MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, my WRX just got totalled and I cant decide if i want a Mini S or another WRX with the insurance. The only things I dont know about the mini are:

1. Reliability- The WRX and all subarus are very reliable, i want a car to last me more than 7 years.

2. Parts- How much are Mini Parts, i know subaru parts are very cheap

3. Snow and Rain- How is the mini in the snow, I live in Utah and the AWD of the subaru is very convienient.

interior wise, the Mini is superior, and I know performance wise the WRX is MUCH better, but I dont want to go fast, I want it to be fun and to be a good everyday car. So, what should it be?

·
You are number 6
5,267 Posts
Hi and welcome to MINI2,
you've come to the right place for an unbiased opinion ;) - buy the MINI :D

Yes the MINI is relaiable :D

Our Canadian cousins seem to manage very well in the snow and I think in both the Canadian and US forums you'll finds lots of information on winter driving. :)

·
kgouin
481 Posts
Get the MINI, you won't regret it. I had thought about buying a Subaru because I live in a small town and I have to drive 20 miles on wooded roads to get anywhere. I ended up with the MINI because of everything I read about it such as handling and all the safety features. I haven't driven it in the snow yet but everyone says they are great with snow tires. I have even talked with people that had on the performance tires last winter and they didn't have any problems in the snow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kgouin said:
Get the MINI, you won't regret it. I had thought about buying a Subaru because I live in a small town and I have to drive 20 miles on wooded roads to get anywhere. I ended up with the MINI because of everything I read about it such as handling and all the safety features. I haven't driven it in the snow yet but everyone says they are great with snow tires. I have even talked with people that had on the performance tires last winter and they didn't have any problems in the snow.

My WRX was INCREDIBLY safe. in fact, its saved mine and my friends life Sunday afternoon when it was totalled. We were going around a bend at about 30mph when we started to understeer and then I fishtailed left and then overcorrected left, off the edge of the canyon. We rolled 7 1/2 times 105ft down a steep hill/cliff. I walked away with a concussion and whiplash, and my friend broke his neck but isnt paralyzed. Are minis THAT safe?

·
You are number 6
5,267 Posts
persianpunisher said:
My WRX was INCREDIBLY safe. in fact, its saved mine and my friends life Sunday afternoon when it was totalled. We were going around a bend at about 30mph when we started to understeer and then I fishtailed left and then overcorrected left, off the edge of the canyon. We rolled 7 1/2 times 105ft down a steep hill/cliff. I walked away with a concussion and whiplash, and my friend broke his neck but isnt paralyzed. Are minis THAT safe?
Glad to hear that the Subaru did its job.
There are lots of posts on here about the MINI doing the same, I hope you never have to find out just how safe the MINI is.
Best wishes to you and your friend for a good recovery :)

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,172 Posts
Interestingly, the two best handling cars that I have ever driven are my current MINI Cooper and my ex boss' Subaru Impreza.

I don't know about the Subaru, but my own Cooper has been incredably reliable and if there is one thing that was really noticable swapping between Subaru and MINI - it was how much more substantial the MINI felt! Yes, that seems a crazy thing to say, but everything about the MINI, from the way the doors shut to the quality of all the interior trim seemed more substantial than the Impreza! Yes, really!!

Let us know what you decide.

Tigger.

·
Slippery When Wet
2,556 Posts
I didn't really trust the MINIs safety until it gave its life for mine a few weeks ago. I was in a wreck with a large pickup truck. The MINI was totaled, but I walked away with bruises, a sprained hand (presumably from the airbag) and little else. I trust a MINI with my life. Of all things to question regarding a MINI, safety isn't one. ;) There are pics in my gallery if you want specifics.

As far as snow driving - I live in Michigan. Last winter was my first with the MINI and my first without the 'Smarttrak' of my previous SUV. At the time I was running the 16" 5-stars w/ All Season Runflats and never had an issue. I eventually put the 17" S-lites on the Cooper but planned to go back to the 5-stars w/ a good snow tire come winter time (alas, winter time isn't going to come :rolleyes: ) I don't know how Utah winters compare to those in Michigan, but personally, the MINI was never an issue.

Reliability - I had mine for 17 months & 24,000 miles. It went into the dealer twice for scheduled maintenance (10,000 mile oil change & 25,000 oil change/inspection) and once for picky complaints (a few squeaks & rattles). Everything was promptly attended to by the dealer, and I didn't have any issues afterwards. At the end of my MINIs life it was still in pristine condition. It would have lasted many, many more years.

As a MINI fan, I'll tell you to buy a MINI. For practical reasons, I'll say buy a MINI. They really are fabulous little cars. ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
if your thinking of driving near water dont get a mini i went through a big puddle and needed a new engine.i have had the windscreen seal loosen 3 times,door not shutting,windows not shutting,boot rattling,gear linkage and my petrol gauge has been to dealers 4 times and they still dont know how to fix it :mad: apart from that its been nice

·
It IS a BMW!
59 Posts
A contraversial opinion...

Hey,

I currently own a Cooper, but really REALLY want to own a scooby wrx. The only thing stopping me is my age. I am currently only 21 and can't insure one.

For this reason, I think my next car will be a cooper s, but the day I hit 25, I will have a WRX!

B3n

·
MINI...Grrrreat!
132 Posts
Hi

I have friends with WRX motors, and yes they are very good machines, let down by their poorlt styled interiors.
Having been in one, I don't think you will disappointed with the feel of an MCS, the biggest drawback is no AWD.
But what the MCs misses out on in performance & spec. to the WRX, more than makes in pleasure in the drive and the character of the car.

Best of luck whatever you get, but you won't regret it, the Mini2 Community is great too! :D
D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the responses. You see, I need a car that is "durable" and Subarus are just that. Not only durable, but safe and VERY reliable. But the Mini's interior is oh so nice

·
Slippery When Wet
2,556 Posts
gokartride said:
I think deep down you seem pretty sold on the WRX.
I was going to say the same thing

It seems like no amount of positive feedback from us will convince in favor of the MINI. I officially retract my comment. Get the WRX - it'll make you happy ;) :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
But I really am in a 50/50 toss up. NOTHING compares to the mini's handling or interior. Utah winters have ALOT of snow, more than a foot. And sadly, not always does it get plowed. I have noticed though that all Mini owners in Utah also have an SUV in teh family.

·
Slippery When Wet
2,556 Posts
what are you still concerned about with the MINI (that hasn't been addressed)? any specific questions people can try to answer? what parts of previous answers weren't sufficient enough to convince you?

sorry for 20 questions - just trying to get you the info you need to make a decision. ;) You've test driven a MINI correct?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have driven my friends JCW mini, not Mini S. Apparently JCW makes a regular mini kit i belelive. He didnt have heated seats, but he had the sport suspension and such. Very nice interior. I love how the radio recognizes the song. I want to try the S, due to teh 6th gear.

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Funny, the two non-BMW cars I lust after the most are Coopers and WRXs. Seems like there is not only me! :D

So speaking from my vantage point, I think either would be awesome. Go test drive a MINI and that should be your answer. You know what the WRX feels like, now go feel a MINI. Then you get the tough job of deciding.

·
Is it just me, or...?
546 Posts
It's amazing how similar many of our favourite cars are! I'm also a big Impreza WRX fan, although I've yet to have the pleasure of driving one. It sounds in your case (in all honesty) that the Scooby would be the better choice, I'll bet the AWD and extra power would come in handy for bad winters & mountain roads.

I love the handling & style of the MINI, and agree it's a much nicer car looks wise, also cheaper, more fun etc. It's like a magazine recently summed-up though about the latest WRX;

'Still not pretty - but pretty damn effective!'

In my case head & heart says MINI for me, but in your case the driving environment would edge towards the practicality of the WRX.

Either that, or get a lovely MINI and move to one of the sunshine states! ;)

·
Registered
153 Posts
persianpunisher said:
Hey, my WRX just got totalled and I cant decide if i want a Mini S or another WRX with the insurance. The only things I dont know about the mini are:

1. Reliability- The WRX and all subarus are very reliable, i want a car to last me more than 7 years.

2. Parts- How much are Mini Parts, i know subaru parts are very cheap

3. Snow and Rain- How is the mini in the snow, I live in Utah and the AWD of the subaru is very convienient.

interior wise, the Mini is superior, and I know performance wise the WRX is MUCH better, but I dont want to go fast, I want it to be fun and to be a good everyday car. So, what should it be?
ive got a 02 wrx and a mini cooper s, i bought the mini cause i wanted to have fun on the track, and was getting bored of my wrx, but its been converted to rear wheel drive and now its more fun than the mini.. personally i like the wrx better because of the attention, it goes tail happy, its loud, its fast and its turbo!
but mini is also alrite if u just want a nice drive...
not so much of a hassle with a mini

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.