MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know where I can buy one of these for my MCS?, any help would be great fully received :D :D :D
 

·
Track addict
Joined
·
5,960 Posts
GRSmotorsport said:
Does anybody know where I can buy one of these for my MCS?, any help would be great fully received :D :D :D

John Cooper are bringing out a CF one shortly, but of course you'll have to pay between 2-3 times real value because it will have aa 'Works' logo on it.... :rolleyes:
 

·
Addicted to Speed!!
Joined
·
4,865 Posts
Tony*t3 said:
John Cooper are bringing out a CF one shortly, but of course you'll have to pay between 2-3 times real value because it will have aa 'Works' logo on it.... :rolleyes:
It's called "JCW tax". :rolleyes: ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,466 Posts
OMG! How gorgeous is that :eek:

Time to start saving the pennies I think :D :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,292 Posts
The information I've read about front strut braces and the MINI lead me to believe that a strut brace is more of a decorative thing than a performance enhancer due to the rigidity of the MINI front-end.

And I can't imagine why a 45-degree angle carbon-fiber weave would provide any strength at all.

So, in the spirit of helping my MINI pals, I've found this site that sells carbon-fiber peel-n-stick vinyl, and if you wrap it around the cardboard tube from some wrapping paper, you should be able to make a strut-brace that looks great, and probably has the same measurable performance as this one for about US$20

Carbon fiber-like vinyl



There might actually be front strut braces that do something for the MINI, but I suspect this one isn't one of them. I also understand that on other types of cars that are much more flexible than the MINI, that a front strut brace can make a difference in certain situations.

For dress-up, this is much cheaper, and WAY more fun when people learn it's a cardboard tube!
 

·
.
Joined
·
265 Posts
alankilian said:
The information I've read about front strut braces and the MINI lead me to believe that a strut brace is more of a decorative thing than a performance enhancer due to the rigidity of the MINI front-end. And I can't imagine why a 45-degree angle carbon-fiber weave would provide any strength at all.

So, in the spirit of helping my MINI pals, I've found this site that sells carbon-fiber peel-n-stick vinyl, and if you wrap it around the cardboard tube from some wrapping paper, you should be able to make a strut-brace that looks great, and probably has the same measurable performance as this one for about US$20

For dress-up, this is much cheaper, and WAY more fun when people learn it's a cardboard tube!
Mr. alankilian - I like your style and reasoning :cool: I can see why you have been banned from NAM (Too Pragmatic/Logical). Having said that, I think you might be right on this particular occasion :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
alankilian said:
The information I've read about front strut braces and the MINI lead me to believe that a strut brace is more of a decorative thing than a performance enhancer due to the rigidity of the MINI front-end.

And I can't imagine why a 45-degree angle carbon-fiber weave would provide any strength at all.

So, in the spirit of helping my MINI pals, I've found this site that sells carbon-fiber peel-n-stick vinyl, and if you wrap it around the cardboard tube from some wrapping paper, you should be able to make a strut-brace that looks great, and probably has the same measurable performance as this one for about US$20

Carbon fiber-like vinyl



There might actually be front strut braces that do something for the MINI, but I suspect this one isn't one of them. I also understand that on other types of cars that are much more flexible than the MINI, that a front strut brace can make a difference in certain situations.

For dress-up, this is much cheaper, and WAY more fun when people learn it's a cardboard tube!



you obviously know nothing about carbon fibre
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,292 Posts
steve1968 said:
you obviously know nothing about carbon fibre
But I'm ready to learn.

I understand the use of carbon fiber in tension to strengthen a straight rod when it is being stretched.

I can't see how a weave of carbon fiber mat at a 45-degree angle to the tensino/compression axis accomplishes anything.

You can help us a lot by explaining it to us.

It's great to have an expert online.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,029 Posts
alankilian said:
It's great to have an expert online.
PMSL, i like your style :D

Having spent my formative years getting greasy over many a pushbike as a shop mechanic when CF frames first came out, i can tell you that the biggest problem with carbon fibre in that sort of application is the joins to the Aluminium (aluminum for our american friends ;)) Loads of the first few CF frames just fell apart at the joins - crap glue... :rolleyes:

While i'm as sceptical as the next man :eek: and can see your point, without knowing which direction the underlying layers were going in I might wait and see before completely damning it ;)
 

·
MUGEN POWER
Joined
·
11,372 Posts
just a point to consider....I can't imagine the strut brace being full carbon more of an aluminium strut brace with carbon fibre covering:)

I've also heard they are pretty useless on a mini but I have no experience with one on a mini so can't really comment.

they do look pretty tho:D :p :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Remember F1 cars are built from carbon fibre because of its strength and lightness ;)I'll email BenFer Performance and ask the spec of their strut brace, I'm sure they're answer all our questions ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Dear Sir,

This Carbon Fiber strut brace is comprised of 12 layers of PrePreg Carbon Fiber (of different grades, though I cannot disclose the exact laminate schedule) laid up at 30 degree angles from each other to form a perfect 360 degrees. This process was developed for military aviation use by the company making these for us, and results in a structure that bears load in every direction. Lateral push-pull (the majority of force that a strut brace sees) is exactly what this bar was designed for, and in our beta vehicle, our driver noticed the biggest difference in load-transferring maneuvers such as a slalom. While the MINI is a very tight car, the addition of this strut brace only enhances the suspension for those who push their cars to the limit. For those who drive like a granny, then yes, this is only a cosmetic upgrade.

Regards,

Dan Bennion
BenFer Performance, Inc.
www.benferperformance.com


alankilian said:
The information I've read about front strut braces and the MINI lead me to believe that a strut brace is more of a decorative thing than a performance enhancer due to the rigidity of the MINI front-end.

And I can't imagine why a 45-degree angle carbon-fiber weave would provide any strength at all.


There might actually be front strut braces that do something for the MINI, but I suspect this one isn't one of them. I also understand that on other types of cars that are much more flexible than the MINI, that a front strut brace can make a difference in certain situations.
 

·
Un-Banned
Joined
·
1,999 Posts
BFP said:
Dear Sir,

This Carbon Fiber strut brace is comprised of 12 layers of PrePreg Carbon Fiber (of different grades, though I cannot disclose the exact laminate schedule) laid up at 30 degree angles from each other to form a perfect 360 degrees. This process was developed for military aviation use by the company making these for us, and results in a structure that bears load in every direction. Lateral push-pull (the majority of force that a strut brace sees) is exactly what this bar was designed for, and in our beta vehicle, our driver noticed the biggest difference in load-transferring maneuvers such as a slalom. While the MINI is a very tight car, the addition of this strut brace only enhances the suspension for those who push their cars to the limit. For those who drive like a granny, then yes, this is only a cosmetic upgrade.

Regards,

Dan Bennion
BenFer Performance, Inc.
www.benferperformance.com
Dan, do you know if this will fit over a GruppeM intake??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,292 Posts
Thanks Dan, it sounds like you are building these bars the right way.

I think you meant Axial loads instead of Lateral loads though. No biggie.

Can you tell us how much the MINI strut towers moved before you added the bar, and how much they moved after you added the bar?

Otherwise, the Placebo effect comes into play, and can raise questions about how much the driver's impressions were from the bar and how much they were from expecting the bar to make a difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
You're correct about the Axial loads vs. Lateral loads... my mistake

We do not have data supporting before/after movement of the strut towers with this bar (to be honest, I've never seen such data from a manufacturer). I can say, however, that the driver in our test is a frequent auto-x'er, and knows his car very well. He also got the bar for free, so there wasn't a vested interest in hoping it would perform better than no bar or another bar.

Regards,

Dan Bennion



alankilian said:
Thanks Dan, it sounds like you are building these bars the right way.

I think you meant Axial loads instead of Lateral loads though. No biggie.

Can you tell us how much the MINI strut towers moved before you added the bar, and how much they moved after you added the bar?

Otherwise, the Placebo effect comes into play, and can raise questions about how much the driver's impressions were from the bar and how much they were from expecting the bar to make a difference.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top