MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

I'm looking for the piston ring gap clearances or the amount per mm. I've spent hours looking!
I am wanting to reuse the rings as I can't find any new ones locally.
I don't have a Bentley Manual and If I buy one I'll only use it for this purpose and never again!
Could someone please help me

·
Registered
12,271 Posts
dont even try and reuse the rings it will end badly , you must hone the bones and fit new rings, i would also use the latest spec ring sets as they do away with the crap bmw plastic oil rings, and use solid ones,, link below for idea

·
Registered
12,271 Posts
Mate, thanks a bunch. I'll source from the UK

Thanks again!
your welcome they are pre gapped as well after a hone ie you must hone the bores when fitting new rings ,, those ring sets link i gave you is what i use and only get get good feedback from owners ie their cars stopped using oil pretty much, below link for hone tool you will need
i have a over hundred pounds one , i also have the above link tool and its as good as a expensive one, use plenty of wd40

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Mike. I ordered the rings and they will be delivered in two weeks to Oz. My engine got a tad hot and so I had the bores honed by an engine rebuilder, don't trust myself! They shaved the head and block as both not flat. Looking forward to putting it back together! One more question in the process of picking up my block and head, I mixed up the pistons and so do I need to get new pistons now or can I match them up again somehow. I tried looking at marks on the bearing caps and bores but there no marks on the caps at all and the bores are honed so nothing there too. Can I match them using micrometer tools? Yes, I'm an amateur at all this

·
Registered
12,271 Posts
Thanks Mike. I ordered the rings and they will be delivered in two weeks to Oz. My engine got a tad hot and so I had the bores honed by an engine rebuilder, don't trust myself! They shaved the head and block as both not flat. Looking forward to putting it back together! One more question in the process of picking up my block and head, I mixed up the pistons and so do I need to get new pistons now or can I match them up again somehow. I tried looking at marks on the bearing caps and bores but there no marks on the caps at all and the bores are honed so nothing there too. Can I match them using micrometer tools? Yes, I'm an amateur at all this
you should not mix them up , must be back in same order, same with all the valves in the head , I have replaced pistons before on engines when were mixed up and engine ran ok , but should mark everything before stripping them down, these engines dont do well when over heated have a habit of dropping valve seats out of head, they also can crack the head internally,, i have had dealings with such engines a lot over the years , nothing worse than spending a bag of cash and time to find after it heats up you end up with over pressure in coolant system from bubbles in system,, easy way to know on first start up is over fill header tank so its level at the top run engine keep topping up as it heats up for a while,, if see a pattern of bubbles coming out then chances are its cracked, I have had them before not bubble until get to near running temps,,, ie 105c to 112c

·
Registered
12,271 Posts
I really appreciate your advice. Thankfully my mechanic brother will be here soon to "advise" me properly on the next step. Cheers to everybody in the mini world
thats good at least you have someone on hand who under stands all about these engines ,

·
Registered
25 Posts
dont even try and reuse the rings it will end badly , you must hone the bones and fit new rings, i would also use the latest spec ring sets as they do away with the crap bmw plastic oil rings, and use solid ones,, link below for idea
Does Mahle makes new design 3 piece oil control rings? This brand isn’t available on market where I am. Thanks

·
Registered
12,271 Posts
would not know I only use those

1 - 11 of 11 Posts