MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, just wondered if anybody else had the same problem as me?
When on country lanes or motorways my dooper really seems to struggle on any kind of incline.

Around town it is fine in the lower gears but around 70mph in 6th (or even 5th) on a motorway, going slightly uphill it will lose speed, this is with my foot nailed to the floor! It does the same with cruise control on as well.

I've only had the car 5 days (57 plate with 43k on it) but this is disappointing as the torque from a diesel should cope with this.

I previously had a Seat Leon FR TDi with 170hp so I was expecting a performance drop but surely not like this??!!

I was thinking maybe there is a problem with the turbo?

Anybody help?

·
Registered
139 Posts
The only thing I can suggest is that with my old MKIV Golf diesel, it went into what is called "limp Mode" which is a self protection mode when something isn't working properly in the engine etc..

In my case it was the air mass meter which is quite a common fault, perhaps its something very similar with yours.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Doesn't sound right. I often sit at around 70 on the motorway in 6th and never have to change down. On country lanes I can get up quite steep hills (1 in 5) in 3rd gear at 1200rpm. You should get it checked so you can get on enjoying a fine car.
Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies guys.

Its going back to Mini tomorrow for new tyres so I will get them to investigate it.

The service history is all main dealer and has only just had its 3rd one.

Hopefully it gets sorted, dropping into 4th on the motorway isn't great for the fuel economy either! Only getting about 45mpg on a 30 mile run to work.

·
Registered
640 Posts
..... Only getting about 45mpg on a 30 mile run to work.
what sort of run is it? I do approx 30 to work and mines at 61mpg. If I drive it like a ***t then by the time I get to work and have spent time in slow traffic then it gets back to 60+. Barring a vehicle fault someone would have to be a really bad driver to get 45mpg. Either that or the commute is a really fast twisty, hilly country lane - lucky you!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well..... got it back today from the mini dealer. It was a hose connecting to the turbo which was split meaning no pressure.
Now its sorted, and I have to say its surprised me how quick it actually is when you put your foot down!
What a fantastic car, absolutely thrashed it today and still got 47mpg!!
I will work my way up to 60+ when i've had my fun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts