MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my fuel filter on my 2009 mini and now it won't start... I had to replace the battery because I killed it trying to get it to start..... can anyone help me figure out what happened and why I can't get it started.... it turns over but never starts

·
Registered
2004 Mini Cooper R50 Chili Red, Midlands 5 speed manual
426 Posts
Can you hear the electric fuel pump run for a moment when you switch the key to On?

Don’t crank it, just turn it on and listen for the fuel pump.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm not far from the same issue mine was given a jump start to my van and after 30miles or so it's cut out and will not start and the driver side window stayed down and I'm really looking like, a tit I'm not getting any sleep

·
Registered
2004 Mini Cooper R50 Chili Red, Midlands 5 speed manual
426 Posts
I'm not far from the same issue mine was given a jump start to my van and after 30miles or so it's cut out and will not start and the driver side window stayed down and I'm really looking like, a tit I'm not getting any sleep
Does it crank over but not start, or is the battery dead?

If the battery is ok, begin with the basics: Spark, fuel and timing.

To check for spark, I use a spare spark plug on the end of one of the plug wires. I ground it to the engine with a jumper cable and have someone crank it over. You should see a healthy spark.

Can you hear the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds when you turn the key to On? If so, and you crank it and it doesn’t start, open the air filter box and see if you can smell gas.

Most of the time you’ll track down the problem that way before you have to check timing. If you have access to a code reader, check for codes. Even if there aren’t any, that’s information in itself. It means there’s nothing wrong with any of the sensors, actuators or ECM.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mini 60plate.16cc just stopped running I've drained the battery trying to get it running and now the driver side window has come down and is stuck in place, I've been told that it could be electrical and also that the timing chain may have slipped but I'm praying for the it not to be the chain.is there anyone who can help me 🙏

1 - 7 of 7 Posts