MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For any of you have the ProClip mount, can you tell me if it can be installed lower than what is typically shown in photos on the web? I don't like the fact that whatever is attached to it can bar you from access to the area immediately left or right of the HU. I intend to use the unit on the downtube driver's side as low as possible so as not to interfere with anything and to keep it out of view from onlookers as much as possible.... Thanks...

·
Registered
78 Posts
I will warn that if you try to go too low on the downtube, it will not fit as well as near the top. From my experience, getting the edge to clip on the back of the tube kept it holding strong, and that wasn't possible past halfway down (the tube is too wide).

·
Off to the Dealer
161 Posts
When I buy the ProClip mounting assemblies for my Rio Karma and my MCS, I should buy the following, right?

Either the ProClip Center Mount or the ProClip Angle Mount

And then the Standard Holder or the Holder with Tilt Swivel

The Holders then clip onto the Mounts, is that right?

tia,

David

·
Registered
71 Posts
My holder had to be screwed on to the mount with fours screws..........

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can the mount itself (not the holder) be tilted ever so slightly up or down?

I intend to mount the Xact Sirius unit with a magnet attached to the pro clip, but the Xact is a little larger than a mobile phone.

I'm afraid I'll have to go lower on the downtubes, but I don't want it pointing downwards of course.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have the ProClip and came up with a different solution for the holder. Instead of a screwed on holder I purchased a slot holder and crazy glued it to the front of the mount. The slot holder accepts the ubiquitious button on the back of virtually every phone carrying case. In addition, the holder came with two additional "buttons" that could be affixed to the back of any appliance. I just slip my phone/pda/mp3 player/gps into the slot mount and it holds it magnificently. No bouncing or juggling. Nothing to undo to remove. Best of all the holder was under $10.00 at Target. I put another one in my other car and it has made made the accessories truly car to car portable. Since the holder is hollow, charging cords can neatly run right into the holder - making it plug and play!

·
Registered
144 Posts
rrympa,

If you buy the clip for the opposite tube the tilt is reversed when placed on the tube you desire. I discussed this with Mikey before I purchased the ProClip.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What do you mean the tilt is reversed on the opposite tube? From the pics, it looks as if there is an angle towards the driver on the mount if you order the one destined for the right downtube, but if you order the one for the left downtube, there is no angle (right or left), correct?

In either case, if I order the one for the left, I may not be able to install it at the level of the toggles b/c the downtube is wider there. Also, the mount may be angled such that whatever holder I use will be facing either perpendicular to the ground, or worse yet, slightly downwards.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My Proclip is rather straight up and down on its face. The angle of the face relative to the dashboard from the prospective of the driver is approximately 135 degrees. I understand that there is also a non-angled version and seem to recall an old thread where someone heated and modified the plastic in order to change the angle. (I'm not that handy). Anyway, when mine is turned upside down, the face angles approx. 45 degrees away from the driver, ( a non-angled version would remain in line with the dash). There really is little, if any, tilt to the face. It is approx. 90 degrees relative to the floor along virtually the entire usable areas for attachment to the dash support.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts