MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 02 cooper s & lately when i accelerate hard it shudders/jumpy feeling almost like there is a block to the power but eventually releases, but driving the other day i pushed it hard & same thing happened but this time the engine light came on but went off after a few hrs of the car been off? Any idea what could be wrong?

Any bit of help is gratefully welcome...

·
JCW 210 apparently not!
516 Posts
from you discription it could be a whole world of problems,

* clutch slipping - probably wouldn't put the light on
* bypass not functioning corectly - probably not though
* loose boost pipe somewhere
* problem with throttle
* a good selection of sensors
* belt slipping
* aftermarket pulley slipping
* spark plugs
* Injectors

What you need to obtain is an OBD II CAN reader and read the code you get, I have one and based in the midlands. or take to BMW.

The description you gave could point at way to many items to pin point the problem. is it under fueling? burning all cylinders? any black smoke? we would need a lot more information. best to read your fault code

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers lads for the info, will bring it to BMW & see what they say! It happened before but problem went away but just want to get it fixed or sorted now because its a pain in the hole...

·
Trailer Trash
202 Posts
Spark plug wires; if you have more than 30k miles on the vehicle install a new set of OEM wires. Clean the coil posts and apply dielectric grease to the connectors on both ends of the wires. This is an easy, cost effective trouble shooting step, plus prudent preventative maintenance item.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the car over to local mini dealership, turns out the HT conectors had rusted through (3 of the 4) so having them replaced & hopefully back on the road trouble free tomorrow...:D

Thanks for all the help!

·
Trailer Trash
202 Posts
So in other words, spark plug wire connector to the coil post?

I’ve seen failed MINI plug wires more than a few times and the generated codes are usually erroneous. I’ve not seen a first gen. MINI yet without oxidation on the #3 coil post terminal; a skilled mechanic is not needed to clean the posts and apply dielectric grease.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts