·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Viscount Charles said:
Stop the cheques! 'Phone the dealers and tell them it's all off!

I want one of these instead:
http://www.supercars.net/cars/[email protected][email protected]$GT40%20Concept.html

And don't even think about comparing it to a Civic :p

Ok, back on planet Earth the mere mortals will stick to the Cooper S, but it's nice to dream, isn't it?

I wonder if Uncle Henery intends to charge extra for the radio, though.
If that and the Cooper S were the same price well the GT40 would win everytime. It has always been my dream car. What else can I say, except:

Attachments

·
MINIstry of Fun
1,561 Posts
There are too many people in this forum who continue to push non-MINI vehicles in the faces of the converted.

We could put thousands of links on this site, but why bother? If those sorts of cars interest you (including the Honda Civic Type R) then go and subscribe to Auto Express, etc.

Stop cluttering up this site with boytoys. Ok?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
It's not the competition that worries me

eltel said:
There are too many people in this forum who continue to push non-MINI vehicles in the faces of the converted.
Despite this, no one has come remotely close to making me reconsider my current order for an S. The only thing that may achieve that is if my faith in BMW's build quality fails between now & final order. Talk to us BM'...!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Originally Posted by rich
Despite this, no one has come remotely close to making me reconsider my current order for an S. The only thing that may achieve that is if my faith in BMW's build quality fails between now & final order. Talk to us BM'...!
Nah, I think it will take quite a lot to get in the way between me, and the future Andy jnr. that will be coming my way soon!

Andy

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
eltel said:

We could put thousands of links on this site, but why bother? If those sorts of cars interest you (including the Honda Civic Type R) then go and subscribe to Auto Express, etc.

Oh come on,

It was only a Hypothetical question:rolleyes:

The GT40 will be in the super car league so I don't think the Cooper S need look over his shoulder. We are all Mini enthusiasts here or we wouldn't both visiting the site.

I saw no harm in his post; it was just a bit of light fun. What really is the big deal:confused:

And as for subscribing to Auto Express, well I don't exactly subscribe to it but I do buy it regularly as do the majority of the Members of Mini2, especially when it has an article on the new Mini.:p

LMB:D

·
MINIstry of Fun
1,561 Posts
All I'm saying is that why should this forum carry recommendations no matter how light-hearted of other makes and models?

There are plenty of sites that give reviews, photos and specs of just about any car.

So why bring them here? I think that this forum should not be kidnapped by people oohing and aahing over what are genuinely great machines, but they have no place here.

Do Private emails instead, 'cos you obviously know the members of the audience that you want to communicate with.

I'm not one of them. OK?

·
Registered
261 Posts
The Cooper S is a great car, but I really don't think it's competition for the GT40. Please, people, let's not get like clowns in other forums that believe that their cars are the best thing on the road for everyone because they are a certain make. I am a car person, not a MINI person. This means that the MINI fits the bill. But guess what? In a few years I'm going to need a truck, plain and simple. I don't think I'm going to be shopping at my MINI dealer for it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FWIW, although there's clearly no comparison between the GT40 and the MINI, I thought it was interesting to see Ford's entry into the retro-styling car market.

I stand by my original comment - the Ford is much more likely to include the radio. But I'm much more likely to need to rob a bank or marry a Man United player in order to be able to afford it!

And why so touchy, anyway? Of course this is a forum devoted to the new MINI, but can't we compare the car to any other vehicle? I think it's pretty important to see how it stacks up against the opposition.

Apparently most motoring journalists agree with me - including Driven on Channel 4 tonight. Loved the way the standard Cooper spanked the Alpha 147's backside round the track at Dijon, BTW
:D

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
eltel said:

It's a good place to compare other vehicles with the MINI eltel. Not all of us are convinced completely of the MINI's virtues. Especially in light of many UK problems.

Maybe try and ignore the non MINI posts if it upsets you.

I started the Honda Civic Type-R thread myself simply for some light relief from all the faults and fixes threads. It's proved very popular, but every post is related to the Cooper S, so it's all kept in context.

To be honest, it's the rants and raves that I find most off putting, and I have been guilty of that myself here.

Cheers

:) :)

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
eltel said:

Disagree with your point elton - I'm a huge MINI fan, but I'm not blinkered & I find the comparisons interesting & entertaining. The non-MINI coverage is hardly excessive here

Your attitude's a bit off, too - Why get so nasty?

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
The GT40 is so retro there is very little difference styling wise over the old car ! However the GT40 is a classic and I think that Ford has no need to tamper with the design ! If I was that way inclined and could afford it I'd love a retro car with the modern trimmings !
Car styling seems to keep looking over it's shoulder at the past these days....ie...PT Cruiser, Ford Thunderbird et al....Tho' there are more forward thinking designs than retro, I like a bit of nostalgia - just not too much !

·
Registered
632 Posts
???

smartbomb said:
. . . . If I was that way inclined and could afford it I'd love a retro car with the modern trimmings !
Car styling seems to keep looking over it's shoulder at the past these days....ie...PT Cruiser, Ford Thunderbird et al....Tho' there are more forward thinking designs than retro, I like a bit of nostalgia - just not too much !
smartbomb . . now come on, this is MINI2 ! ? and you`d love a retro car with the modern trimmings - surely that`s one of the reasons we`re here?

Or don`t you think BMW was "looking over it`s shoulder"?

·
Registered
26 Posts
UH oh

Just think--if the mini had come out and had not had all its problems----no other cars would have got a mention cos we'd all be off driving around, going on club days,picknics,sea-side runs, inlaws etc etc----and we would all be happy bunny's with smile's on our faces??????--STOP!!

IVE JUST HAD AN AWFULL DREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The mini in front is on its way to a dealer!
;) ;) ;)

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Re: UH oh

jonw said:
driving around, going on club days,picknics,sea-side runs, inlaws etc etc----and we would all be happy bunny's with smile's on our faces
Bit like me and a few others on this site then :D

·
MINIstry of Fun
1,561 Posts
rich said:

Disagree with your point elton - I'm a huge MINI fan, but I'm not blinkered & I find the comparisons interesting & entertaining. The non-MINI coverage is hardly excessive here

Your attitude's a bit off, too - Why get so nasty?

I don't think that I was nasty, just probably too strong, but I still stand by my original point.

Why start a thread called Cancel my 'S' Order, then go on to talk about a Ford retro rocket? Any auto enthusiast would get this info from one of many sources, mags, other sites, etc.

If you guys think that this sort of site stuffing is what you want then that is what you will get.

I subscribe to two other (non-auto) forums that continually drift into ego trips about who can do something bigger, earlier, saucier, etc. I hope this site doesn't get to be irrelevant.

Look at it this way, if you were a new subscriber, and instead of MINI discussions, you find postings about Honda Civic, Ford GT40, Clio, Alfa, all in a positive light, then you might decide to treat this site with some degree of scepticism, along with those people who contribute to that impression.

This is just my opinion. I still read every thread here, just in case I miss something, just wish there wasn't so much 'static' on the radio.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry I'm irrelevant. I'll shut up now.

Could you please let all of the other irrelevancies know that any mention of anything off-topic (even if it can be vaguely related to the MINI) will also incur your wrath? Particularly if it involves any other sort of car, which of course shouldn't be mentioned on a MINI site?

Hmmm - seems I can do "bitchy" as well as "irrelevant". Now I just need to master "bored whilst waiting for my S to arrive" along with "Well, I'd not seen it mentioned anywhere else".

Don't suppose you would care to give us some relevant news on the S? Only my dealership seems a bit out of the loop, and I've read everything else on the forum.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Basil said:

It's a good place to compare other vehicles with the MINI eltel. Not all of us are convinced completely of the MINI's virtues. Especially in light of many UK problems.

Maybe try and ignore the non MINI posts if it upsets you.

I started the Honda Civic Type-R thread myself simply for some light relief from all the faults and fixes threads. It's proved very popular, but every post is related to the Cooper S, so it's all kept in context.

To be honest, it's the rants and raves that I find most off putting, and I have been guilty of that myself here.

Cheers

:) :)
Not convinced you read this one though eltel !!

;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts