MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Mini Crazy
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does this damage the car with little scratches? didnt have time for a full wash, so i ran it thru the car wash and buffed with some chamois leather after, and seemed to notice a lot of small scratches i didnt kno existed. they a like hairs but into the paint. =/ anyone had any experience of problems with a car wash?

·
Is it just me, or...?
546 Posts
If they run length-wise along the car, rather than circular, then they probably are from the car wash. These are bound to be very slightly abrasive compared to handwashing it.

I once had a hairdresser who took her boyfriend's freshly resprayed car through an automatic wash, a couple of days after it had been painted. Apparently it came out the other side with a slightly stripey new look! :eek:

·
Now with S power!
23,915 Posts
I personally wouldn't use a car wash as they do scratch. But i would say that, I've my only car valeting business! :D

·
Ecstatic new JCW owner!
2,013 Posts
I use a hand car wash manned by friendly Eastern European chaps. If you look closely at my black MINI you can see the tiny scratch marks - probably from sponges that have grit in them from other cars. :mad: I should really wash it myself, but I never get to park outside my front door, it's freezing, the wash only costs £4, and you don't notice unless you really look. Bad I know! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
jasonfields007 said:
sometimes i take my car through a carwash. haven't noticed any scratches really but they're no where near as good as a hand wash.

J
Silver paint hides the scratches well but they are easily noticeable on black or met blue cars.

Car washes are bad. Careful handwashing is the only way to go. Only takes minutes to wash a MINI anyway.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
MaRKaSaURuS said:
takes me like an hour, then another 20 mins for under bonnet check and refil, and another 30 mins inside.
To do a thorough job yes but to get results better than a car wash takes minutes.

Quick hose down, quick handwash, quick hose then a blast along a fast road to dry it - see minutes ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've found a good product for a quick wash...

Its called Demon Shine.....basically you wash you car as normal (hand wash) then mix a capful of this with a bucket of warm water then pour over the car, windows, wheels etc and the water runs off, no need for a chamios etc. Like I said its good for a quick wash and no water marks after....

·
Another Happy Owner
204 Posts
my best advice is to stay away from those evil car wash machines as much as possible.

My previous car had an oxidation issue with the manufacturer's stock paint and as a result the paint started speckling. but in the long term since i (1) didnt care about this run down piece and (2) still liked my car clean, i continued using the car wash machine. I can tell that the paint job was progressively getting worse.

Also on darker cars, you can tell if the paint is getting scratched but usually by then, its a bit too late to cover up.

I say hand wash your car! As a mini ownder, i KNOW you love your baby!
take time and give your car a good scrub!

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I know I missed Halloween, but....

My scary picture for the day.

I know some people like to take meticulous care of their MINIs, but I just drive around and try and keep it clean.

I'm planning on doing some Ice-racing this winter, so scratch-free will be a thing of the past soon enough.

·
Registered
169 Posts
car washers put slight circles in the paint work stay well away imo.

Takes me bout an hour to wash my baby, I use a cap full of something called Mur in the water that I got from halfords and it brings mini up a treat :D

·
Totalled
7,388 Posts
Would never dream of using a car wash. I'd rather let it go dirty than use one of those monstrosities :(

·
Registered
284 Posts
Another "hand wash only" proponent here. Do what ya gotta do, of course, but try to avoid the car wash...or you'll likely see more scratches. I use a coin operated hand car wash, but the wand only gets used for the wetting and rinsing. (I NEVER use the brush.) Everything else is done with a bucket of shampoo and a cotton chenille mitt, then blot drying w/ an absorber and finishing with a waffle weave microfiber towel.

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
What do you winter climate MINI drivers recommend as proper car-washing equipment for the winter months when it is regularly below freezing???! Any special rinses or mits or anything of the sort that works specifically well for those cold months???! :confused:

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
MaximusCFC said:
I would never use a car wash either sometimes use a jet wash but keep the gun as far away as possible.
I was curious about that very point. I heard that jet sprayers can actually tear off parts of the paint or sealant. What exactly is the right protocol or procedure when using a jet sprayer to wash your MINI???! Any tips? :confused:

·
Registered
28 Posts
One word !!! ZYMOL !! Never put your mini through the car wash, u'll just ruin the lovely paint. Zymol is the best stuff i've found. :eb:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts