MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anybody else on her sick to death of people denting your car when your in car parks. I have come to end of my tether I have started parking across 3 parking spaces now (you get a few funny looks, I don't care) because even if you park at the other side of the car park with no other cars some idiot will have to park right next to you. God forbid any body dinting my new Mini when it comes. :mad:

·
Deserter Zed
2,204 Posts
car park dents are the most annoying damage to a car possible!!! i av gone 12 months now wiv out a single one, thank god, touch wood, lucky rabis foot!! but i no others who are no so fortunate, the tric isno to park with spaces either side of u, as ne cud park up an wang ur door, but 2 judge the owners of the surrounding cars!! is it clean, wot kind of car is it u can basically work out who owns it!!

·
MINI2 Jedi Master
1,237 Posts
What i do is :

1) park at the back of the parking lot because it is often empty with all the lazy people around.

2) park slightly at an angle next to a car so that there just isn't enough space for a car to park next to me (i know what you mean about the funny looks you get when you do this).

3) try and park at the end of a line of parked cars so that I only have one car next to me.

4) pray that I don't get some moron park next to me.

... so far no dents (touch wood).

·
003 On a Mission
4,239 Posts
:red: :red: :)

One of my nightmares:eek: I have managed up to this post anyway to avoid such damage.
Before parking I always look at the car s that will be next to me.
Found that parking on the end of a row helps to reduce the chances by 50%;) Also park next to or in between brand new cars like beemers/mercs etc. Or next to a rice machine these tend to have loving careful owners;) Lastly use the children and parent bays when ever possible as these are wider. But do not use disabled bays:)
Steer well clear of 4x4`s they tend to be full of little persons, bless um:D

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
i park in the middle of 2 car park spaces = equal space either side :D no one has yet parked next to me :D prob thinking "the person who drives that mini must be a bit of a crack head"

·
Pinks
325 Posts
Car Park Dings & Dents

Hi everyone :cool:

I'm so glad its not just me who takes about 10 or 15 minutes in a car park to find the "Ultimate Space" :)
I'll walk half a mile to the shop if it means no one will ding my doors ....

All car spaces should be at least "Parent & Child" wide...

All the best
Pinks
:black: :yellow:

·
Registered
940 Posts
The end of the row works well, and if you can park on the end where the passenger door will face your baby, even better odds. If it does happen, and it will, go straight to your local "dent wizzard" its only money and youll feel better right away.....

·
Tinkering In The Garage
2,168 Posts
Guilty as charge i like to park safe too, as far away from the store so most of the lazy people don't par no where near me at all. My first Cooper lasted 8 months before i got a carpark dent and that was some numpty at work with a volvo convertable, i know it was him as i checked my car as i left it. Revenge was mine however hehehehe. So far with my new cooper i have lasted 10 month and not a single dent, famous last words.

Ady :cool:

·
TT or not TT
3,064 Posts
I try and park as far away from other cars if possible I tried taking up 2 bays and when I returned I had the surprise present of a parking ticket on my windscreen.:(

Does anyone else find this ....when you do find a space far away in the car park with no other cars there, so you park your car only to find out people still park next to you even though there are spaces nearer for them to use.:confused:

·
Registered
668 Posts
We always try to find the biggest gaps possible.

Normally these tend to be in the corner of a car park where they have put a load of standard sized bays in and then realise that there's an extra large bay at the end. We parked in the far corner of an almost empty car park which was full by the time we got back and couldn't believe that the Volvo driver respected the markings:

Not sure what happened here, but it was a double width bay in the middle of a row:

·
BMW Traitor
1,192 Posts
I can understand wanting to keep the ding possibilities to a minimum but parking across 2 or even 3 spaces?!?! That is really rude, taking up space that other people might need. I get :bad::bad::bad::bad:ed off when SUVs (usually) park across 2 spaces and it was a jam packed area. Makes me want to key their car, but I don't cuz I'm a nice guy. Seriously try to find other methods like park as far away as possible than taking up more space. It's not very courteous or considerate.

·
Loves the Fuzzy One
16,525 Posts
Barnabas said:
I can understand wanting to keep the ding possibilities to a minimum but parking across 2 or even 3 spaces?!?! That is really rude, taking up space that other people might need. I get :bad::bad::bad::bad:ed off when SUVs (usually) park across 2 spaces and it was a jam packed area. Makes me want to key their car, but I don't cuz I'm a nice guy. Seriously try to find other methods like park as far away as possible than taking up more space. It's not very courteous or considerate.

And it's worse when they take two spots as close as possible, or at Christmas when spots are in short supply. Considerate drivers are also considerate parkers.

I park at the edge of the lot, protects my car and the walk is good for me. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
My poor mini was hit at work twice within the first week of ownership. It wasn't that I didn't try and park away from other vehicles, this I always do....the problem lay in the fact we had a ton of snow dumped in a couple of days and the lazy bzzsss at physical plant wouldn't clear the car park. I was forced (as I nearly got stuck) to park with the rabble. Needless to say two of these on different days dinged my doors (both sides). I wanted to get revenge, but as both were rusty old heaps I felt giving the cars a kick wouldn't have mattered in the slightest to the owners. I now park, like many as far away from the shops at the distant corners of car parks. I get many a strange look, but I don't care!

·
BMW Traitor
1,192 Posts
AprilWhine said:
And it's worse when they take two spots as close as possible, or at Christmas when spots are in short supply. Considerate drivers are also considerate parkers.

I park at the edge of the lot, protects my car and the walk is good for me. :)
AprileWhine has the right idea! You get some exercise AND you're being considerate of other folks. Not to mention save your MINI from countless dings :)

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
ESKIMO DANCE said:
i park in the middle of 2 car park spaces = equal space either side :D no one has yet parked next to me :D prob thinking "the person who drives that mini must be a bit of a crack head"
I'll be afraid some guy would come by and key me.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
I've considered getting these... http://www.superiorcarcare.net/parsmarmagdo.html as I can see my car from my window at work (but I'm getting a new job soon and dont know how parking is there...) and if anyone tries to steal it I'lll go give them a nice two cents. Usually co workers park next to me and some are careful some arnt. One uncareful one managed to hit another co workers car and she told me about it. I was so glad that he didnt park next to me that day.

To me if these are used in public I think people would rip them off and hit my car with their door an extra 6 times... only at work where I know the people would I be able to pull this off I think.

·
PhilSporty
132 Posts
It's not just car parks its just about anywhere. I only use my black 'S' for fun when back from overseas, and i can tell you that in the 9 weeks i have driven it (owned it for 5 months) the amount of surface scratches that have just appeared, especially over the bonnet and wings is enough to make you boil. I recon it is from people that drag their bags across the bonnet instead of lifting them. When i park i try to plan that it is very difficult for them to walk in front, not always possible though.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
About this Discussion
93 Replies
43 Participants
monkeynuts
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing