MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had aq gasoline leak at a gas station on my 2022 Clubman S All4 and wanted to move it out of the way of the station pumps WITHOUT starting it and possibly causing a fire. I go in and pushed the start toggle to get dashboard lights, then put foot on brake and tried to move electronic selector to N. Would not go. I pulled up the shift boot to look for release button but there was none. I had to start it while sitting on a lake of gasoline!! to move it.
I was told by MINI dealer that there is no way to put this car into N without it running.
So that means if your battery is dead, they have to drag the car onto the flatbed???
Anyone else know about this??

·
Registered
123 Posts
Some vehicles with an electric shift have an auxiliary battery that is used to provide power so these work in the event the main battery is no good.

My 2020 M-B Metris van which has an electric shifter also has an auxiliary battery. I believe it is charged when the van is coasting. There's a graphic that shows some charging of a battery is taking place when I let the van coast. Of course there is an alternator and I have to believe it is also used to charge at least the main battery.

Now my 2022 BMW has an electric shifter and electric parking brake but has not auxiliary battery. It has a pretty good sized battery to be sure but that doesn't mean it can't at some point go bad.

Have never looked into this but with a previous car in case the battery died and one need to use the electric switches to open the hood one could hook up 12V power to an emergency power connector near the fuse box and clamp the ground to the door latch catch loop. This was to be used to try to start the engine only to provide enough electric power to open the hood and raise the electric power windows.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some vehicles with an electric shift have an auxiliary battery that is used to provide power so these work in the event the main battery is no good.

My 2020 M-B Metris van which has an electric shifter also has an auxiliary battery. I believe it is charged when the van is coasting. There's a graphic that shows some charging of a battery is taking place when I let the van coast. Of course there is an alternator and I have to believe it is also used to charge at least the main battery.

Now my 2022 BMW has an electric shifter and electric parking brake but has not auxiliary battery. It has a pretty good sized battery to be sure but that doesn't mean it can't at some point go bad.

Have never looked into this but with a previous car in case the battery died and one need to use the electric switches to open the hood one could hook up 12V power to an emergency power connector near the fuse box and clamp the ground to the door latch catch loop. This was to be used to try to start the engine only to provide enough electric power to open the hood and raise the electric power windows.
Thanks for your insight!
Found out from the dealer that they called MINI Technical who said there is NO provision for an owner to take the transmission out of park into neutral without starting the engine. This is only true for the 2022 Clubman and Countryman All4. So if you need to tow the car with a dead battery or no start condition, you will have to drag it on flatbed in park potentially damaging the parking pawl.
I found this out after I had a massive fuel leak after filling up at a gas station. Was a bad O-ring on fuelpump.
I had to start the engine to move the car while sitting over 3 gallons of spilled gasoline!!!!!!
I was very fortunate not to be a flambe

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks for your insight!
Found out from the dealer that they called MINI Technical who said there is NO provision for an owner to take the transmission out of park into neutral without starting the engine. This is only true for the 2022 Clubman and Countryman All4. So if you need to tow the car with a dead battery or no start condition, you will have to drag it on flatbed in park potentially damaging the parking pawl.
I found this out after I had a massive fuel leak after filling up at a gas station. Was a bad O-ring on fuelpump.
I had to start the engine to move the car while sitting over 3 gallons of spilled gasoline!!!!!!
I was very fortunate not to be a flambe
Well, that's unfortunate.

A properly equipped tow truck with a properly trained operator will have a wheel dolly that can be placed under in the case of the FWD MINI the front wheels/tires and lift them up and then the dolly wheels/tires will roll just fine when the operator uses the stinger to lift the vehicle by its rear wheels/tires.

A tilt bed tow truck operator will hook a vehicle then if he can gain access to the vehicle sometimes resorting to using a slender wedge to open the side window a bit and reach in with a hook and pull the door lock so he can open the door and release the parking brake and take the transmission out of gear. In some cases he will get under the car and there's a quick way to release the parking brake. If he can't release parking brake and get the transmission in neutral he puts a plastic wedge under the locked tires/wheels and these climb part way onto the wedge as the car is being pulled up the bed and the plastic let the car slide right up onto the bed.

·
Registered
2013 Roaster, MCS, 6spd
24 Posts
Note that towing company does not care about additional damages to your vehicle when you call for their service.
Had that experience while back, when front axle & wheel on Saturn was damaged hitting curb. Had my own HD dolly with 4 wheels for moving pianos. Strong to support Saturn on front while it was dragged onto town truck flatbed.
Same dolly helped to lower car from truck w/o causing any undercarriage damages.
Lucky that this accident happened close to home in winter time, so able to get my dolly before town truck arrived... pure luck. Without dolly sections under front door , body panels, mud flops would been damaged.

·
Registered
405 Posts
My tow company puts plastic sliders under the wheels to get on the bed. Also, if vehicle easy to get to, will put dollies s on one end and tow on cradle. The sliders was done on a Land Rover and the tow operator knew how much it would cost him to screw the tranny up from experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts