MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

This might sound like a stupid question, but is it safe to take my MCS through a car wash? When I bought the car, the dealership told me not to take the car through car washes, as they'd had complaints from people that they have had the spoilers ripped off their cars by car washes. I normally hand wash my car, but it's absolutely filthy at the moment and there is a garage with a car wash just up the road. Did anyone else get told this when they bought the car? Anyone else with an MCS that uses car washes?

Thanks for your help.

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,173 Posts
I've read of several owners on M2 with MCS's who have had their rear spoilers ripped off. It's just too easy for the machine to get hold of the gap in the spoiler and pull at it.

I would never, ever, put my own MC through one of those things! It least if it's grubby you can always wash it (eventually) by hand. If the finish on the paint is abraded away by a car wash you largely stuck with it.

Tigger

·
Registered
65 Posts
AAAHHH!!! Don't do it. Mine scraped bottom terrible.

I went through one in the US in a moment of weakness and it was an awful thing.

The car in front of me was a BMW z3 convertible so I thought it would be no problem. WRONG!! I was sitting in it and all I heard was this scraping of the bottom on one of the car washes guide rails. It was terrible, I couldn't stop the thing and I couldn't get out to check it either. Longest 3 minutes of my life.

No apparent damage, I think it was my exhaust sliding along, it was clearly a metallic sound.

I've had mine for two years and every week to every two weeks especially in the winter because they chem treat the roads here in the NEast, I had wash it. It doesn't take long.

I pull into the car wash and use their spray bay with my bucket and towels for $5 USD and ten minutes

·
Registered
700 Posts
Never take any car with a decent paint job through an automatic car wash. It's asking for trouble.

I've heard way too many horror stories about them.

The "wand" power spray car washes should be used with caution, too. Don't get the want too close to your car, the powerful, fine spray from these washes can rip the paint off your car! It can also find it's way under rubber fittings and other places where water would never go, normally. Can cause excess rust and other water-related problems.

These pressure-type washes are nice to use on occaision, but I use them VERY carefully.

·
Totally Mental!
21,789 Posts
if you're like most of the miniacs on here, you'll love your min to bits, and therefore not want to hurt or do bad things to it! I'm completely paranoid about mine (parking 16 miles away from shops, across 3 spaces etc etc) and I think going through one of those car washes is the most horrible idea. Can you imagine how many other manky motors have gone through before, and how much dirt and grime and gravel and :bad::bad::bad::bad: gets caught up in the brushy things? And then when they're whirling round your car, how much of that then comes off against your paintwork? I've never taken my car through one of those, but just have the horrors of getting scraped to bits! Take the bit of extra time and do it yourself- at least then you get the satisfaction of standing back to admire when you're done... Right, away to get my bucket and sponge... :D

·
Now With More Cowbell
1,687 Posts
After having some black wheelarch trim popped off in an ostensibly "touchless" car wash (Uh-huh. Sure... :rolleyes: ) I vowed never to use an automated wash again. Even in -10ºC weather I'll go to a DIY wash bay to get the salt and grime off.

-CW

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I've always hand-washed my cars myself. Don't trust those car washes, and anyone else to do it properly to be honest :)

Veronica

·
Registered
Audi A6 (2017)
1 Posts
Got the best car wash near me at Rapid Xpress Flex Wash, we offer quality express exterior wash at affordable prices, using quality products and excellent attention to detail on your car. Getting your car washed professionally is an investment towards the upkeep and maintenance of your vehicle. The basic premise of Express Exterior Wash is to ensure that all the dirt, contaminants and road grime is washed away. If that is not done, the surface and paint of the vehicle will start getting damaged. You might notice that the glass, chrome, and paint will begin to fade, lose luster and become rough to touch. If there are scratches and dirt on the paintwork, the contaminants and dirt will work below the metal body, leading to corrosion and rust spots.
When we wash your car, we check over the damaged areas or weak spots before any potential problems arise. Usually, a weekly wash can help keep the car in good shape. You can become a member with just a few steps and enjoy a host of services.

- Dr. Hannah Baker [ Best Dentist Ancaster ]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.