tinit front windows which they need to use to be able to drive is beyond me. i mean do you wear sunglasses at night? Of Course you don't as you can;t see anything. And its the same when pulling out of a junction, what if you don;t see that bloke on the bike etc.

In all honesty i hope you do get done for it as its just stupid and unnecessary. Rear windows fine, but fronts, stupid.

·
Mini Lover
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
only thing you could lose is your life or maybe someone elses.

Why people think they need to tinit front windows which they need to use to be able to drive is beyond me. i mean do you wear sunglasses at night? Of Course you don't as you can;t see anything. And its the same when pulling out of a junction, what if you don;t see that bloke on the bike etc.

In all honesty i hope you do get done for it as its just stupid and unnecessary. Rear windows fine, but fronts, stupid.

:D

Sometimes I do wear glasses, if I want EXTRA darkness!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts