MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If money isn't a concern, then I won't have any headache.

I just place an order for a MCS. But I still can't decide which tires to go. I know the best solution is performance plus an extra set of snow tires. I don't have any problem to shed $100 for a piece of snow tire, however these run flat are so expensive. I had think about just go for regular snow tires, but I need to have room to carry an extra tire, which is not quite possible.
So I place my order with all season. However, after I know more about how heavy the tires are, and they are from 'Good Year', the more I don't want the all season.
Currently, I am in Wisconsin. It may snow 40% of a year, so I can't drive with slick all year round. :confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had great traction with my all season run flats in all weather but even in snow i sometimes had to put the chains on(i have air suspension on my cooper ad when raised i've got a good 10-14 inches of ground clearance,therefore i can drive through pretty deep snow)and that was only when it was like 8 inches.So in my opinion get the.The tires are definetely abit heavier and aren't as good as hving rain spec tires,slicks,and snow tires but they are the nex best thing. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is the best MPG you get from the heavy all season tires? I really concern about how the weight of those tires impact the mpg, and the traction in 3 to 4 inches of snow. Lucky you can install chain, we can't do that in here.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
With all the snow you get in WI, I wouldn't drive on the road without a full out winter tire. All Season tires are a compromise. Get the performance tires and then go buy winter wheels and a set of snow tires.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there way that I can put regular tires and fit a small donut under the trunk? My concern is run flat is expensive and heavy. If I can hide a small spare tire without sacrifice lot of space, then I would go for performance and snow. :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
francisk said:
Is there way that I can put regular tires and fit a small donut under the trunk?
Sure, get a Cooper instead of a MCS ;) .

Seriously, I don't think there is a way around this unless you want to give up 75% of your actual boot space to a spare, or find runflat snows (do they exist?).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is there a noticable difference in handling and/or ride quality between the All Season 17 and Performance 17's? I'm thinking performance unless the handling is the same and the ride is better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
No room for the spare in the MCS

francisk said:
:confused:
So cooper has the small spare tire? Why MCS can't? :confused:
The battery in the MCS is located where the spare is in the MC. They moved the battery to make room for the supercharger up front.

A fair trade I'd say! :D

I have the all-seasons, and they are pretty good all-around. But we get almost no snow here in Seattle, only a lot of wet, so they are a good compromise for here. With a lot of snow, I'm not sure what I'd do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As to answer your question about mpg.I would say at max they take away no more then 2 mpg because my MCS got on average my first year with them about 32mpg.And now i have these performance rain/street spec tires and i get 33 with them average.lso as far as MCS owners needing to carry a spare tire(I believe 2 should always be on hand cus if one can pop then so can another)i uses a bike rack holder wich goes on the back and has two prongs that stick out of it..you've probably seen one by now.anyways i just put my two wheel/tire assembly's on that and strap them down with tire covers over them.here's a diagram:

@@@
@ @
@ @
* @ @*
@ @ @

@=circumferance of tire
*= two protruding rods from bike rack wich wheels sit on.

p.s. you can also buy a kit where you strap it to the edge of your back door and it only holds one tire but it works.i think jcwhitney sells them.sorry for the bad diagram.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ok that previous diagram didn't come out as expected so here's one i made in the paint program...once again sorry for the bad quality of my computer artwork. :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice pic.
Sounds like the all season isn't as bad as I heard from. I think I will just stick with my current order, and try to save some more $$$ for a set of summer tires light weight wheel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts